PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's not a BBQ sauce but this Basque marinade is good as all hell with pretty much everything though as you'd expect it really does wonder for grilled lamb
basque-meat-tenderizer-barbecue-sauce-1.gif

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
But most of all, people's loyalty to their particular meat (or vegetable) and their regional/national way of doing it are so intense, you almost can't talk about it with people. It's right up there with religion and politics.
All of what you posted is true. Even though my home state (Louisiana) has plenty of cuisine that it’s known for, we don’t “own” any particular style of barbecue. That means I don’t have a dog in the fight and can eat all of it. ?
Barbecue here is usually just considered “Southern style,” which is heavily influenced by Memphis and East Texas. Typical meats are pork (pulled or ribs), brisket, or smoked sausage. You may also see half chickens or turkey.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a chain barbecue place near me that serves all kinds of barbecue ... none of it seems good to me, the ones I've tried. Chain restaurants often serve food cooked out of a loose-leaf notebook by people with little cooking experience and no interest in cooking, just folks who need a job. The food tastes like that. If the place has a barbecue pit out back and an old guy or gal running the pit, you know something good is on the menu. For some reason, the older the pit master, the better the food; their skill increases the further past retirement age they get. If you need some wisdom from the ages, ask them. I have a long tale about my late mother-in-law who used to pin down the barbecue chef about giving her "the good barbecue and not the bad barbecue." She was sure the good stuff was saved only for the anointed, and she wanted that.

• Haha

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As far as local sauces go I like Red State Memphis Sweet, and the yellow sauce from Marks Feedstore.

Among widely available sauces I’ve really enjoyed Stubbs lately.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
When I went to South Carolina a few ties earlier in the decade, I ate at this pace called Bessinger's that mostly did pork sandwiches and they had an excellent yellow bbq sauce. I don't now if that's considered truly top shelf BBQ by native Carolinians but the pace was plenty busy and more than good enough for my yankee ass! Here in CA we don't have any specific native BBQ, and the places we do have tend to be quite expensive, so it is always a treat to travel to good BBQ areas.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Lots of great BBQ ideas in here. Keep it coming. I've already got some ideas to try the methods mentioned here. Im on furlough next week. I think it may be time to fire up the smoker.

riverbill

Lurker
May 28, 2020
I just ate at Dinosaur in Syracuse for the first and unfortunately, probably the last, time last week. Enjoyed it and bought a couple of their sauces!

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
I watch my sugar intake so fir anyone working on a healthier lifestyle check out G Hughes sugar free. Surprisingly good.

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
Pat's Homemade BBQ Sauce. Saw the guy who makes it giving out samples in local grocery store in Florida,have been using it ever since.

Reactions: radrick96
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My sauce preference depends on mood.

Sweet Baby Rays and Bullseye have their place.

Golden mustard bbq or a spicy vinegar sauce tend to cut the fatness of pulled pork.

A mix of kc masterpiece and open pit creates a tangy sauce.

I would like to try Bob Gibson's white sauce, but have an egg allergy in the family.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Montgomery Inn. But really, the majority of the best sauces I've enjoyed were home made in great BBQ places.
I used to get store-bought stuff and add to it and now I've been at a point for a while where I create all my own rubs and sauces. I really enjoyed the process. A lot of my homemade barbecue sauces have some Bourbon in them which I really like. It's either that or a Carolina style vinegar sweet sauce

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy