PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't know exactly what the situation was, of course. Overnight? A few hours? If you are close enough to the hosts so they know you are not accusing them (are you?) then I'd confide in them. Either now or after they think about it, they might be able to finger the perpetrator. They might not get a confession, so they might not get your property back. However, they truly need to know that someone they treat as a guest is into larceny. They should know that. Maybe they are missing things too, and they may not even know it. You have to handle this very cooly, so as not to lose friends and pick unneeded fights. Any follow-up you can do in an evenhanded reasonable way could make things hotter for the thief. Don't try to do any law enforcement yourself. Maybe the way to defuse the discussion is to ask them if they (the hosts) are missing anything. Some thieves are quite dim-witted. This person might show up at the hosts' house happily smoking a pipe.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Thank you all for your understanding... .

As I type this, the host, who is aware of the circumstances, is sending out an email to all guests to let them know that an item is missing and its return, open or anonymous, would be greatly appreciated.

All I can count on is the fact that the person who took it thinking it to be something different than what is was, and is willing to return it with a "no questions asked" guarantee in place. Assuming, of course, that it was not already tossed/destroyed.

Not holding my breath, but a glimmer of hope is better than nothing right now.

Jan 8, 2013
I hate hearing stories like this. It's a dang shame. I can't stomach the thought that someones good briar is probably being ruined by someones pot. :x

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
I belive in Karma biting them in the ass. It dosen't get the pipes back but they will pay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stan', sounds like the hosts are with the program. Better they know they have a problem and look over their guest list very carefully. Maybe someone's new love interest or tag-along relative. I'm glad the hosts are understanding and concerned. I doubt this was a misunderstanding. Whoever it was knew those items weren't his. Beyond that, it's splitting hairs. But yeah, the perp probably hoped it was hand guns or drugs.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well that sucks! Good luck replacing/recovering the items.
Not specifically for that reason but partly; my go bag (pipe bag), consists of 2 cobs and 2 basket pipes and basic pipe/cigar accessories. That way if the bag gets stolen, or I lose it or damage something I'm not out a really nice pipe.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
dude that sucks!!! most of the time is the thief you invite in that does the stealing or someone you know!! I had my house broken into and the bastard left my room in shatters, took all of my precious belongings and broke my windows with a brick, turned out it was my brothers friend who he invited to watch a football game, when he went to use the bathroom, he was checking out my place and he had planned on how to go by and breaking in my house, when i found out about the person stealing, i confronted his dad, talked to him like a man, and he didn't blame me for wanting to kick his sons butt, i tried to confront his son , but his son would not get out his room to come outside, he was scared, i left it at a loss and dint want to cause a bigger scene at the mans house, and out of respect i shook the mans hand and he understood and apologize for his sons actions and i left it at a loss, 3 years later, he went to jail for burglary and assault, and is in jail for a long time, and to top it off, the thief was my brothers wife's cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.