PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I smoke about 90% non-aromatic.

I love Black Frigate and all of the Lakelands I've tried,so far.

I have accrued a good sized pile of aros in my cellar through forum trades and I pull one out occasionally.

Russ Ouellette's Match Hickory was awesome. I've never had the original and would not have bought this on my own, but I scored it in a "mystery box" purchase and couldn't keep my grubby mitts off of it until gone.

Sillem's Blue sounded disgusting, but it "worked", somehow. Lime, maple and caramel. Sounds like a hot mess, smoked very well.

I did actively seek out Rattray's Exotic Passion/Orange and I'm glad I did. 80% of the time it's remarkable and that 5th smoke is still OK.

OK, well maybe I smoke about 85% non-aros... puffy

1590438270139.jpeg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Mostly non aromatic smoker - but here are a few which I smoke / enjoy occasionally

Rattray’s Exotic Passion
Erinmore Flake
War Horse ? Bar
Gawith Hoggarth & Co Coniston Cut Plug
Gawith Hoggarth & Co #7 Broken Flake
If we’re including Erinmore Flake as an aromatic, then it would go to the top of my list.

Reactions: cshubhra

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
I’ve tried a lot of aromatics. I keep going back to grousemoor. It’s an unusual flavor of lemongrass.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
If we're going with flavor-forward, beyond some good ones already mentioned:

Wilkes Rumcake (all the rum in the universe condensed into your pipe)
Burley Morning Pipe (Coffe/Sweet cream)
Silems Copenhagen (Almond/Vanilla)

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I don't have one that I can't live without; I only smoke one when I do smoke an aromatic and that's Low Country Santee. Very lighly topped which is nice because the tobacco should still be the main focus of any blend in my opinion, and its the only one out there that has a nice apple flavor to it that actually tastes like apples.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just thought of another aromatic that is pretty good. John Aylesbury Dragon Flake. I only have a few tins and smoked it a few times and I have to say it had some flavor and not the goopey type.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My favorites so far are:

GH&C American Delight (this counts as one of my 2 "can't live without")
GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake
Sutliff Spiced Rum
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday

Have some others I waiting to try (or even be able to order in some cases):

Rattray's Exotic Passion
HU Makhuwa
GH&C Cherry Cream Flake
GH&C American Cherry & Vanilla
GH&C Top Black Cherry (Exclusive Black Cherry?)

I guess I'm looking for the second "can't live without" blend although I really enjoy and have cellared my favorites above.

Like rum soaked navy flakes, never really thought of that one as an aromatic.
I don't really think of it as an aromatic but at the same time I do. It has enough rum for me to put it on the fence I guess. Another blend I think of the same way is SPC Plum Pudding SR.

I guess part of the problem is not having a definitive definition of what an aromatic is. ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess part of the problem is not having a definitive defini
Originally it was oriental tobaccos and latakia.

I don't really think of it as an aromatic but at the same time I do. It has enough rum for me to put it on the fence I guess. Another blend I think of the same way is SPC Plum Pudding SR.
That would make Salty Dogs an aromatic too.

Reactions: shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That would make Salty Dogs an aromatic too.
I could think of Salty Dogs as an aromatic but only versus other VaPers. If a person wants a great VaPer with a little something extra that's the one I'd recommend.

I typically think of aromatics as having a very noticeable sweetness and/or fruitiness but even this is subjective since what may or may not be noticeable to me might be different for someone else.

CarbonCake

Lurker
May 11, 2020
Kansas
My current favorite is East India Trading Co. Cellar Reserve.

There is a bit of perique in the blend, which keeps the entire bowl interesting to smoke. With a lot of aromatics, i end up wanting to dump the bowl after the first half, as they become one dimensional after the topping evaporates. Not so, with this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.