PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I'm gonna say that PA, CH, and SWR are all worthy.

You can also get a tuab of CH right now, according to what I saw on their website (Cigars International) yesterday, a TUB of CH for $26.something.

That's a good deal!

I suggest as well that you try Rowland from D&R.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Local to me in the UK the only OTC available are St.Bruno and Condor. I'm not a fan of either but since Condor is the work of the devil I'll choose St.Bruno.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I like all the OTC blends that are listed in this thread. One that isn't mentioned is Smokers Pride Rich Taste. It's one of those bag blends that is advertised as pipe tobacco. I don't consider it as RYO tobacco. The cut is more like a pipe tobacco cut. Great taste that smokes cool and has a mild to medium nic hit. It's great as an all day blend that will not bite and wear out your taste buds. Smokes best in a cob IMO.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
My list for OTC:
1) Sir Walter Raleigh.

2) Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

3) Mixture 79 - You gotta love an American "Lakeland."

4) Half & Half

5) Carter Hall
I really don't like Prince Albert. It's pure cigarette flavor for me and that's a show stopper.
Cheers,
Chili

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many good ones. Right now my two favorites are Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (burley, Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs), and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. Some other really nice ones include John Bull Royal English, Erin Go Braugh, and the ever-popular Prince Albert. Pouch tobaccos are underrated, and many are as pleasing as premium blends. There is a reason so many OTC's have been around so long. Most have a really good burn, even and not too fast. Over-the-counter is a sort of misnomer these days, since groceries, drug stores, and convenience stores carry few if any pipe tobaccos, and even the smoke shop chains that cater to carton cigarettes carry only two or three blends, if those. I'd say, for today's purposes, anything sold in a pouch is OTC. Bag tobaccos and bulk are slightly different and have to be grouped differently, or that's my notion anyway.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Once upon a time it was Captain Black white, lived on that stuff for several years. Most recently before running out forever it was Walnut. :(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
JC, pipesandcigars' blender Russ O. has done a nice job capturing Walnut in their pouch and tub blend Chestnut. Try a pouch and see if it is enough like your memories of Walnut. I never tried Walnut, but I enjoy Chestnut a lot -- in their Home and Hearth Midtown series, at a friendly price.

Mar 29, 2016
Sir Walter Raleigh and Price Albert both have less topping than Half and Half and Carter Hall so I would go for those. Even though it's not on your list, Amphora Original is also worth trying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One advantage of OTC blends is that you can sample a pouch at low cost, so you can take a chance. I haven't yet tried Capt. Black Grape, but the idea is novel enough that I might, for five or six bucks, or less. Likewise with Mixture 79, the subject of so many good jokes on Forums, and devotedly recommended by at least one member. On a more serious note, most of the blends recommended in earlier posts on this thread would be worth trying. You'd likely find several you really like. I would add to this current list that old Kentucky burley rough cut favorite Granger. Granger is definitely worth a try. It's a little stronger than most, but not abusive. Technically I think Granger is an aromatic, but not so that you think of a flavor as you smoke the first bowl. No vanilla, caramel, plum, anise, or whatever. Tobacco forward for sure. Also in the pouch tobacco league, and definitely on the full-strength side, is Five Brothers, a jolt by itself and a boost for milder blends.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Only one OTC available where I live, MacBaren Mixture Scottish blend. It is a good blend, but boring if smoked to much. I use it to bring myself down to earth once or twice a week.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
wow, thanks for all of the input. There are some on here that I forgot about or didn’t consider. I’ll have to stick up on a few and see how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.