PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I'm looking to get a new Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipe and am torn between the rusticated and sandblasted finishes.
So, which do you all like best?
Also, if you feel like putting yourselves out there, which shape do you prefer?

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have them all and love them all, for Christmas my Partner has bought me a whole set of Sherlock range all set in a Peterson Sherlock Rack, all of them smooth, when she told me what she had found she said all are unsmoked and bought as a set in 1971, I asked "have you got that date right" she say's yes, I says you better let me see the transaction because the Sherlock range didn't come out until the late 80's, so she showed me my Xmas present transaction and the seller definitely stated 71, but still a great price and a beautiful set, anyway she contacted the seller and he had put down 71 when he should have said 91, so I have seen my Xmas present in pic's but it's still in the box it was delivered in and won't be open until Xmas morning where I shall have 7 new Petersons to brake in.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Sandblasted Strand is the one I have. Love it!
View attachment 264805
This is not a "PSB" but it has a great craggy blast.

I love this shape and the Deerstalker too. I might buy a smooth of one of those someday, or another Strand in the smooth finish. In general I prefer a smooth finish.
Seriously nice looking pipe you have there! I also like the Deerstalker, however, your Strand is a looker as well. It appears to have a slight bit more bend than the ones I see on SP currently.

Reactions: Winnipeger

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have a Professor Iora - blast and a two tone contrast I love. Also a Professor in natural, smooth. My favorite POTY 4 AB is the terracotta. In general, my favorite Pete stain is what is on the Arklow and not usually found on a Sherlock, although it’s on the latest PPN. Most of mine are mix of blast and rustication (which I actually like).

Last edited:

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
Blasts for me. I just got this PSB Strand and love it.

53356038795_1ac2f19cd3_k.jpg

Their PSBs are usually good, but occasionally one will pop up that I wonder how they let it out of the factory with the PSB grade. Their standard blasts can be really good, if you're picky and patient. The rusticated finishes are more hit or miss for me, usually miss. I have a couple that I like, but they mostly look too patterned to my eye.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
In the Sherlock Holmes series, the sandblasted versions sold in the USA have a red understain, just like the PSB finish. So, the biggest difference between a sandblasted and PSB SH pipe is the blast itself. You can often find a very nice sandblasted piece. Just be sure to buy from either a local shop where you can look at the pipe, or buy from an online source where the actual pipe you will receive is photographed.

I have a couple of sandblasted Return of Sherlock Holmes pipes which I ordered from Miss Moran’s in Belfast, which were listed as PSB. They weren’t. They are solid black sandblasts which were exclusive to the UK. The process of returning them through customs seemed potentially expensive, so I kept them and they’re still unsmoked. One of these days I’ll sell them. One was a Strand and the other a Hudson.

I’m partial to the Milverton.