PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Extreme Example; Porosity, Pinholes, Cracks

This is a picture of my hand made Barontini ½ Spigot bent billiard when new. It is a good smoking pipe that I enjoy. Unfortunately, the bowl gets too hot to touch as in 2nd degree steam burn hot, like holding your hand over a teapot spigot when boiling water. It can be easily held by the shank or bottom of bowl.

1688323732487.jpeg

I wanted to see how bad the problem was after reading this excellent article from Reborn Pipes which I recommend to all:

Filling in cracks and holes with briar dust and super glue – rebornpipes - https://rebornpipes.com/tag/filling-in-cracks-and-holes-with-briar-dust-and-super-glue/

The original shellac bubbled so I sanded it off to natural briar which I then waxed with Renaissance wax. I continue to regularly smoke this pipe.

As an experiment to see how bad the problem was, I covered the pipe with Elmer’s Carpenter’s Glue which is water soluable and easily removed with a wet cloth so I didn’t ruin the pipe(!).

As you can see below the porosity, pinholes and possible cracks in the very fine grain is extreme.

I don’t have any briar dust handy for the repair suggested in the article above but I could possibly buy a block of briar for under $10 plus shipping if I am sufficiently motivated. I could send the pipe out for repair but even though I paid full price I don’t think it’s worth it. I could also use DAP wood putty which is the second most popular repair recommendation. Or I could do nothing. I am pondering my next move. For those who say throw it out - I enjoy smoking this pipe which is a good smoker. The tobacco and smoking experience are not effected.

I am curious though. Has anyone else dealt with this problem successfully ?

Does anyone have a recommendation for repair that can be done with common or easily obtainable household items. Finally, No, I am not going to cut it in half.

Thank you in advance for constructive or at least funny comments. Health and happiness to all.

Wherever you see a bubble in the glue is probably a pinhole or crack:

1688323886511.jpeg

1688323966259.jpeg

1688324024641.jpeg
1688324090019.jpeg

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I saw the title of your post and thought that it was an extract from a Radiograph Test (RT) rejecting the weldings, due to the porosity, pinholes and cracks.
To say nothing of lack of fusion, undercut, etc....

As to your question, sorry about your predicament, and personally, I haven't had the same issues you are experiencing.

"Does anyone have a recommendation for repair that can be done with common or easily obtainable household items. Finally, No, I am not going to cut it in half."

You are, however, standing next to the garbage dumpster...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All I'm seeing is air trapped under the varnish and glue causing bubbling like Peterson's finish was once notorious for. If there's no moisture weeping you've got nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You are, however, standing next to the garbage dumpster...
You spotted that ! 10 points ! But unfortunately its too good a smoker for that and now that I am sipping rather than puffing its an even more enjoyable pipe. It hangs well and can be held from the bottom. Also those are sterling silver bands. Thanks for the final option though ! ;):ROFLMAO:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
All I'm seeing is air trapped under the varnish and glue causing bubbling like Peterson's finish was once notorious for. If there's no moisture weeping you've got nothing to worry about.
No moisture that I have noticed but those areas do feel like steam heat and can't be held. Should I putty it or just leave it be in your opinion ?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No moisture that I have noticed but those areas do feel like steam heat and can't be held. Should I putty it or just leave it be in your opinion ?
I'd just leave it be. Maybe a bit of wax for an optional shine but it should be right as rain. Some pipes just smoke hot. Try keeping that one for loosely packed ribbon cuts. Possibly even make it a burley or English pipe.

Reactions: Hillcrest
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Looking through @Hillcrest 's photos, it would appear that the briar wasn't completely dry, when it was varnished/lacquered.
If the texture is it appears in the 4 pictures, compared to the single one with steel rule, I'd be tempted to remove the original coating (seek advise about that) and apply coatings of carnauba or similar, after leaving it dry out for some time. As for drying it out, I would suggest leaving it in a can of silica gel/activated alumina for a period of time.
But @Hillcrest , if you're happy with your pipe, as is, then no worries, I guess.
Just my input.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Looking through @Hillcrest 's photos, it would appear that the briar wasn't completely dry, when it was varnished/lacquered.
If the texture is it appears in the 4 pictures, compared to the single one with steel rule, I'd be tempted to remove the original coating (seek advise about that) and apply coatings of carnauba or similar, after leaving it dry out for some time. As for drying it out, I would suggest leaving it in a can of silica gel/activated alumina for a period of time.
But @Hillcrest , if you're happy with your pipe, as is, then no worries, I guess.
Just my input.
Thanks. The original varnish is removed from the upper bowl. I only left it on the bottom to protect the birdseye. I think the pipe is too dry and that's why it may have developed some cracks but I may be wrong. I have waxed it already twice and will do so again once i wash off the glue. The steam coming through the pipe the moisture from smoking slowly. Those areas have microscopically fine grain.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Mix up about a 1 pound cut of shellac - flood it on then wipe it off - rinse and repeat... The goal is to fill only the imperfections with the shellac. Think French Polishing...

In the alternative, coat with shellac and allow to dry. Then remove the shellac from the surface leaving what's in the imperfections alone.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Mix up about a 1 pound cut of shellac - flood it on then wipe it off - rinse and repeat... The goal is to fill only the imperfections with the shellac. Think French Polishing...

In the alternative, coat with shellac and allow to dry. Then remove the shellac from the surface leaving what's in the imperfections alone.
The shellac that originally coated the pipe bubbled from the heat so no to the shellac. As a follow up, the carpenter's glue peeled off like a skin and I cleaned the pipe with alcohol and put a coat of renaissance wax on it so it is drying now and back to normal natural briar. The bowl of Match Sunrise smoked perfectly without the pipe getting too hot. In fact I was smoking it while peeling the glue off.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
You spotted that ! 10 points ! But unfortunately its too good a smoker for that and now that I am sipping rather than puffing its an even more enjoyable pipe. It hangs well and can be held from the bottom. Also those are sterling silver bands. Thanks for the final option though ! ;):ROFLMAO:
" Unfortunately, the bowl gets too hot to touch as in 2nd degree steam burn hot, like holding your hand over a teapot spigot when boiling water. It can be easily held by the shank or bottom of bowl."

We have different ideas of what makes a good smoker LOL

• Haha
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
" Unfortunately, the bowl gets too hot to touch as in 2nd degree steam burn hot, like holding your hand over a teapot spigot when boiling water. It can be easily held by the shank or bottom of bowl."

We have different ideas of what makes a good smoker LOL
The smoke and smoking is fine. It hangs from the jaw and is a perfect driving pipe. In all other respects its actually a great "hand made" pipe. I know you may find that hard to believe but true.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The smoke and smoking is fine. It hangs from the jaw and is a perfect driving pipe. In all other respects its actually a great "hand made" pipe. I know you may find that hard to believe but true.
How old is it?