PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I kinda do what you said, make my own blend. Use C&D Burley Ribbon Cut (which is the base of most of their burley blends) with Sutliff Stoved Virgina for a little sweetness and Sutliff TS-20 Perique for earthiness. Smoke this all day!
This sounds excellent. I’ve been thinking about making a similar blend, but adding some golden Virginia. Curious about your ratios.

Reactions: Meerly John

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
It is amazing after all these years I still learn new stuff on this site. I never knew they made straight Burley and Perique blends. Are the blends totally devoid of Virginia's?
Off the top of my head, I can’t think of even one. I’m thinking (and may very well be wrong) that there is at least a percentage of Virginia no mater how small. Maybe someone else will chime in?

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
It is amazing after all these years I still learn new stuff on this site. I never knew they made straight Burley and Perique blends. Are the blends totally devoid of Virginia's?
Just went to SP website and searched C&D tinned tobaccos. Filtered it down to must contain burley and perique, also to exclude everything except burley and perique…….search returned zero blends.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I was thinking anything which is primarily burley and features noticeable perique. I had to check to see if there's VA in Haunted Bookshop. I would have said no, but there is.

Reactions: kurtbob

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I do 7oz of the burley, 4oz of the stoved and 1oz of the perique. It’s a pretty tasty all day smoke.
I'll have to try this myself. I don't have C&D Burley Ribbon Cut, but I just got their White Burley and smoked that straight for the first time last night. Very intriguing and strong smoke! I think it could use some balancing with some bright VAs, but it could be interesting to try your mix instead ... though it sounds rather strong. We'll see how it goes.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I'll have to try this myself. I don't have C&D Burley Ribbon Cut, but I just got their White Burley and smoked that straight for the first time last night. Very intriguing and strong smoke! I think it could use some balancing with some bright VAs, but it could be interesting to try your mix instead ... though it sounds rather strong. We'll see how it goes.
Yeah, I find all their burley to be pretty rough around the edges straight!

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I'm convinced that the great burley-Virginia divide is based on body chemistry. I smell cheese and feet in a jar of Haunted Bookshop, burley lovers smell fruitiness.
This might be the weird sweet spot with HB. I can't stand it before 6 months of age and after 9ish months of age. It's like the aggressiveness of the perique turns plummy for a bit there before going "bad" to my taste