PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, we all know this one. I don't know if this has been done here before (I assume it has), but to take a page out of Brian Levine's book, no right answer, no wrong answer, just the first thing that comes to your mind. With all the new members, I thought this would be fun. I'll go first.
1.What is your favorite pipe? Sasieni Eight Dot Barclay.
2. What is your favorite tobacco? Fribourg & Treyer Cut Blended Plug.
3. What is your favorite drink? Summer = Tom Collins made with New Amsterdam Gin.
Winter = Courvoisier Cognac
4. When it's time to relax do you prefer a book, a movie, or music? Book (Historical Fiction or British Mysteries)
5. Favorite pipe smoking memory? My father smoked his pipes sitting in his leather recliner in our living room. When I was six, he was smoking a pipe and I kept bugging him about wanting to try it. He finally gave in saying "Fine. Here!". Well, being six years old, I only had experience with bubble pipes (I know, some of you are not fortunate enough to know what those were). So I took his lit pipe, full of tobacco, and BLEW into the stem! Hot ash went flying onto the floor, his recliner, and his lap. Mom was pissed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fav pipe: One favorite is a Ser Jacopo I got on a tremendous sale at SP with a windfall on a long project I did.

Fav tobacco: Many, but let me say Tabac-Manil Semois

Fav drink: Many, but for pure thirst quenching, ice water.

Book/music/movie": A book is most clarifying and renewing -- lit, history, novel, natural history.

Smoking memory: Nightcap on the front porch during a stressful time, strong nic hit but then to bed.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
1. What is your favorite pipe?
- Right now, a rusticated Eltang Basic.

2. What is your favorite tobacco?
- SG FVF and Capstan Blue.

3. What is your favorite drink?
- Winter: porter and stout. Summer: dry cider.

4. When it's time to relax do you prefer a book, a movie, or music?
- Book.

5. Favorite pipe smoking memory?
- It's either the visit to Bo Nordh or the first visits to the danish pipe shops on Strøget, at the time there was several pipe shops with extensive assortments. This was in the mid 90-ies.

Last edited:

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
1.) Comoy’s prince that smokes just ok, but that I bought while pretty drunk in Deadwood, SD by following the smell of cigar smoke around town like a bloodhound. The cigar shop also had a live blues band playing and served beer.

2.) Old Gowrie.

3.) Alcohol-Bourbon Old Fashioned. Hot Tea. Dr. Pepper.

4.) Books-generally non-fiction, something I can learn from. But also music, since I play several instruments

5.) Being a kid and stealing Carter Hall from my friend’s dad and smoking it (in a “borrowed” cob) out on the roof of his house while the whole family played old-time fiddle music downstairs. You could feel the house shaking from the music and 40 people dancing and beer bottles were rattling off the table and everyone was having one hell of a time. He knew what we were up to up there, everyone did. They just let us be.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
1, Favorite Pipe = 1922 Loewe Billiard

2. Favorite Tobacco = Klondike Gold

3. Favorite Drink = Bourbon (Old Fashioned)

4. Relaxing (Book or Movie) = Book - Nonfiction US History; Movies - 30’s - 50’s; TV - British Crime Dramas

5. Favorite Pipe Memory = Well, it’s more memories - My late father really encouraged my pipe smoking and I smoke my pipes while driving to fire scenes with him. The chats, the bullshitting, the tutoring and the frustrations were all extremely valuable and make me the expert I am today. Miss you Smokey.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
1. Steve Weiner Rusticated. First year anniversary present from my wife.

2. MacBaren Mixture Scottish.

3. Whisky- Talisker Scotch

4. Book-History mostly military, with music being a very close second

5. Anytime I get to share a pipe with my dad who is 77 years young and has been pipe smoking since he was 16

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Pipe - Rattray's dark ale 105

Leaf - Haunted bookshop

Drink - Ale / water

Book - anything that involves an epic adventure
Music- Chris Stapleton these days, but I'm not picky
Movie- same as book preference

Smoking- anytime I get to unwind on the front porch with good tunes or flat out peace and quiet.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Pipe - birth year Dunhill shell.
Tobacco - G&H Grasmere Flake.
Drink - Earl Grey tea.
Relaxation - book / records, usually complimentary with all the above. It’s pretty common to find me relaxing with a pipe of my favorite tobacco curled up in my favorite reading chair with a good book and a mug of tea listening to a record.
Memory - being a very young child visiting my great grandfather’s house and smelling his pipe tobacco and hearing his kind laughter and resolving in my child’s determined way that I would smoke a pipe when I grew up and nobody would ever be able to stop me because then I’d be just like him.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
- Right now, my DragonBriar Dublin

- Solani ABF at the moment

- Any of a number of Irish Whiskies

- Book

- Visiting Iwan Ries and being amazed at their store/showroom/lounge.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
My Bruce Weaver sandblasted lovat

SG FVP

Craigellachie 13 Year Old single malt whisky

A movie. My Netflix account tells me I watch a lot of dystopian future type movies. My favourite movie is Blade Running 2049.

Smoking a bowl of Irish Oak while looking out over the surroundings from the top of Wave Rock in Western Australia during the Wave Rock Festival.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1.What is your favorite pipe?
Missouri Meerschaum General

2. What is your favorite tobacco? Mephisto

3. What is your favorite drink? Winter? No particular favorites

I work 84 hours/week. Time to relax means sleep.

Can't really assign an answer to that one, I just smoke them. No more significant than memories smoking a cigarette.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1.What is your favorite pipe? Brebbia Avanti that I bought for $2
2. What is your favorite tobacco? Whatever I'm smoking at that moment
3. What is your favorite drink? Water
4. When it's time to relax do you prefer a book, a movie, or music? Varies. Book (History, Science Fiction or British Mysteries) TV Shows - Doc Martin, The Good Wife, The Queen's Gambit, Connected - British Detective procedurals, Mysteries, Comedy. Music - Primarily Classical from late Renaissance thru early 20th Century, Sondheim, ragtime, big band, some jazz forms, Vampire Weekend, and other odds and ends.
5. Favorite pipe smoking memory? Too personal, but let's leave it as smoking after stroking. This does not refer to any sort of onanism.

Last edited:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Oh, the muttnchop piper interview game, I wanna play !

1.What is your favorite pipe? I enjoy most in my collection, but if I were to choose one I guess it would be my Stanwell Zebrano.
2. What is your favorite tobacco? Dunhill's Royal Yacht
3. What is your favorite drink? Summer = any good German/Austrian/Czech pills will do. In the winter I will probably opt for a good brandy, fruit may vary as per my mood.
4. When it's time to relax do you prefer a book, a movie, or music? Movie ... I do enjoy reading, and I do liste to music every single time I turn on the laptop to do work, but I am cinefil by a long shot.
5. Favorite pipe smoking memory? It must be my experience when I picked up the pipe for the first time. I was at Pipe World, a brick and mortar in Austin, TX. I used to hang out there quite a bit, since they had a fairly large and comfortable smoking lounge, and in the Texas heat it was really nice to sit in a leather arm chair in an AC cooled room to be able to smoke. Also back then it was the first time I picked up a Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and since I was hanging out by myself a lot I did a fair amount of reading. One day I was hanging out with a former Highschool mate of mine, Peter Murray, and in jest I told him "I went through half of Doyle's work in this room, and funny enough I did it while smoking cigars. Perhaps I should get a pipe". He said to me "Go for it". I flipped a coin as money was tight and I preferred buying 5 more cigars than a pipe and tobacco, but shoot it was heads and a basket pipe it was. I really remember the tobacconist taking the time to explain to me the ins and outs of pipe smoking, he even gave me a brochure ... yeah, good times, not to mention that day I started one of my most enjoyable hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.