PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Well Damn, I gues Dunhill Darkflake is the #1 OTC blend right now. How 'bout a new one: OTGS.
OVER THE GOOGLE SPHERE

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
If we go with "OTC" as limited to "If your ONLY option was to get your tobacco at Wally-world or CVS," I'd go with any of Sean's choices, mostly Sir Walter, Carter Hall, or 79. My 1st-choice fallback has always been Captain Black (either white or gold); I've never gone wrong with it, even *though* my real favorite bowl filler is almost always more exotic.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I agree that ‘pouch tobacco’ is a more appropriate designation than ‘OTC’ - at least in my rural area. Few places carry pipe tobacco. One smoke shop (99% cigarettes) has CH.
One of my favorite pouch tobaccos is Five Brothers. If you’re new to pipe smoking you’ll want to read it’s reviews first before smoking it. It has a pretty good nic hit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In defense of over-the-counter blends, blend-for-blend, I believe (for whatever reason) these blends more often give a slow even burn requiring fewer relights, and end up burning more of the tobacco with full flavor. I'm not saying they equal all of the lovely experiences of premium blends, but they have much to offer, and some of the blends are right up there with premium, selectively. If you like them, you can really enjoy the benefits.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The only true OTC I ever had was my first, and that was Captain Black Gold. I really liked it because it didn't smell too strong and my girlfriend at the time, wasn't a big fan of vanilla, so I went with the gold since it was a little shorter on the vanilla scent. If I had to choose an OTC to go with, I would probably go for the Gold yet again, mostly out of nostalgia. That is, if you can find it in the store somewhere. Drug stores used to carry it a plenty, then they all said it didn't make sense to carry something that is unhealthy in a place you go to buy things to get healthy...except for the beer/wine they sell...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mso489,I'm do agree, let us take a look say at any Mc Baren company produced offerings,to name a few most popular blend,Amphora,St Bruno or Mc Baren Golden Extra,Scottish mixture,I have hard time to find them being any inferior to so called boutique blends,at least when these are blended by Mc Baren,I refer here to the quality of used tobacco leaf in these imported blends which mostly seem to be pretty nice today.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Concur with paulie66 & mso. "If you were on a tobacco desert island," & the only choices were CB, SWR, Carter Hall, or 1/2&1/2, you could certainly live comfortably enough. If I couldn't get Gatlinburlier to airdrop me something good, I could still smoke CB till I died. Just because a blend is "drugstore stuff" doesn't mean there aren't good-enough ones there. Them's my smoke rings & I'm stickin' to 'em....

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Out of the choices you mentioned in your OP Carter Hall is your best bet. It burns and smokes easily and is a great mixer.
To answer the thread title my fav is Walnut. Since its no more,

htc-tp-1000.png

Since JimInks has been smoking Edward G Robinson lately, I've been craving it. Once I smoke down my open tins I'll crack open a tin of Edward G, and watch

Scarlet_Street_p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.