PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
F099AFE8-8087-48DB-842F-50EFD7591BA2.jpeg

Okay certain perspectives say nothing. Take a look at a pipe catalog from the beginning of 20th Century. There is a cob for 0,06 $ the most expensive pipes are about 1,20 $ and there are a lot in between.

Let’s take the Bulldog for 0,19 $. And let’s move to this website: $0.19 in 1900 → 2022 | Inflation Calculator - https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1900?amount=0.19

Result: $0.19 in 1900 is worth $6.71 today

Now let’s take a look at wages of workers!and keep in mind, that inflation is one thing and the amount of things you could buy for the money has been decreased up to the double.

Okay wages: Library Guides: Prices and Wages by Decade: 1900s - https://libraryguides.missouri.edu/pricesandwages/1900s

Or more exactly: Census of manufactures: 1905. - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nnc1.cu56779232&view=1up&seq=14

weekly income average 30 Dollars

And again swap to inflation rate, today that would hav been 1000$.

But only from the perspective of the pipe sellers, who sold from 0,06 $ to 1,20 $ for a pipe at the high end, it sounds to me that pipe smoking was made affordable to anyone.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I’ve been an old man for at least 20 yrs haha. And been smoking a pipe about 25. I’m not sure age means much once you’re an adult. I think pipe smoking was advertised using the grandfather, scholar, refinement and tradition sort of ideas awhile back. Maybe it stuck.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
From what I understand tobacco was discovered in America by the native people that held it as a sacred process of smoking. Not concerned with age. It kind of funny how many pipe smokers have ritual in the smoking of their pipes.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I don't believe that is/was true in the US.
There was a story that Jerry Stiller was telling about his parents during the depression. Basically he came home smoking a cigar and his wife/Jerry's mother came unhinged about it. She screamed at him something to the effect of "Do you think you're a Rockerfeller?" and then grab the cigar and broke it in half. Jerry's dad smoked a pipe from that day on.

I don't know if being a cigar smoker means your well to do, but I know that being a pipe smoker means you are frugal. A $15 tin of tobacco can last a lot longer than a single cigar or 3 packs of cigarettes, all costing the same.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I know that being a pipe smoker means you are frugal.
Another unsupportable generality.:rolleyes:

Frugal? Hah! A spent a life-time working, saving, investing, and spending. I'm hardly what one would call frugal. My cigarettes, cigars and pipe blends are a lot more than you show. My cigarettes are nearly $15.00 per pack. Cigars run the gamut. My tobacco? Depends on the blend. I spend wisely ... mostly but, I'm hardly frugal.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Another unsupportable generality.:rolleyes:

Frugal? Hah! A spent a life-time working, saving, investing, and spending. I'm hardly what one would call frugal. My cigarettes, cigars and pipe blends are a lot more than you show. My cigarettes are nearly $15.00 per pack. Cigars run the gamut. My tobacco? Depends on the blend. I spend wisely ... mostly but, I'm hardly frugal.
Now, now Warren. It doesn't have to be true to tell our wives that's why we are doing it!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Just tell them to deal with it because you have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to them in a way they can understand.