PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Is Ennerdale the main popular Lakeland style blend? Are there lots of others? Is it a popular style or niche?
I think Ennerdale is the most popular but there are many others out there, my favourite is No. 7 Broken Flake. I have a fair bit hoarded away. This is mixed in with some aromatics but this is what I can get in the UK

Reactions: Egg Shen

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Sablebrush’s advice will work, I’ve successfully purged lakelands before. That was before I loved them. My treatment now is to smoke more lakelands though it. But when I did it I was OK to destroy the pipe. I used alcohol in the stem and probably an oxi-clean soak after. Be ready to rebuff the stem if you do that. I believe I salt alcohol treated 2x and then retorted it several times.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Is Ennerdale the main popular Lakeland style blend? Are there lots of others? Is it a popular style or niche?
A clarification: Lakelands means tobaccos made by Gawith, in the Lake District of the UK (a wonderful place). Then you need to dissect whether whoever writes “Lakelands” actually likes them or not. Regardless of whether one likes them or not, the term refers to the aromatised blends from Gawith & Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith (same manufacturer, two brands). Then those who don’t like them usually refer to various things that have zero relation to how these blends smell and taste (like urinals, grandma underwear, bathmats). Those who do like them usually are crazy for them for their uniqueness, harmony between tobacco and additives, and know that there are BIG differences between them.

@sablebrush52 much more accurately refers to the underlying general whiff that accompanies a lot of Gawith blends, aromatised or not, which can remind one of soap, and sometimes translates to the smoke.

Regarding Ennerdale, not my favourite, but a good one still. Would put Coniston Cut Plug, Bosun, Dark Flake Scented above it personally.
@Ahi Ka not Lakeland police, but could I qualify as a Lakeland preacher?

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
A clarification: Lakelands means tobaccos made by Gawith, in the Lake District of the UK (a wonderful place). Then you need to dissect whether whoever writes “Lakelands” actually likes them or not. Regardless of whether one likes them or not, the term refers to the aromatised blends from Gawith & Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith (same manufacturer, two brands). Then those who don’t like them usually refer to various things that have zero relation to how these blends smell and taste (like urinals, grandma underwear, bathmats). Those who do like them usually are crazy for them for their uniqueness, harmony between tobacco and additives, and know that there are BIG differences between them.

@sablebrush52 much more accurately refers to the underlying general whiff that accompanies a lot of Gawith blends, aromatised or not, which can remind one of soap, and sometimes translates to the smoke.

Regarding Ennerdale, not my favourite, but a good one still. Would put Coniston Cut Plug, Bosun, Dark Flake Scented above it personally.
Thanks, Karam and others. I appreciate the knowledge

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
The only way I ever found of exorcising a lakeland ghost was to sand the inside of the bowl back to the bare wood. Then give it salt-alcohol. Then sand a bit more, until I was only getting brown wood dust. I used 180-grit paper, so it didn't remove too much wood, but not something I'd like to repeat too often or in a particularly precious pipe.

Condor is even worse than GH&Co. I once smoked one single bowl of Condor in a pipe and can taste it to this day.

Those ghosts are there to stay.

I only smoke lakelands and Brit codger blends now in a dedicated Falcon with different bowls. It seems to suit them.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I'm making progress by simply smoking the daylights out of the pipe, primarily with burley based blends and subtle aromatics. At least as an aromatic pipe it will see use. I think I'm done with Lakelands (gasp!) so the pipe would do me little good there.

Reactions: dunnyboy and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Can it be done?
I only smoked Lakeland blend three times or so. BUT it was Ennerdale.
Pipe was new briar, so there’s no cake.
I gave it hot water treatment, and now I’m smoking OJK in it but yeah, definitely a ghost in there.
It can be done. It just takes time.. the first few smokes may be a bit flowery. It’s good to use a blend that this compliments like a VA.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

I have said it before but will repeat it.
You are one of only a few here who appear to understand the lakeland/Gawith blends.

there is no one lakeland blend but several different ones using different oils/botanicals

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have said it before but will repeat it.
You are one of only a few here who appear to understand the lakeland/Gawith blends.

there is no one lakeland blend but several different ones using different oils/botanicals
Thanks for the compliment! It is a compliment but I am sure there are many here who understand them very well, it's just economical to just say "Lakelands"!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
YASSSSSS HE'S BAAAAAACK

giphy.gif