PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I'm convinced that the great burley-Virginia divide is based on body chemistry. I smell cheese and feet in a jar of Haunted Bookshop, burley lovers smell fruitiness.
I'm inclined to agree. I lean toward the va's, but enjoy C&D Three Friars often. It seems to be a va/bur/perique that uses some burley condimentally. It tracks right down the middle for some of us who straddle the"divide". Not sweet like Stokkebye Cube Cut and not as nicotine laden as some of the heavier burley blends. A great smoke!

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I wish there were more Bur/Per blends out there. There's a decent number to be sure, but there can always be more! :D

As for good Bur/Per blends that aren't Haunted Bookshop or Old Joe Krantz? G.L. Pease's "Barbary Coast." It's got some virginia in it, but the burley and perique do the real lifting. A touch of brandy to set it off. It's a pretty unique blend and not for everyone, but I love it.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I don’t know. But I have a lot of straight burleys and some McClelland’s blending Perique. I should try my own BurPer blend Next time I feel like tinkering. I did not realize this was even a category but I do have C&D Burley #’s 1-5 in my stock Which are Bur/Pers according to Appalachian Piper & Akoni808. I have never tried any of them…but now it seems I must. You could easily blend your own. I’m not sure I’m at the point where I want to add Perique myself. Bur is my simplicity smoke.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I love Burley and do not like Haunted Bookshop. I think HB smells like dirty feet and tastes like an ashtray
HB is like kale 🥬. I’ve heard that if you sauté kale in coconut oil, it makes it easier to slide from your plate and into the trash.

Kidding aside. I used to get nothing much from Haunted Bookshop. Hot, non-descript air. But one day, I truly enjoyed it. Give any baccy some additional time. Tastes change.

Except for aromatics. Those are like kale 🥬

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
HB is like kale 🥬. I’ve heard that if you sauté kale in coconut oil, it makes it easier to slide from your plate and into the trash.

Kidding aside. I used to get nothing much from Haunted Bookshop. Hot, non-descript air. But one day, I truly enjoyed it. Give any baccy some additional time. Tastes change.

Except for aromatics. Those are like kale 🥬

I personally love kale. I've had a jar of HB for over 2 years and I'm about to dump it into the fire pit.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
Fresh HB reminds me of cigarettes, or at least the first and only time I tried it. It absolutely needs however much time in the jar it takes for the perique to turn from swamp to dark fruit. The combination of dark fruit and the bitter earth of the white burley come out to a rich dark raisin bread flavor for me. I looove it.

For anyone here who is a lover of HB - If you like Latakia, you really need to do yourself a favor and try Tuggle Hall, if you haven't already.

Reactions: kurtbob