PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I find myself smoking burleys more and more. I just enjoy them. Wondering whats everyone's favorite burley or burley blend?

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
John Patton's Stormfront is one I've found a good deal of pleasure in lately. It makes me think of everything that I liked about PA and SWR with a nice creamy smoke and a character all its own.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Solani Aged Burley Flake is the caviar of burley to me I also like C&D's burley flakes 1 through 4. C&D Safe harbor is very good. McB's London Blend is worth mentioning.Carter Hall is my OTC of choice.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
L J. Peretti BPC (burley plug cut) and 333 mixture. Uhle's blend 300 or Perfection Plug cut burley. McClelland X-40, Wessex burley slices, those are some favorites. I just can't single it down to just one.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
PA is my old standby. I always seem to go back to it.

princealbert_1.jpg

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I've smoked Carter Hall every day I've smoked since 1959, but there are others I've found that a equally as good. Mac Baren Norwood is a sleeper blend, in that nobody ever talks about ut, but it's wonderful, as are Londer Burley and Golden Extra. But if I had to pick just one burley, I think it might be Velvet.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Good choice on the Velvet...I just finished a can of it this month.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've come to love burleys, too. C&D Burley Flake #2 is good -- sort of "fruity" and just a tiny bit sweet from the VA's.
My favorite burley blend so far is bulk white burley, cased with a bit of honey water, wrapped in foil and toasted in my toaster over at 200 degrees for 2 hours. Yummy, cool-smoking stuff with just a touch of "spice" from the honey flavor.
I also like Prince Albert, but would like to try some of the other OTC "codger" blends.
BTW, those of you have tried Solani Aged Burley Flake, does it have any or much Kentucky dark fired? Or is it just regular burleys pressed and aged? Thanks!

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
English/Balkan blends are my main smokes, but I turn to a Burley blend when I want a changeup, usually at least once a week. Used to smoke SWR regularly years ago, but now find Carter Hall and Bald Headed Teacher from 4Noggins to be my Burleys of choice. BHT is a real favorite, probably because of the Latakia. I often take a pouch of CH to the range.

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
I prefer my burley dark fired. Jnp, solani burley flake, Cumberland comes to mind

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
I drool over pipesandcigars.com Butternut Burley!!
From their web page and I agree with every word
Scotty's Butternut Burley is faintly reminiscent of Lane's 1Q or RLP-6 aromatic offerings, yet in a class all its own. Upon first lighting up, your initial surprise will be the complete lack of tongue bite; this holds true consistently throughout the bowl, as this tobacco has the least tongue bite of any any aromatic going. This blend packs easily, lights readily and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle to contend with in the bottom of the bowl. How is it for taste? Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor. After the bowl is done, expect a pleasant lingering sensation on your palate with no bitterness at all. Mild enough to be an all-day smoke, Butternut Burley leaves a pleasant room note sure to be a hit even with the non-smokers in the crowd. Scotty's Butternut Burley is the perfect tobacco to introduce a beginning pipe smoker to the fine art, and is sure to be a favorite of seasoned veterans as well. by Kurt O'Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.