1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Reminds me of a story where a good Ole boy walks up to his friend at a bar, who is drinking some sort of electric blue drink. The GOB starts giving his friend some guff over the drink of choice. The friend responds, "someone bought it for me and it just so happens to be delicious. So enjoy your Bud Light while I enjoy my lovely, blue drink - you basic bitch."
Yup, a common story for sure. I've lived long enough to watch how people gravitate into the crowd they think is the "better or right thinking" group when it comes to cigars, golf, sports, bars, and here, pipe tobacco.

I smoke cigars. Green and cheap are just fine with me. I play golf - but never keep score. I rooted for the Cubs, but mostly because I liked going to Chicago to eat pizza and just hang around at the sites. Bars, on Tuesdays you can sometimes find me at Hair of the Dog, but only because it serves martinis at 7 AM and the retirees get a kick out of going there while everyone else is working. I find that what most people think is "better" is generally a result of marketing.

Have fun, laugh, play, and enjoy the world. Comfort food is comforting for a reason.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Very difficult since I like so many different aromatics.
But I'd probably have to say that in general, cherry has a slight edge over the others.
Honorable mentions would be C&D Apricots & Cream and Country Squire Blue Ribbon

Reactions: WVOldFart

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Speaking of rum, the "Sunset Rum" blended by Milan Tobacconist of Roanoke, VA (NOT the "Sunset Rum" put out by Sutliff, which is massively inferior) is in the top few aromatics I've ever smoked. Good Golly is it perfect.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
My favorite is whatever is on Old Toby! I think they called the blend reminiscent of "spice cake", so I imagine it's a heavy sugar casing. Smells just like a good sugar cookie to me, and it has a bit of spice to it (maybe from the Perique, at least in part). It's easily my most smoked aro.

I also appreciate vanilla, but more so when someone else smokes it

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Anything along the lines of vanilla, chocolate, irish cream, liqueurs, etc. Not a big fan of cherry (or especially peach) fruity flavored stuff. They always seem disappointing to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever the flavoring is, I want it to complement and bring up nuance in the tobacco or blend itself, what I've heard called tobacco forward. If I want the flavor itself, I'll just drink or eat the appropriate beverage or food. It's like pairing wine with food, to harmonize and add extra dimensions to the flavors of the food, not mask or bury them.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
My first reaction was “vanilla, obviously.” But my favorite Virginias have a touch of rum: McClelland Navy Cavendish, F&T Special Brown Flake, and GLP Windjammer. But I don’t consider those to be “aromatics.”

So, vanilla then. But where would burley be without cocoa and molasses?