Explain The Meditative Stage (Out of Body Experience)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Can someone explain the meditative stage smoking a pipe can put you into?

I don't smoke often, a few bowls per week, sometimes less. But almost everytime I smoke, I get into this strange meditative stage that only happens when I smoke a pipe. It's a realy strange feeling, sometimes the meditative stage gets so "powerfull" it's a out of body experience. The first time it happend I got scared. Well, maybe not scared, more like spooked. I have never felt something similar with other nicotine products.

How does it work? I have tried just about everything to recreate it. Meditate with and without chew/snus. "Fake" smoking a pipe while using snus. Smoking a cigar while inbetween puffs clench my pipe to get the "feeling", nothing works. The only thing that works is a pipe. And it don't seem to matter much which pipe tobacco either, but I seem to have the best results with medium strong blends. Too much nicotine and the feeling goes away, same with not enough nicotine.

I have a hard time believing that only nicotine together with the whole rutine with smoking, tamping, relights and searching for flavors can create something like this. But at the same time, I highly doubt pipe tobacco manufacturers put something "special" in there tobacco. (Maybe it's the preservatives?)

What are your thoughts about the meditative stage?

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
What are you smoking in your pipe? puffy

My last bowl was 2016 Nightcap, got into the meditative stage about 1/4 into it.

Find it so hard to explain, it's like nothing in the world exist other then me and my pipe. There is no pain, no stress, no nothing. Just the vast emptiness of the universe, me and my pipe.

Another thing I have noticed is that my hearing gets very effected once i'm into the stage. A few weeks ago I was so lost in my pipe I did not notice or hear someone knocked on my door until they realy started banging which "knocked me out" of the meditative stage. Once I got back to my pipe I did not return into the meditative stage but did so on my next bowl a few days later.

Reactions: JOHN72 and cshubhra
My last bowl was 2016 Nightcap, got into the meditative stage about 1/4 into it.

Find it so hard to explain, it's like nothing in the world exist other then me and my pipe. There is no pain, no stress, no nothing. Just the vast emptiness of the universe, me and my pipe.

Another thing I have noticed is that my hearing gets very effected once i'm into the stage. A few weeks ago I was so lost in my pipe I did not notice or hear someone knocked on my door until they realy started banging which "knocked me out" of the meditative stage. Once I got back to my pipe I did not return into the meditative stage but did so on my next bowl a few days later.
I was joking, but in general very few (If any at all) experience what you are experiencing with tobacco. Maybe the Placebo effect, but enjoy what you got.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Count yourself fortunate to attain any elevated trance for the pennies of effort in smoking a bowl. I say this because any trance seems beyond me, even for an hour (without a pipe). I think it obvious that nicotine is part of your method. Any trance is a good trance so long as your inner experience is enriching. Enjoy.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Placebo or not, i'm definitely not complaining. Just wish there where other ways to recreate the feeling/stage without smoking a pipe. But if I did find one, maybe I would not enjoy smoking a pipe as much.

Strange thing this.

Reactions: JOHN72

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I feel like that a bit when I sit and smoke - typically I'm doing stuff in the garden. Its basically extreme mindfulness I think. Mindfulness is basically being objectively aware of a feeling, emotion, thought, typically something internal. I think when smoking well you are super aware of the act, slow, drawing, the flavor. People meditate to practice mindfulness. So it makes sense that being super mindfulness feels like meditation. Sorry, I'm in education and an SEL consultant so it's been on my mind recently.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Do check that 5 years old Nightcap for any fungal growth. Been using tobacco for well over 40 years and I haven't ran into any hallucination. Maybe you might consult professionals. Might be an early sign of advancing age. If it turns out this is a normal response to your body's reaction to tobacco use, congratulations.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have never had this happen, sadly. The closest I came was the one time I tried Sutliff 515 RC-1. It tasted like I was gargling with an amalgamation of apple cider vinegar and fermented ocelot urine. I just sat there, slowly puffing, wondering if I was missing something, and if it would get any better. It didn't, and the longer the experience dragged itself out, I began to wonder whether or not this would adversely impact the future of my pipe smoking as a whole. Sort of like in a movie when someone's about to die, and their life flashes before their eyes, except the other way...the future was flashing before my eyes, and it was rather nightmarish in nature. But, in retrospect, it was kind of like a meditative state, at least in terms of the full-body paralysis, the tears shed, and the double-length mouthwash session afterwards.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA

Maybe Nightcap-ijuana ? Hey, anything is possible, but I’ve never come close to experiencing a “Meditative Stage” from Nightcap, or any other tobacco. Maybe you are experiencing an allergic reaction to a pyrolized carcinogen, which occurs from the burning of hydrocarbons…

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Perhaps all this time I've been doing it wrong when I have a smoke.

I'm usually reading - newspapers, magazines, book or the Forums when I should just be allowing my brain to blank out. But then I'd be too afraid I'd fall asleep and risk getting embers dumped onto some part of my anatomy.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

Well, being lost in your pipe isn't really what is typically meant by a meditative state. Most meditative states should make one a bit hyper-aware, not shut down your senses such that you can't notice someone banging on your door. however helpful that may be at times. ;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've never experienced an out-if-body state when smoking a pipe, but then again, I don't smoke nic bombs. Meditation is essentially breathing, and letting your mind wander where it will.
I've had some splendidly relaxing smokes, just sitting in my lawn chair listening to the rustling of the trees or the melodious sounds of drive by shootings.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Can someone explain the meditative stage smoking a pipe can put you into?

I don't smoke often, a few bowls per week, sometimes less. But almost everytime I smoke, I get into this strange meditative stage that only happens when I smoke a pipe. It's a realy strange feeling, sometimes the meditative stage gets so "powerfull" it's a out of body experience. The first time it happend I got scared. Well, maybe not scared, more like spooked. I have never felt something similar with other nicotine products.

How does it work? I have tried just about everything to recreate it. Meditate with and without chew/snus. "Fake" smoking a pipe while using snus. Smoking a cigar while inbetween puffs clench my pipe to get the "feeling", nothing works. The only thing that works is a pipe. And it don't seem to matter much which pipe tobacco either, but I seem to have the best results with medium strong blends. Too much nicotine and the feeling goes away, same with not enough nicotine.

I have a hard time believing that only nicotine together with the whole rutine with smoking, tamping, relights and searching for flavors can create something like this. But at the same time, I highly doubt pipe tobacco manufacturers put something "special" in there tobacco. (Maybe it's the preservatives?)

What are your thoughts about the meditative stage?
When I smoke my pipe it’s sitting in a chair watching what’s going on in my garden and usually listening to the radio. I definitely know what you are referring to. It doesn’t happen often. I would say it’s usually because I have stopped thinking about things and have really relaxed.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Trance states and meditative states can be brought on by many different means and the tobacco pipe can be one of them. It can change your perspective, hence why many great minds and thinkers have utilized this aspect of pipe smoking. But change the state of the mind and the body will follow, same goes for changing the state of the body(as in breathing) and the mind will follow. So yes these experiences can happen in a variety of ways, everyone is different though.

Most people won't trip balls smoking a pipe though. I personally go into a trance state and experience some visual changes quite often when I smoke a pipe. Not full on visual hallucinations as most people would imagine, but more of a change in light and depth perception, in my feild of vision. This accompanies a mental and physical change too. It's not like overwhelming or anything and I can snap myself out of it, but it's a trance or meditative state. I think it's the fact of controlled breath and the nicotine aids as well.

Now I've personally had many experiences in altered states, with the aid of substance and without, so it's somewhat easy and familiar for me to go into these states.

But at the end of the day, everyone will experience something differently and the important thing is that you are enjoying yourself and hopefully chillin the fuck out!

Status
Not open for further replies.