PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hello all, I have been here for a few months and realised I have not introduced myself…..yeah totally rude I know!!!
I’m Adam, an Irishman living in New Zealand. Married with two young lads, 2 and 4. I “*work” on the railway here and consider myself a career railwayman. (*None of us actually do any work on any railway!).
I’m fairly new to piping, started around 6 months ago. Always had it in the back of my mind and it was tucked away there until a family death made me look at life in a different view which is “hey we are here for a short time, let’s enjoy it (without going mad)”.
What I like about it…….probably the same as all the group……the smells and tastes, the peace, the time to think, the simplicity of it, the tradition of it, and the friend that is there with me while I am alone. I like old school stuff too, so for me that’s probably a part too.
I have already met a few of you on here, and the nice thing that I see about this forum is how friendly people are and how helpful people are too. What a nice group to be a part of, and thanks for having me here.
Stay safe,
Kind regards,
Adam.

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Oh and yeah, I get quite jealous of you guys when you say hey we have a meeting at such and such a pipe shop, come on down for a smoke…..I’m a pretty sociable person, so a shoutout to you NZ pipers, give me a buzz, I travel the whole country with my job and would be keen to meet up with other pipers. Cheer
Welcome ... Sorry about what you have to pay to enjoy this pastime ... more of a passion for you.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day Adam and welcome from Oz.

"Here for a short time"? Well here's the good news; a U.S. Surgeon Generals report from back in the day, found that pipe smokers who inhale, have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.

Tobacco is not the demonic weed that the rabidly vocal anti-smoking brigade would have one believe.
Pipe tobacco has no nasty added chemicals.
Tailor made cigarettes have a staggering 300 to 600 added chems [some of which I'm convinced are more addictive than the nicotine]

Pipe smokers who do not inhale, have a life expectancy three years beyond that of a non-smoker.
This is due to the meditative nature of puffing on a pipe [and the fact that generally speaking, those who don't inhale tend to smoke one or two bowls a day]

Switching to a pipe from a serious 35+ year cigarette addiction has brought so many benefits.
I quickly lost my smokers cough.
No longer do I crave a smoke and can go all day without a puff when otherwise occupied, no problem.

My only regret is that I did not stick with a pipe when I picked one up for a few months when I was 15yo.