PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My successful overnight Everclear and paper towel treatment of two Lees ghosted from being stored with country hams curing has reminded me I learn something new about pipe smoking all the time, even after a half century since my first pipe.

C5E2B3DC-8DCF-44D0-B865-9DB468788687.jpeg

I’ve ordered $3 worth of real cotton balls.

And I’m trying out coffee grounds tonight.

——-
jwebb90

Dec 7, 2022

When I want to remove a ghost I put freshly used coffee grounds in the bowl and let it sit for 24 hrs. It’s worked in removing the most stubborn of Latakia ghost and I’m sure it would do the same for a Lakeland.
——

I love coffee.

That might be a friendly ghost.:)

Reactions: Deano

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I just got lucky with an estate purchase -- an Oldenkott for $60 . I bought it cuz I liked the design, the proportions, though I knew almost nothing about Oldenkott. The thing turned out to be a terrific smoker from the get-go. Every aspect of this pipe is first rate.
Except : it has a Lakeland Ghost. I don't smoke aros or any Lakeland blends. For those of you out there who have also had this experience with an estate, how long did it take before this ghost receded ? I smoke Va and VaPer flakes almost exclusively. Any info appreciated.
Did you ream out the cake? Cleaned airway, mortise and stem with alcohol?

I once had a ghosted pipe, it took a few weeks to get that scents out while smoking. I tried cotton pads, salt with alcohol with no effect. It gave the tobaccos a certain aroma. Now I am missing it.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Did you ream out the cake? Cleaned airway, mortise and stem with alcohol?

I once had a ghosted pipe, it took a few weeks to get that scents out while smoking. I tried cotton pads, salt with alcohol with no effect. It gave the tobaccos a certain aroma. Now I am missing it.
I know. Some ghosts are friendly.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
The ghost is most likely in the shank/mortise area. I agree with reaming the chamber back to wood and a good detailed cleaning of the mortise. The alcohol retort is also a good idea.

Reactions: UB 40