PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
When I was growing up Falcons were what a working man would smoke. They can take a great deal of abuse. I can remember when one could get a Falcon for next to nothing. Now, by the time you buy the stem and a bowl, the cost is a bit high for what you get. I do have 2 Falcons and I love them both, but I most likely will not be getting any more just due to the price.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Big yes for Falcon.
Plus :

1. Smoke cool and somehow able to gave consistent flavourful tastes than several of my Stans and Pete's.

2. Alumunium stem = carry around without fear of break/fracture.

3. Exchangeable bowls = dedicated each bowl for your selection of aro's, burleys, VA, Lats and Orientals

4. Durability = I use my falcon for 3-4 smoke/day (A senior pipe smoker I know smoked his falcon around 15-20 bowl/day) After each smoke, let the bowl cool for about 10-15 minutes, then clean the bowl with paper napkins (Wet the napkins with a bit alchohol will be perfect, run down a pipe cleaner as well)
Negs :

1. New falcon took a few dozen smoke to break-in properly

2. Need proper constant cleaning

3. Need careful packing technique (very light packing - almost no need to tamp)
Suggestion : try to visit your local flea/antique market for old-estate falcon. I think them old falcon use better/mature birar back then. I found mine at an estate market and sure enough it smokes well from the very beginning.

And sure enough the price should be cheaper !

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I've loved the look of Falcons ever since I was a boy, when a lot of folk (including younger smokers - I remember many of my 'youngish' teachers had them as they went to lessons - back in the late sixties and early seventies) smoked them. I currently have four stems and six bowls. Yes, they are a bit functional and mechanical in appearance, but they deliver a good, dry, clean smoke and they are pretty bomb proof in terms of sturdiness and durability. I often smoke one simply because it reminds me of those boyhood days but also because it is a straightforward, no-nonsense pipe, that I agree has little aesthetic appeal but delivers on the smoking. In short, I love them as much as any of my briars.

Steve

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have a bent black stem with white mouthpiece and a meerschaum bowl that has a sort of techno flash visual appeal simply oozing from it. It's radically non-nostalgic but it seriously catches the eye. As a smoker it's aces as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.