PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrhopk1ns

Lurker
Apr 14, 2020
I live in the US and a friend of mine bought some cigars from cigar one.com I have also thought they have had a good reputation and sold legit products. I am now not sure. I’ll include some pictures. Notice the placement of the republica de Cuba label and how it’s covering the letter C. Also the head on the wax paper is not lined up. All of the micro numbers were scratched off. I dissected one of the cigars and as far as I can tell it looks good but I would like some feedback if there are any red flags.
Has anyone had trouble with cigarone? The price that was paid for these cigars was not a fake price. I also believe that the cigars did have a triple cap. What do you think? AFEEB27C-5D38-478A-8D3E-EC560A497FC6.jpeg

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
No idea, but everything I've ever heard tells me that unless your buying directly from an authorized Habanos retailer your probably getting fakes.

Dr. Joe, a youtube cigar guy who was a cuban fanatic, used to swear by these guys: Home - https://www.finestcubancigars.com/ but I have no experience with them. The only place I might trust is Estervals, but I'm not sure that they even ship Cubans to the U.S. I've never tried, though I'm sure someone here has.

Not sure if this will help you authenticate them but... Authenticity Check | Habanos s.a - Sitio Oficial - http://www.habanos.com/en/verificacion-de-autenticidad/

Edit: Looking at the verification page and comparing it to the way the warranty seal is placed on that box, it looks like you may have fakes.:confused:

Mrhopk1ns

Lurker
Apr 14, 2020
No idea, but everything I've ever heard tells me that unless your buying directly from an authorized Habanos retailer your probably getting fakes.

Dr. Joe, a youtube cigar guy who was a cuban fanatic, used to swear by these guys: Home - https://www.finestcubancigars.com/ but I have no experience with them. The only place I might trust is Estervals, but I'm not sure that they even ship Cubans to the U.S. I've never tried, though I'm sure someone here has.

Not sure if this will help you authenticate them but... Authenticity Check | Habanos s.a - Sitio Oficial - http://www.habanos.com/en/verificacion-de-autenticidad/

Thanks for the info! My friend has used cigarone for years and years and has never had a problem before.
After further investigation I think it’s normal for the republica de Cuba label to cover the C (still not 100% sure). I know it should be folded half way across the shield but it’s possible the person who put that label on was just sloppy.
The customer service with cigar one is awesome and they reply super quick. They brought up a good point to me and said they wouldn’t be in business if they sold fakes for so many years.
I have just lit up one of the cigars and it tastes good so far. That’s what really counts.

also I had trouble with the official Habanos website inputting the micro numbers. That site doesn’t work all the time.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

Edit: Looking at the verification page and comparing it to the way the warranty seal is placed on that box, it looks like you may have fakes.:confused:

^^^^This, however labels are constantly having to be changed to help combat counterfeiting so it's not impossible that the label is merely a previous generation.

Have you asked cigarone?

Reactions: Mrhopk1ns

Mrhopk1ns

Lurker
Apr 14, 2020
^^^^This, however labels are constantly having to be changed to help combat counterfeiting so it's not impossible that the label is merely a previous generation.

Have you asked cigarone?

I have asked them and they were very helpful. The main thing they said is that they would not be in business for years and years if they were selling fakes and I do believe there is some truth to that. I just finished one of the cigars from that box and it tasted good so I’m happy about that. I haven’t had a chance to put the micro number bar code in the official website verification because the website has issues but I’ll keep trying. I am very happy how cigar one has handled things.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks reasonably good to me. Triple cap easy to fake. What color is the ash? Taste it, Cohibas have such a distinct flavor it should be easy to determine fake or real. Most fakes I've seen have short filler and obviously do not taste anything like the real thing. Ash should be white. Should have been rolled firm if not tight. When smoked, ash should be firm and easily grow to 1" without crumbling.

Reactions: briarbuck

Mrhopk1ns

Lurker
Apr 14, 2020
Looks reasonably good to me. Triple cap easy to fake. What color is the ash? Taste it, Cohibas have such a distinct flavor it should be easy to determine fake or real. Most fakes I've seen have short filler and obviously do not taste anything like the real thing. Ash should be white. Should have been rolled firm if not tight. When smoked, ash should be firm and easily grow to 1" without crumbling.

Thanks for that. Ash was more gray than white but but white ish. Tasted amazing. Ash held together. Cigars were tight but still had a good draw. I was very pleased with the smoke and I’ve had Cohiba cigars where I know 100% they were real and this cigar was up there with those past smokes. Thanks for the reply

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for that. Ash was more gray than white but but white ish. Tasted amazing. Ash held together. Cigars were tight but still had a good draw. I was very pleased with the smoke and I’ve had Cohiba cigars where I know 100% they were real and this cigar was up there with those past smokes. Thanks for the reply

Making the labels and box are easy compared to finding a roller who can make a good cigar. Loose roll is a dead giveaway. Many tight rolls in fakes won't draw. Not to say this is always true. Some of the counterfeits are quite good. Some come from factory rollers working at home after hours making extra money. Some fakes even taste reasonably good. Based upon what you posted, I'd say chances are good they're real.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So the title of the thread ought to be “Genuine Cigar from cigarone.com”? Seems like quite an accusative title and first post to leave up with such speculation in it.

I know I wouldn’t enjoy it if someone made a thread calling me a cheat and then halfway through the thread just said, “never mind, just speculation” and left it all up. Search engines are a harsh mistress.

Reactions: Mrhopk1ns and BROBS

Mrhopk1ns

Lurker
Apr 14, 2020
So the title of the thread ought to be “Genuine Cigar from cigarone.com”? Seems like quite an accusative title and first post to leave up with such speculation in it.

I know I wouldn’t enjoy it if someone made a thread calling me a cheat and then halfway through the thread just said, “never mind, just speculation” and left it all up. Search engines are a harsh mistress.

I agree with. I did try to change the title and I did also try just to delete the thread. Do you know how to do that? thanks

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.