PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
San Diego
One of the allures to pipe smoking is not only the vast differences in different tobaccos but the lust to collect beautiful, wonderful smoking pipes. The different shapes, designs, smooth vs rusticated, and factory vs artisan makers. I have a small collection of less than a dozen (I seem to be partial to Italian pipes) but am always on the look out to add new and interesting pipes. What are you favorites not only to smoke but to have in your collection?

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I would have a hard time keeping a pipe in my collection that I’m not including in my smoking rotation. Although pipe smoking and pipe collecting is a lot different than coffee drinking and mug collecting, it would just fine if I focused on the tobacco experience and thought of pipes like the (slightly elevated) vehicle for it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here are some I recently posted on the "collecting ethos" thread:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
One of the allures to pipe smoking is not only the vast differences in different tobaccos but the lust to collect beautiful, wonderful smoking pipes. The different shapes, designs, smooth vs rusticated, and factory vs artisan makers. I have a small collection of less than a dozen (I seem to be partial to Italian pipes) but am always on the look out to add new and interesting pipes. What are you favorites not only to smoke but to have in your collection?
Honestly, my favorite pipes to collect, are the sub 100 dollar pipes. They are more fun to smoke for me. Doesn't matter the brand, location etc.

dog_park_piper

Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Also, I have one pipe I that I forget I am holding when I’m watching movies or something. It has a great feel in the hand. I’m not into fidget spinners, but it’s almost does the same thing. It’s a pipe I need to keep in the collection.

Reactions: sablebrush52

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
At one stage it was old Britwoods and Bulldogs.
Lately it has been Danish.
And in between, anything that catches my fancy or curiosity.

Favourite shapes are Bulldogs, Billiards (straight and bent), cuttys and Belges, eggs, brandys, apples/tomatoes, Lovats.

Favourite brands - any of the old Britwoods eg Barling, Loewe, Comoy, BBB, GBD, Dunhill, Charatan (I can't abide most of the Lane era monstrosities esp ones with the double comfort stems), Sasieni.
Of the non-Britwood factory pipes I like Stanwell and Peterson.

Along the way I have accumulated mortas, meerschaums (Turkish and Tanzanian, both new and ancient), gourd calabashes, olive wood, cherry wood, clay, porcelain and even an ivory pipe.

I try to smoke all my pipes.
Some more often than others. We all have favourites ;)

Happy smokes everyone puffy

felix888

Lurker
Jul 23, 2024
I completely agree! The variety of pipes is a huge part of the pipe smoking hobby. I've got a small collection going too, and I'm particularly fond of Danish and Japanese makers. There's something about the sleek, modern designs that really speaks to me.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
We all know what I collect. In recent years I have slowed down on the collecting thing as I approach my sixth decade. Also with the passing of my friend @weezel the other great 'cutty' collector I get the feeling that I may with a few exceptions be the only hard core 'cutty' guy left out here. To collect these pipes also requires a love of the period tobacco that was smoked in them which is not to everyone on here's taste.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I collect (actually that’s not the right term) what I like. I’m not here to impress anyone.
I’ve got probably 40ish pipes now, and the only “collection” are the ten my father pre-inherited me-only two are pipes I would’ve bought, and even then I wouldn’t have spent probably even current estate prices to get them.
There are many members here that buy pipes that a single sample is multiples of my total investment. Good for them, but that’s just not what floats my boat.
I really get a kick out of restoring WWII and earlier American pipes back to smoking tools I use often. I’ve got nine Kaywoodies of that era, but don’t consider myself a Kaywoodie collector.
I’ve bought a total of two new briars and two new mini-meers and all four come in under $200. The Sven Lar in my avatar is the only pipe I own that wouldn’t grab to smoke while I’m out working on the property, on the job, or in the shop and only because it’s impractical. I smoke it whilst thinking fondly of my dad because it adorned his desk as long as I can remember.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Years ago when I had more income concentrated on name brand with lots of grain. Now I smoke and collect what is known as sleepers of little known makers. The on line quality pipe sales have resulted in much higher prices from dealers. I now buy Calich, Trypis, Safferling, Kalnitz to name a few that seldom are sold on the free hand market. All are great smokers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tmcg81

Lifer
May 8, 2020
NJ
I'm always on the lookout for a Kaywoodie shape 07 billiard. I have two, but I would like to have many, many more.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I like Italian pipes but after getting a fair number of them my eye seems to be turning to Danish and German pipes. WIth German pipes I enjoy Paul Beckers work. In Danish pipes Ive been able to pick up a couple of Kai's estates for a nice price. I stick with briar. I cant seem to warm up to meers, though I like seeing other peoples in the WAYS thread. Im trying, with some futility, to slow my purchases. I bought way too many this month. That said, I dont regret it!

There are still a few classic shapes I want. I just havent found the right one yet.

Reactions: dog_park_piper