Explain The Meditative Stage (Out of Body Experience)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
The Vietnam Era, whether we were there or not had a profound effect . It produced many cynical people, particularly men from my observations. Many of them were drawn to Harley Davidson Motorcycles. Whether would admit it or not, it provided them with a meditative/peaceful/purpose for their lives, almost cult like.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I used to be into astro projection and it worked throughout my youth. It stopped working when I came down to earth and became an adult with a legit life.
Now I get that feeling without having to look for it and can only surmise that if you look for it, you'll never find it. If I relax and quit thinking about trying to get "there", I get "there". It'll happen when it happens. It has little to do with smoking a pipe or ingesting marvelous chemicals....... of course that helps but you can do it with just your mind.

Reactions: F4RM3R

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Sounds more like smoking DMT to me, although I’ve not used that particular psychedelic drug…

I certainly go into a trance and a relaxed meditative state though with a pipe, and cigar, but pipes are better because of the ritual…

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've read people discribe the same using a straight razor for the first time or restoring and using a old fountain pen to compose their thoughts on a sheet of quality paper. Perhaps it is the concentration required, the muscle memory that's being developed.

Playing music can have this effect. listening to music can have this effect. Walking, running, and hiking can have this effect. It is when all of our energies and consciousness is channeled on one thing. We are more aware and less aware at the same time.

Good post. Ignore the near-do-wells.
give the man a cigar. He hit the nail on the head almost. The state of flow is what's being described. It's a state that requires attention but such a little amount of attention and focus that it comes naturally. The best description of nicotine as a drug I've read described it as increasing neurological fluidity. It doesn't cause one state of consciousness or another but allows the brain to more seamlessly switch between them. So while other things might require the same semi attention or relaxed focus (how ever you want to put it) they're not aided by nicotine like with smoking a pipe. That combination is literally conducive to a state of flow (which could also be described as incidentally meditative state.) Even in low variations of the state of flow you get that relaxation and sense of better focus from a pipe. It's not just the nicotine and it's not just the activity. If you want another example of the same principle slightly differently achieved look into the Japanese Zen Tea Ceremony. Same principles but replace the nicotine with caffeine and certain amino acids.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Meditative State? Too much literature and not enough life experience.

people use flowery words all the time to describe peace and solitude.

I think you’re referring to something else, induced by something else, that leads to something else.
I disagree. Life experience often leads to a desire for greater specificity in language to describe experiences. You know when you're trying to explain what you've seen or experienced and your word quiver just doesn't have the right arrows ( :) ). Example I am sure you got some crazy words for talking about burnt down buildings when compared to me, you know a person who's mostly read about that in the news or heard stories from people that lost all their stuff and thankfully not their lives.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Sounds more like smoking DMT to me, although I’ve not used that particular psychedelic drug…

I certainly go into a trance and a relaxed meditative state though with a pipe, and cigar, but pipes are better because of the ritual…
no that's less out of body and more out of universe experience. Tried it once and met some Boschian (as in Hieronymus Bosch) creatures on a Escherious (as in Mc Escher) cliff face. Honestly interesting experience but don't feel like it improved or enriched anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think pipe smoking puts anyone into a disembodied meditative state by itself, unless the person is so inclined by nature and/or training. I think pipe smoking can help most people relax and self-center and sustain an equilibrium. Some find it good for thought and creativity, but only if they are so inclined anyway. Most meditative practices would probably discourage smoking.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I disagree. Life experience often leads to a desire for greater specificity in language to describe experiences. You know when you're trying to explain what you've seen or experienced and your word quiver just doesn't have the right arrows ( :) ). Example I am sure you got some crazy words for talking about burnt down buildings when compared to me, you know a person who's mostly read about that in the news or heard stories from people that lost all their stuff and thankfully not their lives.
I should’ve been clearer. A lived life gives you the correct words for a situation.

You give the example of a fire scene. Some might think hot and pretty. I see the remains of combustion; however, my training, education and experience narrows down what type of combustion.

The specific topic is meditative state. My experience with pipes and tobacco has never been meditative. It’s a tool. A tool through which experience teaches me I want more.

I smoke a pipe to stay occupied with the various parts of the experience. That’s the “calming” effect for me. I don’t get transported to faraway places. It keeps my brain from running headlong into speeding locomotive.

Potato Potahto

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I should’ve been clearer. A lived life gives you the correct words for a situation.

You give the example of a fire scene. Some might think hot and pretty. I see the remains of combustion; however, my training, education and experience narrows down what type of combustion.

The specific topic is meditative state. My experience with pipes and tobacco has never been meditative. It’s a tool. A tool through which experience teaches me I want more.

I smoke a pipe to stay occupied with the various parts of the experience. That’s the “calming” effect for me. I don’t get transported to faraway places. It keeps my brain from running headlong into speeding locomotive.

Potato Potahto
that last line. Cause what you described is meditative.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
no that's less out of body and more out of universe experience. Tried it once and met some Boschian (as in Hieronymus Bosch) creatures on a Escherious (as in Mc Escher) cliff face. Honestly interesting experience but don't feel like it improved or enriched anything.
I would think you would have to go out of your body in order to get out of the universe… A guy I know did it and was actually looking at himself from across the room, that has to be a crazy experience…. He never did it again.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Seems the hypno smoke is having fun with the auto correct.

A favorite of Einstein.
That’s actually pretty shocking, I thought he was pretty straight laced, I’m surprised. i googled it and the Interweb said it’s true, I am shocked though. I would guess maybe as a teen. Also he died in 55 and LSD was pretty new then, so clearly he did it as an adult… wow.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That’s actually pretty shocking, I thought he was pretty straight laced, I’m surprised. i googled it and the Interweb said it’s true, I am shocked though. I would guess maybe as a teen. Also he died in 55 and LSD was pretty new then, so clearly he did it as an adult… wow.
Yep and DMT was found in his system post mortem. Many of the "thinking" men in history were avid drug fans.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
O
Yep and DMT was found in his system post mortem. Many of the "thinking" men in history were avid drug fans.
oh yeah I knew that, but somehow I thought Einstein was beyond needing that stuff, some are. Jobs used to drop acid, and i heard that was his first vision of the IPhone…

Reactions: Chasing Embers

andre3s

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Chambly, QC
Something weird happened to me once. I wrote about it here in this forum.
The first time I tried EMP, I felt like I was transported to a different place and I had a feeling like "now I'm home. Everything will be fine."
True story.

Reactions: F4RM3R
Status
Not open for further replies.