PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Our city has no rules against smoking (except on a swimming beach), but it seemed to me I’d rather be conservative.
I’d never leave wrappers in the woods. Blows my mind all the fishing gear and Gatorade bottles I find out there.
Garbage has gotten worse everywhere you go ... what is wrong with people ??? Did someone tell them there are public workers going around picking up after them and they are helping the economy or something ??? Its simply not true. I live near a university and the entrances/exits to the highway are littered with everything from clothes, food wrappers, liquor bottles, textbooks!, ... How can one not blame the parents who raised these spoiled brats ??? Sorry if this sounds peevish but its getting worse. I am now old enough to understand my own father saying "Darn Kids nowadays !!" :ROFLMAO:

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
The only places I "publically" smoke are relatively remote areas. These include the middle of a trout stream (I often see other fishermen smokers out there), campsites around the campfire, rental cabins/cottages on the front porch, and the like.
Over the years I have simply withdrawn into myself with pipe smoking (until I found this Forum, anyway), out of a combination of courtesy and anticipation of the appearance of the "Tobacco Police".

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I hear you OP! I'm new to pipe smoking, it's not a thing with anyone
MN is thawed out enough to break out the pipes again!

Last year I was just toying with the hobby, but now I'm actively using it to get space to think.
Most of my smoking happens in the garage, or while I mow the lawn.
I've got a lawn chair in the garage and it is pretty good for reading a book with a pipe.
I don't smoke in the house.
I would smoke in the truck or van, but not with the kids (or wife). Too bad because I don't find I ever get out without at least one kid in tow...
Attempting to start a bicycle hobby, the kids and I can enjoy some adventure biking the trails here, to playgrounds, fishing holes, etc...

There are lots of parks around, paths in the woods.
I'm not sure if it is "taboo" to smoke in public places outside my own property, and am feeling a little sheepish about it.

Lake boardwalk.
Wooded trails.
Playground (with my kids).
Campsites.

I'm going to go exploring and pushing boundaries anyway, but it seems wise to ask the forums' experience:
Anybody piping out in the wild and is it "socially unacceptable"?
Any courtesy you personally would keeping in mind?

Any recommended (non-specific) "favorite places" you enjoy smoking?
As you'd guess, we finally have spring here as well.

For me, it's my deck now. Late fall, winter, early spring - favorite place when weather cooperates is out on a vacant golf course out in the country while walking about with my youngest dog, even a bench at the farthest point out that is nice for sitting with a good view. Unless my wife joins me, he and I have acres and acres to ourselves, it's wonderful. Most practical place - garage. A few times in the house over the winter, but although my wife doesn't complain, it's not something she encourages, lol, and I like her happy!

I just don't smoke around other people, mostly a self-conscious thing and I just don't feel comfortable suggesting to anyone else where they should or shouldn't smoke their pipe - if it's legal, do what you are comfortable doing.

Enjoy spring!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I only smoke in my backyard, usually on the swing. I bring a pipe and tobacco with when we take the camper out...a pipe sitting by the campfire on a cool evening is the best.

Funny thing is, we have a fire pit in the backyard and I never sit by and smoke a pipe. Go figure.

Last edited:

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
The only place I can smoke while having a walk, in the comfort of my home or garden and at work at the smoking area. I try to be as courteous as possible, my habits are mine and I should not bother anyone with them. I'm fine with those options as I like to be alone when smoking, but I think it's absurd to prohibit smoking in a cigar lounge which is prohibited now or smoking in bars. What I'm more worried about is the anti tobacco sentiment which might make it prohibited one day. Maybe I won't live that long that I would see it happen, but still it is a possibility.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
While out walking the dog. Sadly the dog is too infirmed (Cushing's) to take on walks.
The other place is in the garden, surrounded by a jungle of tomatoes, chili peppers, cucumbers, egg plants and zucchinis.
Also while walking to the local shopping center, under the cover of the sycamores lining the sidewalk.
Once I get to the shopping center I have to pocket my pipe though.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I guess I should add that I rarely if ever smoke in public... I enjoy standing and BSing with the "smokers" but I cannot get satisfaction from a 5-10 min puff.

On another note, am I missing a way to edit posts? I hate to drop in another for an additive thought.....

Reactions: Piping Abe

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
For some reason ...that reminds me of the scene in Woody Allen's movie Sleeper :

I chuckled a bit on that scene, while quite old it's exactly the sentiment of present day. There is also a movement that finds it ridiculous which is getting quite extreme in the same manner, like people thinking sunscreen is more dangerous than getting melanoma (true story), just because government of any sort says you should use it.

Reactions: Hillcrest
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I guess I should add that I rarely if ever smoke in public... I enjoy standing and BSing with the "smokers" but I cannot get satisfaction from a 5-10 min puff.

On another note, am I missing a way to edit posts? I hate to drop in another for an additive thought.....
You have about 10 minutes to edit your post using the button in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Reactions: autococker07

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Well, in here in the Netherlands (Europe), we’re still allowed to smoke in the open air (outside café’s, restaurants and the street). I usually smoke inside the house or in our garden when the weather allows it. Sometimes I smoke while walking outside or something. People often find someone who smokes a pipe interesting, but I don’t want to come across as a poseur. So I just don’t do it that often. Smoking a pipe while sitting down and doing nothing (beside reading or talking), is my preferred way of doing it.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I've never really wanted to smoke in public, even in saloons. I smoke at my desk, or while watching a movie, or while driving. In other words, there is no clash between my smoking and the current hyper-sensitive zeitgeist. But I do like to walk around sometimes in public with an unlit cigar in my mouth. I consider it a sport: every once in a while you can snag some complete asshole complaining about the smoke. Yes, I'm a prick--so sue me.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I've never really wanted to smoke in public, even in saloons. I smoke at my desk, or while watching a movie, or while driving. In other words, there is no clash between my smoking and the current hyper-sensitive zeitgeist. But I do like to walk around sometimes in public with an unlit cigar in my mouth. I consider it a sport: every once in a while you can snag some complete asshole complaining about the smoke. Yes, I'm a prick--so sue

Hah! That is quite humorous when that happens. I have sometimes clenched an unlit pipe with similar results as you suggest from folks far away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Tinder Box operated in the nearest large mall in my city for many years, but could not ever permit smoking, despite its inventory of cigars in a humidor and pipes and bulk and tins of pipe tobacco. It smelled good in there, but smoking was verboten.

Eventually they moved to a different location in the mall, for about another five years, and finally they closed. That or another Tinder Box franchise moved to a different mall in a nearby city. That mall has freestanding shops in a large parking area, and I wonder if they don't permit smoking in that configuration. I've never been there, but I suspect they do. Incongruous to have a pipe shop where you can't smoke.

My local independent shop has always had a smoking table, got it grandfathered into its business with the city, and has a pencil written disclaimer on the front door, which I love. Don't want to breath a little smoke? Don't come in. Fair enough.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I chuckled a bit on that scene, while quite old it's exactly the sentiment of present day. There is also a movement that finds it ridiculous which is getting quite extreme in the same manner, like people thinking sunscreen is more dangerous than getting melanoma (true story), just because government of any sort says you should use it.
I agree but some sunscreens do have carcinogenic properties, not all. Its the 'Henny Pennys" who are the problem. I don't want to cause trouble but I can't find anyone to tell me: there was a recent illness for which everyone seemed to be testing positive but the inventer of the test and a former first world govt (2 science agencies) said the test didn't test for that illness... so how was everyone testing positive ? How is that possible ? Whatever happened to free will and independent thinking ?

P.S. Quite Old ??? I was in third grade ... not that old ! ;)

Reactions: SaxonX and kola

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I agree but some sunscreens do have carcinogenic properties, not all. Its the 'Henny Pennys" who are the problem. I don't want to cause trouble but I can't find anyone to tell me: there was a recent illness for which everyone seemed to be testing positive but the inventer of the test and a former first world govt (2 science agencies) said the test didn't test for that illness... so how was everyone testing positive ? How is that possible ? Whatever happened to free will and independent thinking ?

P.S. Quite Old ??? I was in third grade ... not that old ! ;)
Relatively speaking old then ?.

Your comment on the 21st century plague is exactly the point of the anti-sunscreen cult.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Relatively speaking old then ?.

Your comment on the 21st century plague is exactly the point of the anti-sunscreen cult.
I think I am lost in finding the logic of the differing groups. Whichever group you choose, pro product or pro govt or anti-product or anti-govt, you have to have real facts not assumptions and speculation. Every product can be bad if you consume two 55 gallon drums of it in one sitting ! (Except Old Toby!)
I guess in the end I am against anti-thinking and anti-logic ... ie: anti- 'Bereft of reason. '
But then ... I am 'relatively' old !;):ROFLMAO: