Favorite Pipe Smoking Character in Movie or TV Show.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
The South Park Underpants Gnomes smoked pipes.
Underpants_Gnomes.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Basil Rathbone and Lee Van Cleef. Both were reallife pipers and both smoked Peterson's. I had the honor of knowing Mr. Van Cleef. He liked WDC's also. Pstlpkr's avatar shows him with an amber stemed WDC meer.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for that info Chuckw,

I watched "For a Few Dollars More" last night.

Actors that act like they are smoking pipes, don't do it very well.

Mr. Van Cleef does it very well.

I've always loved that pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
With respect to Lee Van Cleef, I enjoy two of his earlier movies:
  • Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

It Conquered The World (1956)

The former was a cameo role in a stop-action dinosaur flick; in the latter he befriended a 3 foot tall Venusian shaped like a turnip.

I'm not sure he's too proud of either film; but a paycheck is a paycheck. (I don't think he smoked a pipe in either film.)

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Great pics ghost. The thing I like about William Conrad as Cannon is you can definitely tell he is a smoker. He has a cool tobacco box that he dips his pipe in and thumb loads, and properly lights his pipe.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
William Conrad:
http://briarfiles.blogspot.com/2008/08/featured-pipe-smoker-william-conrad.html

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
If you want info on any movie or television show ever made. The actors, directors, producers, and even the crew. Filming locations, whatever. Go to www.imdb.com

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Picture-114-300x189.png

Did you guys see Glenn Beck w/ a pipe. Although he's making pipe smokers look smug intellects, Its just nice to see a pipe on the tube.
(Fixed Photo - Bob)

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't recall any skits where he smoked his pipe but as one of the creators of Monty Python's Flying Circus, Graham Chapman will always be a favorite of mine.
chapman.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Brazz, I fixed your post for you. When you are posting a link from Photobucket, just paste the Photobucket link. Do not click the IMG button here on the post.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My favorite TV pipe smokers are Ronald Howard as Sherlock Holmes, and Howard Marion Crawford as Watson in the mid 1950's

Crawford (Watson) played Sherlock Holmes on BBC Radio prior to that.

Ronald Howard also played Wil Scarlet, in the TV series "The Adventures of Robin Hood" brought to you by "Wildwood Cream Oil" :) Inspector Lestrade "Archie Duncan" also played "Little John" in "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

All were pipe smokers.
Ronald_Howard.jpg
Ronald_Howard_02.jpg
ArchieDuncan.jpg
ArchieDuncanLittleJohn.jpg

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
One of mt favorite pipe movies is " The Quite Man" starring John Wayne. The Duke smokes cigs through the movie but there are pipe smokers every where in the film and some really great pipes.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Pistol Packer I agree with you on that mid 50s Sherlock series. Holmes and Watson skoked some cool pipes. On the first episode, in the men's club, Watson is smoking a very enviable pipe.
Does anyone remember the John Wayne movie, that shows his wife filling his pipe for him, when he comes in from a hard day? Nice thought, but I like to fill me own.
You're welcome Cortez.

Status
Not open for further replies.