PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GabrielSTB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2022
Philadelphia
I put down the bottle a while back now as well. Coffee was always my go to pipe companion but I switched to tea a few years ago and I’m obsessed. There are so many varieties to choose from. Black tea goes with everything but you can get creative with oolong, Japanese green tea, pu-erh, hei cha, matcha, and hojicha. All varying levels of caffeine as well

Mar 1, 2014
Gave up the booze awhile back now (insert winners never quit joke here) and was wondering what everyone's favorite beverage pairing with a pipe is on the NA side? Would love specifics, so instead of "tea" perhaps "this one black spice tea I get from the Armenian market on my corner" or something to that effect :sher:?
Technically you should never pair alcohol with smoking regardless of your proclivities because alcohol dissolves the protective mucus in your mouth and exacerbates absorption of carcinogens.

If I'm smoking a low nic blend then I prefer Tea with Lime, if it's a strong blend then I'll grab a Dr. Pepper.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I used to get Teavana Maharaja Chai but Teavana is gone. Bigelow makes a great vanilla chia that I have with tobacco. Stopped drinking years ago. Adagio has a great selection to choose from for loose mixes.

Reactions: JOHN72

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I enjoy food/drink pairing, but to my taste, no attempted pairing has complemented pipe smoke well besides
a medium roast Sumatran coffee with a Balkan tobacco.

Most other coffee/tobacco combinations tended to detract both ways.

A few other drink possibilities may be neutral, but don't enhance anything (water, tea).
But most other drink possibilities positively clash (any alcohol, IMO).

I don't see the need to drink anything while smoking a pipe.
Although I enjoy parsing a tobacco for flavor, like a food or a drink, I don't categorize tobacco with food and drink so far as pairing goes. For me, it's an evening enjoyment to be had on its own.

If I'm thirsty while smoking, I'll drink water, just like any other time.

(But again, I will admit that a medium roast Indonesian coffee and a Balkan mixture do really complementary things together.)