PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I've always been like "Falcon pipes? Oh no, thank you ever so much, but not for me." I am not going to go into much detail here, but sometimes you really need to try something before judging.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I heard somewhere that they require a pipe cleaner that is thinner than usual.
Falcon does make thin pipe cleaners and I have used them, but they are so thin that they don't really clean the tube all that good. I use standard pipe cleaners for my Falcons and they work much better.

These are available at 4noggins. I ordered a couple packs to use on a couple of my pipes with restricted draw and they work quite nicely on p-lip stems too.
bonehed I really like that Hunter nose warmer. What did you do to modify it? :puffy:

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Coping saw to the outer rails. Pull draught tube from humidome and trim to size, I think I put a bamboo skewer in the tube while clipping to retain shape. The draught tube aluminium is quite thin and malleable. Trim outer rails. Reattach tube to humidome by inserting then flanging the edge of the tube outward gently. Epoxy outer rails together, I used Hysol™.

It's not as sturdy as an unaltered stem, but it's held up well so far... balance is nicer too.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I have six Falcon stems now, straight, curved and bent, with around eight bowls to choose from. A Falcon was one of the first pipes I bought as a young pipe smoker, simply because, back in my youth they were so popular amongst pipe smokers in general. That means I've been smoking a Falcon getting on for forty years now, on and off. I love the simple, straightforward design. It is sturdy, robust, lightweight and simple to clean. Smokes like a dream every time and I now smoke one on most days of the week. I too use standard cleaners; they grip the goo much better. In addition, I use a pipe spray (Pip Spray by Savinelli) to clean, sweeten and sanitise the stem and metal bowl. I've recently bought a meer-lined bowl as well. Not a great fan of the International pipe, but that's only personal taste. For me, the quintessential aluminium stem is the one for me, unadorned by colour. Hunter bowls are a better quality and I have four of those now. I can thoroughly recommend a Falcon to anyone. I love smoking them and always will.

I have a Bent Hunter Black with a white bit and a Rainbow Green Apple Genoa Bowl.
I have the third one from the right.
1h9M8qM.jpg

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
+1 for Weezell, I'm a Falcon and Carey man.
+1 for geo3rge, same set up as my Falcons.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Like many others, I was disparaging about Falcons until I tried one. I smoke outdoors a lot but live and work by the Thames, where it rains frequently. Tired of polishing oxidised ebonite stems, I bought a black Hunter and a couple of bowls as a 'wet weather' pipe and I've never looked back. Light, consistently dry, easy to use and smart my Falcon is a fantastic little pipe for wandering in the English drizzle. I heartily recommend them.
Andy

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Does anybody know where to get the meerschaum bowls from? I have been looking around, but I haven't been able to find anything under $50.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That video was a very good explanation about Falcon pipes.
I've renewed a number of estate Falcons, most from Ebay or my local shop. If you are looking at an Ebay Falcon, some things to evaluate before making the purchase:
- Almost any issue on the briar bowl can be resolved by sanding it smooth and restaining it. Falcon bowls have what appears to be a sprayed on stain so any decent restain and buff/wax will almost always look better than the factory finish

- Smooth bowls always have fills. I usually pick out the fill and replace with some briar dust/superglue.

- I have never tried to repair a bowl with damaged threads.

- Stems: The aluminum bowl/stem is easy to polish with White Diamond to a chrome like finish. But, I suspect they oxidize quickly.

- Draft tube - damaged draft tubes (the small diameter fluted tube) cannot be replaced. If the tube is crimped or has a hole, that renders the pipe useless. Avoid those!

- Bits: The plastic bits do not respond like vulcanite to sanding/polishing. Teeth chatter can be minimized with some high grade sandpaper. Teeth indentions cannot be repaired. If the bit is crushed, that is almost a hopeless cause. I usually buff them to a finish with Meguiars Plastic Polish vs. White Diamond. (any auto plastic polish should work) The bits are almost always impossible to remove. Most of the time, trying to remove the bit also damages the metal draft tube. Rarely, one will slide off. I have twisted several metal draft tubes before learning this lesson.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Below is a smooth one I found and restored. Someone here picked it up.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/falcon-restored-reborn-pipes-1

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Smooth bowls always have fills. I usually pick out the fill and replace with some briar dust/superglue.
The one I've got so far hasn't got any, and I have inspected it thoroughly. I might have been lucky though. :)

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Okay, I'm finally convinced about Falcon pipes! Any advice on purchasing? Are the US made better/worse than the UK?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I loath Falcon Pipes! They conjure up all sorts of visions of people from 'Up North' on holiday in Blackpool wearing socks and sandals and wearing blue nylon flat caps and anoraks. Those ghastly type of human that you encounter staying at seaside boarding houses with their obese and jolly wife named 'Heather' or something who used to work in a textile mill. The off spring are usually encountered drunk at some low grade Spanish holiday resort that does 'All You Can Drink' holiday packages for a few hundred quid. It is the only pipe marketed in the UK capable of filling me with scenes of mental abject horror.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I loath Falcon Pipes! They conjure up all sorts of visions of people from 'Up North' on holiday in Blackpool wearing socks and sandals and wearing blue nylon flat caps and anoraks. Those ghastly type of human that you encounter staying at seaside boarding houses with their obese and jolly wife named 'Heather' or something who used to work in a textile mill. The off spring are usually encountered drunk at some low grade Spanish holiday resort that does 'All You Can Drink' holiday packages for a few hundred quid. It is the only pipe marketed in the UK capable of filling me with scenes of mental abject horror.
So I take it that you don't like Falcons. :rofl:

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I bought a Falcon coolway straight billiard a few months ago when I wanted to start smoking a pipe and didn't want to spend a lot. For the price it is ideal! £22 and a nice smooth smoke, no frills pipe.
As has been said before Ideal for camping/fishing trips as well as newbies finding their way!
falcon_coolway_6mm_filtered_briar_smoking_pipe_12-600x595.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.