PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Just finished up on the grill with some bbq chicken. Tonight I used a marinate based around one of my favorite bbq sauces, Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy, with some extra sauce on the side. For me, this one hits all the right notes on the grill. I used to be a Sweet Baby Day's devotee but found it a bit syrupy. What sauces do you enjoy on the grill?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 garlic head, peeled & crushed
3-6 TBSP chili paste (Sambal Oelek)

Bring all ingredients to a boil, then simmer until desired consistency; I like molasses thickness.
This keeps forever in the fridge.

NB - prepare in a well ventilated area or outside. The vapors can have a pepper spray effect.

Or, if I am out of sauce (usually from SWMBO eating it straight out of the jar) or too lazy...
1589758983581.jpeg

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Salt, pepper, and my charcoal Weber loaded with leftover oak and ash firewood from this past winter's fuel supply.

If I need to add moisture to the meat during grilling, I'll usually apply an apple cider and cider vinegar mixture via brush. Or, I'll dunk the meat (chicken or steaks) into a thinned butter-yogurt mixture akin to the tandoori chicken method.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just finished up on the grill with some bbq chicken. Tonight I used a marinate based around one of my favorite bbq sauces, Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy, with some extra sauce on the side. For me, this one hits all the right notes on the grill. I used to be a Sweet Baby Day's devotee but found it a bit syrupy. What sauces do you enjoy on the grill?
Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and Brown Sugar. Best I’ve found. ?

you want that bitch syrupy for a char. It should only be going on in the last minutes of cooking anyways.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
FWIW, barbecue sauce is easy. The three main components are some type of vinegar, some type of chili pepper, and some type of sugar. You can play around with spices, salt content, heat/type of chilis, type of sugar component, etc. The world’s your oyster. Just taste as you go, and when it’s right, it’s right.
Any time I kill some wild hogs, I clean them, split them, and brine them for about three days in several changes of salted ice water in a large cooler. I smoke them low and slow overnight, or if I don’t feel like getting up to tend a fire, I’ll smoke them using cold smoke for an hour or two, then finish them in a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven overnight. I check them to make sure they’re done and pull the meat off the bones (should pretty much fall off) and pull it. Add some dry rub to it, mix it, get out the buns and homemade sauce. Of course, some homemade coleslaw on the sandwich only makes it better. Pickles and onions are the traditional accoutrements. Baked beans are always a good accompaniment. Mustard potato salad is good, too.
Damn, I’m getting hungry.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Basically any time you involve brown sugar good things happen.
Hell yeah. Dark brown sugar, molasses, and ribbon cane syrup all do really well in barbecue sauce. A lot of people try to make honey work, and it will provide the sweetness, but the honey taste doesn’t stand up very well against the vinegar and spice. Gets lost in my opinion.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Usually A1... I used to make my own. These days I tend to marinate more often then not, and bourbon is the key ingredient. Ankcient Age..., inexpensive and decent quality.

Aug 1, 2012
I'd have said to get you some of the sauce from Tommy Leonard's outside of Memphis but sadly they closed. Last time I was there was a bit over 15 years ago and I still remember their barbeque sandwich.

Commercially, I really haven't found much I love so I just go with whatever looks good to me at the moment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, is that a loaded question. BBQ itself is a loaded noun. There are so many different foods that are barbecued, pork and beef being only the most often used. But more than that, the fire or heat source, methodology, and condiments used are so wildly different. But most of all, people's loyalty to their particular meat (or vegetable) and their regional/national way of doing it are so intense, you almost can't talk about it with people. It's right up there with religion and politics. Just because it is my most familiar barbecue, I like Eastern N.C. barbecue which is slow cooked pork, often over a wood fire in a half-steel barrel cooker or actual pit, and basted with vinegar and chili pepper flakes and secret ingredients that only the pit master knows. Okay ... pause here for everyone throwing trash and bottles at me because that isn't THEIR idea of barbecue. And a disclaimer that I also love Texas beef barbecue which is an entirely different animal, in fact. So don't curse and fume. Just add to the previous posts and give a loving description of the REAL barbecue as you know and love it.