PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Somewhere around 2004 I discovered Murdock's Pipe by McCranie. This is a blend that never got a whole lot of notice - it only has 15 reviews at Tobacco Reviews - but it just sat perfectly with me. It smoked especially well in an old Stanwell brandy with a 3/4 bend and a saddle-stem, and I dedicated that pipe to that blend. Never have the two given me an unpleasant experience.
A few years back I went to order some more, and discovered, to my great dismay, that it was not on their website. An email confirmed that it was, indeed, discontinued. I had one tin left, and I decided to save it and open it on a special occasion.
I decided that, when I hit one of those milestone birthdays last year, that the time was right to open it. I've savored the bowls of it, over the last 17 months, and decided that Thanksgiving this year would be a good time to finish it off. It turned out to be even more auspicious then I imagined, for last week my eldest, pregnant with her third and first daughter, developed preeclampsia, and had a C section last Thursday, a good 2 months early. She is home and doing well, and my little granddaughter, while still in the hospital, is thriving.
So tonight I bid a fond farewell to this old comrade - I am smoking that final bowl as I type. If there was one tobacco I wish I had more of , this is it. It's not a really complex smoke - just a perfect, to my taste-buds, blend of Virginias, latakia, and orientals. It certainly is my favorite, of all the latakia blends I have smoked.
Farewell, old chum, and thanks for all the lovely hours!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Somewhere around 2004 I discovered Murdock's Pipe by McCranie. This is a blend that never got a whole lot of notice - it only has 15 reviews at Tobacco Reviews - but it just sat perfectly with me. It smoked especially well in an old Stanwell brandy with a 3/4 bend and a saddle-stem, and I dedicated that pipe to that blend. Never have the two given me an unpleasant experience.
A few years back I went to order some more, and discovered, to my great dismay, that it was not on their website. An email confirmed that it was, indeed, discontinued. I had one tin left, and I decided to save it and open it on a special occasion.
I decided that, when I hit one of those milestone birthdays last year, that the time was right to open it. I've savored the bowls of it, over the last 17 months, and decided that Thanksgiving this year would be a good time to finish it off. It turned out to be even more auspicious then I imagined, for last week my eldest, pregnant with her third and first daughter, developed preeclampsia, and had a C section last Thursday, a good 2 months early. She is home and doing well, and my little granddaughter, while still in the hospital, is thriving.
So tonight I bid a fond farewell to this old comrade - I am smoking that final bowl as I type. If there was one tobacco I wish I had more of , this is it. It's not a really complex smoke - just a perfect, to my taste-buds, blend of Virginias, latakia, and orientals. It certainly is my favorite, of all the latakia blends I have smoked.
My prayer is for your granddaughter.
Hopefully, that lovely final smoke remains fond in your memories.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island

Don’t say goodbye just yet. PM inbound.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Great review/Story................. I have never had that blend,
Jud, (I mean this in a good way!) you are just one step below Warren in the curmudgeon section........
Always enjoy your posts.................. puffy
Thanks!

And a note for you all - the baby is doing fine - eating well, and growing. My daughter of course goes as often as she can. My son-in-law would like to go more often, too, but has limited leave and is trying to juggle it.

Last edited:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Glad your daughter and granddaughter are doing well!

I noticed the reviewers at tobacco reviews mention several other blends that are similar, several of which are Rattray's, which are still made, just hard to find. Might be fun to try:
Tobacco Reviews | McCranie's - Murdock's Pipe
I skimmed through those. I snorted when I saw the comparison to Old Dublin, which is a long time, beloved smoke, and nothing like Murdock's, for me,.
I did notice the link that was posted to McCranie's, and succumbed to the tune of three tins. Ted has sent me one. I won't run out for a while, with judicious smoking.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Farewell, old chum, and thanks for all the lovely hours

say goodbye just yet. PM inbound.
yoda-there-is.gif

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
These forums are wonderful. Best wishes for the family Jud and many blessings for the season. Everyone has that one blend they milk until it’s gone. Mine is still my 3/4 pound left of McCranies 5100 that I’ll pull a bowl from every so often. Not complex at all, just good stuff. ?☕

Reactions: judcole