PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Last Fall I was a dark leaf devotee of the first order. Then something happened. I'm not sure what precisely, but I've lost the taste for it entirely. A most generous forum member to whom I still need to send out a return of favor, sent me a sample of Penzance. I thought it was great and recognized and appreciated it's quality, particularly the balancing of the musty brininess against the sweetly sharp anise topping. But, I had to force myself to finish the bowl.
I'm putting together my Fall pad list, with an eye toward Winter and noticing big black holes where the lat blends are supposed to go. So, once again I turn to you good people. What's on your list that is absent latakia or man made flavoring agents (distilled ok, lol)?
At this point, I'm looking at IF and FVF in the definite column, something from the McClellands Royal Cajun series, Butera's matured in the maybe's and anything from MacB's in the no go category (foolish, misdirected moral argument). What else?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
For me it's tough to NOT smoke something with Lat during cooler weather. However, you can bet I'll still be turning to GLP - Triple Play and C&D's - Five O'Clock Shadow. Two of my faves that don't contain lat.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Ok, Triple play has been on my list for a while now. So has Haddo's too. I'll add both, thanks!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I think the IF and FVF are good ones and would also recommend HH ODF.
C&D Old Joe Krantz and Big N' Burley also come to mind.
Newminter #403 Superior Round Slices is a fantastic bulk ... sweet and smooth.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Perhaps G&H ropes would fit the bill? Some are sold in ready chopped versions as well, saves you the fun or trouble of slicing and drying.
If you like IF ( my first "real" baccy, instant love, as a matter of fact working my way through a tin this week ), the ropes have the same profile, but stronger in the Vitamin N department.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a big fan of 5100 with a big dollop of Perique added in. A really nice, spicy bowl to warm a cold morning.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would recommend the Royal Cajun special, the dark is also really good, the special is smoother, the dark a bit more robust and spicy.
I thought it was great and recognized and appreciated it's quality, particularly the balancing of the musty brininess against the sweetly sharp anise topping. But, I had to force myself to finish the bowl.

Confusing statement, I've never had a tobacco I thought was great that made me force myself to finish the bowl. Epiphany is the one tobacco I've found so far I have to force myself to finish every once and a while I revisit it, but I wouldn't call it a great quality balanced smoke.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Confusing statement, I've never had a tobacco I thought was great that made me force myself to finish the bowl.

Manduela makes beautiful pipes but I've never seen one that I felt I must have. Same idea.
Perhaps G&H ropes would fit the bill?

Great suggestion! I'll look in to these.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Today in Birmingham the temperature is supposed to reach 97deg in the shade. I know not of this "Fall" of which you speak.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Same here, Nate. 98 today, 99 tomorrow.
The only "fall" I've seen lately are the dogs dropping off the front porch.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I used to love Pease's Embarcadero in the fall.
Now it's more Full Virginia Flake and Red Flake / Red Ribbon.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I'm like most others it seems, cool weather = latakia (though I smoke lat blends year round) but for me Fall is a good time for aromatics too. Something along the lines of C&D's Autumn Evening would be perfect I think.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
bigpond:
Allow me to recommend Pipeworks & Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish. According to the description on Ms. Burns' Website (Pipeworks & Wilke Tobaccos) it is, "A well balanced blend of Virginia and Carolina tobaccos along with fermented Black Cavendish and just the right amount of Vermont maple syrup."
To me this is an ideal cool- / cold-weather pipe-tobacco.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Perhaps something with Dark Fired to give depth and interest without the Latakia? GL Pease Jacknife Plug or SixPence?
I also like GL Pease Haddos.
I can smoke Virginia year round, so I'm probably not a lot of help. Perhaps adding some perique- Escudo, etc might liven up and add depth to your cool weather smoke....burley too perhaps. Old Dark Fired maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.