PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I almost pulled the trigger on one that was lightly used and in the original box this week, but I can't get past how I think they are so damn ugly. 8O

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I bought a hunter stem and a couple of bowls a few months back as a fishing pipe. To say I was impressed is an understatement
Cons
They're ugly and I mean real ugly, the matt black hunter stems help the looks but they're still ugly,

they're the nastiest pipe in the whole wide world to break in,

I need to carry special pipe cleaners and a pocket of tissue just to clean the pipe

and they do feel a little cheap.
Pros
They smoke incredibly well and smoke drier than a regular briar pipe,

Cheap - at least in the UK,

very light and easy to clench,

a single stem and a handful of bowls is more portable than a handful of pipes and cheaper,

buying bowls is cheaper than buying pipes,

stems don't ghost,

metal stem makes them a tough little pipe

and they smoke incredibly well and smoke drier than a regular briar pipe!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
The bent Falcon I had started leaking where the aluminium tube met the bowl base after running a pipe cleaner through it once, it was about 4 years old but sort of heavily used, my cousin didn't believe in resting pipes. Also I hate the fact they gather so much liquid nicotine and crap in the base of the bowl and the inserts are crap also. I am very reluctant to buy another, I will settle for briars.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The biggest problem I have with mine is clenching. There is not much there to grab onto and they are very light. I keep flipping the pipe up and flinging ash in my face. Other than that I sort of enjoy them.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Had Falcons for 20 odd years, nice smoke. Good clenchers, tough mouthieces. Change the bowl it's like a fresh pipe.
Always wipe the bowl after a pipefull in home and I always use a dry ring if I'm out (soaks the gunge for you and saves you carrying tissues about).
I don't think they are ugly, in a way they look a modern design, prefer the silver stem myself.
Agree with drennan's pros above,

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
For what falcons cost I'm glad I have mine.
Really easy to clean, gives a nice cool smoke though it's unlikely to be your favourite pipe they are decent.

I agree with the above comments wipe it clean after use, doesn't seem to need much rest. Where the moisture gathers is obviously metal can't knock it really.
You can smoke with or without the dry ring however I find the draw a little bit too open without it and it does keep things nice and dry.
I use mine for Aeros now and just swap bowls around.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The looks have grown on me only because the pipe smokes so great! Do a search as they have been discussed with a few threads beaing a wealth of information. Take into account all of the opinions here with these additions.
Pro - You can dedicate bowls to certain tobaccos or even a dedicated blend without breaking the bank.

Pro - Super easy to clean. I usually clean mine after 3 or 4 smokes. A little everclear on a paper towel and the humidor is clean. A pipe cleaner dabbed in everclear and a few more dry ones and the pipe is done. Its ready for a different blend, with a bowl swap if you have enough.

Con - Breaking in the bowls really sucks! They have such a horrible taste. Once done, look out.

Con - I'm a clencher so I'm really chewing the bit. I sent out some inquiries to see if any of the pipe pros would like to take a chance on cutting a bit. So far nothing positive.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'll admit that the Falcon esthetics turned me off and I postponed buying one until I ran into a deal at brickstore in Annapolis, Md.
The pros have been covered: smokes well, smokes dry, easy to clean, relatively economical and portable. Might I add unique?
To me the cons are that the bowls are smaller than I like. The biggest bowls, are at best, mid-sized.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
LEACHA: Try finding used Viking pipes. The stem is removable and can be replaced. They are not made any longer but are available.

Happy puffing.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I like Falcons. I have several. They are lighter even than my Kirstens and even easier to clean.
The one con is that pesky stem, which is unreplaceable. IF you buy one, make sure you get a rubber nubby thing for it. Once protected by that, a Falcon stem will last forever!

owen

May 28, 2014
Tuold

I feel your pain there sir as I have the same problem

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 3 stems and 6 bowls. 2 of the bowls are MeerQueen Meers and I love Them! Am a big fan of Falcons in general...

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I picked up an estate Falcon when I ordered a meerschaum bowl from Meerqueen. I really like it! I use the dry rings. I have no problem using a yellow labeled JB Long pipe cleaner on this pipe. I recommend it.
Mike S.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have five stems and thirty bowls. It took me many years to try one out even though they always sold quickly at my local B&M. Finally picked up an estate and it was all downhill from there. Smoked nothing Falcons for a few years and amassed a collection. Don't smoke them nearly as often as I used to but they still get used.
An excellent book on Falcon's is called Back from the Ashes by K.A. Worth. She is the granddaughter of George Hunt, the fella who made Falcon into an international seller. Its a nicely detailed history of the brand and company. You can get the Kindle edition for a few bucks at Amazon.
For the money, they are definitely worth it.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
To sum it up Falcon pipes are great. You can have 1 pipe, change the bowl and its essentially another pipe, whether briar or meerschaum, filtered or not. Which means it takes up less space and cost effective. Ofcourse none of that would matter, to me at least, if they weren't terrific smokers as well. They have a humidome that collects moisture, bits of tobacco and ash. Falcons are lightweight and the bit is comfortable. Theres a lot of options for the bowls and the pipes come in a few different styles and colors. I recommend them for sure.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The problem with Viking pipes is they are no longer made. With Falcon I can buy a new stem and add new bowls from most online vendors. The Vikings require hunting.
About the bit. They are removable. You need to heat the pipe in a 175°F to 200°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove pipe, with protection of your choice, and pull straight out. The bit will come off easily. The downside is if the tube had a smaller tolerance than the frame, when pressed fitted, it may come out also. Again with some causual inquiries no shop has been convincing enough for me to send a stem out. The closest has been Briarville Pipe Repair, which I am still waiting on feedback.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I may have missed it, but one of the real pluses is the ability to carry four or five preloaded bowls when going out for a bit. Beats carrying a bunch of pipes in the jacket pocket. I cover each with a wind shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.