PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D is remarkable in developing non-aromatic burley blends. I don't know of another blender who has done as

much in this area. Among my favorites are Pegasus, Golden Ash, Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Big 'n Burley, Dark

Burley, and others. All those are bulk tobaccos. I'm holding a tin of Riverboat Gambler which I am eager to try.

Burley can be a polarizing tobacco. Some say it always bites. Some can't taste it at all. Others find it perfectly

awful. But for those who enjoy burley, Cornell & Diehl is perhaps the master source.
How in the world did this thread get revived from a year ago? Anyway, C&D is always news.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
These are a few that I have tried that will be added to the cellar Odessa,Poplar Camp,Red Odessa.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Opening Night.
One of my favorite Virginia flakes, sweat & tasty.
Smoking a bowl now :puffy:

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
First Responders (Peace's Tribute blend)

Bayou Morning
Still haven't popped my tin of Kajun Kake, so I can't recommend it as of yet, but the two mentioned above are exceptional va/pers. I popped a tin of Chenet's Cake and cannot recommend it as of yet. You can tell it was blended for aging. The Perique hit is massive and somewhat overwhelming.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Three Friars is a newly discovered favorite for me. And I love Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz, too. I need to try Exhausted Rooster next time I'm able to cobble together an order.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Poplar Camp has been a favorite of mine for years. I've tried Star of the East in the past but felt it was a bit heavy on the Latakia.
I just received two pounds of Poplar Camp and a half pound of Latakia from Smoking Pipes. I've always felt Poplar Camp was just a touch of Latakia away from a nice English blend so I blended two ounces of Latakia with 6 ounces of Poplar Camp as an experiment and I quite like it though I may blend some more with a bit more Latakia. I put about half of my new blend up in a jar to age for a few months and am anxious to try it after it ages for a few months.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have decided on 3 Friars and Bayou Morning as my two daily smokes now. I have bought in quite large quantities and jared them up. Won't get too much age on them as I smoke so much of them. They really have fine flavor and taste outstanding with coffee. This morning I sat on the porch drinking Christmas Blend with Bayou Morning in a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker. It is such a good way to start the day. I much prefer this Black Friday to the other Black Friday.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate here. Smoke this everyday before bed, and as a mid afternoon treat on the weekends.

Last edited:

robykeys82

Lurker
Nov 6, 2015
Living in Italy, grabbing some C&D is quite difficult, unless:

1) going to Switzerland (good option, but pricey)

2) going to the US (pricey but the tobacco price is low)

3) having a friend/relative going to the USA... :D
I was lucky with option 3, with my wife going for a company meeting in Rhode Island last month. So, I was able to grab the following:
- 1 Tin of Star of the East Flake

- 1 Tin of Mississippi Mud

- 1 Oz of Bayou Morning

- 1 Oz of Bayou Night

- 1 Oz of Byzantium
Here are my comments/ratings:
Star of the East Flake: 10/10. My favourite tobacco so far (2 years of pipe smoking). Heavy on the Latakia, this is a great blend, from opening the tin to emptying your pipe :) For the Latakia lover who doesn't want a strong blend.
Mississippi Mud: 7/10. I'm struggling with this, I read many awesome reviews about it, but for some reason I like it, but not as much I hoped. Probably the Black Cavendish is covering the Latakia and the Perique. Muddy, indeed.
Bayou Morning: 8.5/10. A great Va-Pe blend, I really like it.
Bayou Night: still have to give it a rating, but... this one is maybe too strong for me. I smoked half a bowl, and I almost had nausea!
Byzantium: 8/10. Another really good Latakia blend, with the addition of Perique. Really really good. Next time I may get a tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.