Favorite Pipe Smoking Character in Movie or TV Show.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Pstpkr, that Robin Hood movie was filmed here in my town. Look up The Adventures of Robin Hood on www.imdb.com, and go to filming locations and there it is. I hike there all the time. It is now a state park. There were many westerns like Fort Apache, and television shows like Gun Smoke filmed there. There is a giant empty pool with camera windows that was used for lake scenes there too. Tarzan movies were big there too.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's very cool Dunendain,

The arrow stunt's/shots were done by a fellow that came from the little town of Wilsonville.

That's about 30 minutes from here. Howard Hill, he has been shown on the History Channel's series called Extreme Marksmen. The archer that they focus on (on the show) discusses him and plays homage to him. There is some old film of him as well about 3:30 seconds in to this clip.
[/url]Byron Ferguson and Howard Hill

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'll second a vote for Lee Van Cleef. I'm 27 and a huge spaghetti western fan, Cleef smoked his own personal pipes and can be seen frequently in his pictures with a pipe in hand, sometimes different ones in the same flick ... and sometimes the same pipe in different movies. Recently bought a 7" semi-churchwarden on eBay that is very similar to his party scene pipe in "The Big Gundown" (don't bother looking for it on DVD, you can check the movie out on YouTube though).

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The new Sherlock Holmes featuring Robert Downing, Jr. has become my favorite rendition of Holmes, next to Rathbone. He smokes a clay pipe, which is actually used to frustrate a diabolical scheme.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Something about this era of shows and films appeals to me
178005-22989124-04a1-11e3-97eb-a694c07fee36.jpg

DevilAnsewPipelg.jpeg

p_3302900_0.jpg

tumblr_m66cl1sRxi1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Charles Bronson in The Mechanic. He smoked his pipe quite a bit in that and you could tell he knew what he was doing.
Also Hugh Hefner in his late night show from the 60's.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Love Wyatt Earp, I would love to have been a cowboy in the late 1800. Smoking a pipe on my front porch of the house I built with my own hands with a six-gun on my hip. Awwww such simpler times

abur27

Lurker
Sep 16, 2015
Bill the butcher from gangs of newyork and gandalf and Billbo bagins from lord of the rings love the scene when Gandalf blows the ship through the circle that billbo blows.

allanman

Lurker
Jul 27, 2010
the Calabash pipe was evidently chosen by Actor William Gillette for the 1899 play "Sherlock Holmes" (he also wrote and directed the play), and he wanted a prop that would be large enough to be identified through out the theater. He also gave us the Deerstalker cap, which previously was just a cap with flaps and the Inverness cape, for Halmesian regalia.
By the time of Basil Rathbone film portrayals, of course, the camera could catch a more common sized pipe and it be identified. In the written Holmes the most common reference to a pipe is a "greasy old clay", with the shag cut tobacco in the toe of a Persian slipper.
IF you are setting out to view ALL of the Sherlock films and television shows you have your work cut out for you... there over 250 of them, and that does not count things like episodes of tv shows where they do a pastiche of Holmes & Watson.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2009/09/15/p_2695390_0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.