PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"...but a man can dream, can't he?"
I'm trying to remember a line from an old Cheech & Chong movie where one ol' timer is telling another that the last time he saw a naked woman was 40 yrs ago, "There she was in all her beauty...on the big silver screen!"

May 31, 2012
Cosmicfolklore tapdanced on the keyboard and wrote

I find that I just love the way a dublin with a conical interior bowl makes a Virginia stove as you smoke...
+1
I only have 3 pipes with true conical bowls, they're Danish dublins and they're totally conical, you're so right about how the cone shape enhances the flavors, seems to intensify them --- I have some Stanwells with semi-conical bowls and the effect is not as pronounced as the true conical.
I love this blogpost from N.A.R. about bowl geometry...

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/10/28/finding-that-magic-fit-between-pipe-and-tobacco.html
:puffy:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thinking about a Devil Anse to be used as a pocket pipe since my dog rusticated my Lollo for me. Any opinions on the shape?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
johnnyreb:
Here it is:
th

I would call this a variation on the Cutty shape, but that's just opinion. What say you?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter, I agree on the Cutty shape. I believe the bowl size on what most pipe makers are calling their Devil Anse tends to be a little bigger than Costner's was. Maybe too big to be a true pocket pipe. My Sav Lollo was perfect for that.
And that was a great mini series! I've watched it several times.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
johnnyreb:
After watching the series on television I found at a local used bookstore a copy of "The Hatfields and the McCoys" by Otis K. Rice, published by The University Press of Kentucky, and copyrighted 1978. I believe that it would be an interesting read for anyone curious to learn more about these two families and their infamous feud.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"
After watching the series on television I found at a local used bookstore a copy of "The Hatfields and the McCoys" by Otis K. Rice, published by The University Press of Kentucky, and copyrighted 1978. I believe that it would be an interesting read for anyone curious to learn more about these two families and their infamous feud."
Hunter,
I'm sure I would enjoy the book if a copy could be found. There are several articles online written in the 1970's when the grandchildren and their generation were still alive. And not to belabor the point, I know some "dramatic license" was taken in the telling in the mini series. It still was an entertaining series and good to see the History Channel make the effort to get back to telling history!

Status
Not open for further replies.