PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I just got lucky with an estate purchase -- an Oldenkott for $60 . I bought it cuz I liked the design, the proportions, though I knew almost nothing about Oldenkott. The thing turned out to be a terrific smoker from the get-go. Every aspect of this pipe is first rate.
Except : it has a Lakeland Ghost. I don't smoke aros or any Lakeland blends. For those of you out there who have also had this experience with an estate, how long did it take before this ghost receded ? I smoke Va and VaPer flakes almost exclusively. Any info appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I've read that a Lakeland ghosts can last about 800 years. puffy

Clean and scrape that thing back, and use salt and alcohol, then pack with coffee grounds, and then after weeks of fiddling with it, just crush the thing under the heal of your boot. That's all that worked for me., puffy

Or, maybe just learn to enjoy smoking strong Englishes in it that match the Lakeland essence for you.

I really enjoy my Oldencott. When I broke the stem, I just turned the thing into a spigot to keep smoking it.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Smoke some Balkan sasanie in it a few times. I had a pipe I ghosted with Ennerdale, before I knew better. The sasanie vanquished the Ghost. Worth a shot maybe.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Coffee grounds didn't work.
Everclear and activated carbon didn't work.
I've never done this, but isn't there something about using denatured alcohol and flame ? Any guidance here ?
Sad situation cuz the "engineering" of the pipe seems just right.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Try using vinegar. Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar, keep it in the chamber for several days, until the cotton ball comes out dry. It may take a couple treatments with the vinegar but it was the only thing that worked to neutralize the ghost of Lakelands for me.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Mar 1, 2014
Coffee grounds didn't work.
Everclear and activated carbon didn't work.
I've never done this, but isn't there something about using denatured alcohol and flame ? Any guidance here ?
Sad situation cuz the "engineering" of the pipe seems just right.
Give it a competing ghost with something familiar, either your favourite English or Aromatic blend.
The only reason ghosting is offputting is because it seems foreign right now, if you build some positive association with blends you enjoy alongside the ghost it will become an attribute of "character" rather than nuisance.

If you've given it several good cleanings there is nothing more that can be done, it's a good pipe, the ghost can only bother you so long as you give it attention.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just got lucky with an estate purchase -- an Oldenkott for $60 . I bought it cuz I liked the design, the proportions, though I knew almost nothing about Oldenkott. The thing turned out to be a terrific smoker from the get-go. Every aspect of this pipe is first rate.
Except : it has a Lakeland Ghost. I don't smoke aros or any Lakeland blends. For those of you out there who have also had this experience with an estate, how long did it take before this ghost receded ? I smoke Va and VaPer flakes almost exclusively. Any info appreciated.
My go-to has always been the traditional salt-and-alcohol treatment. I’m sure there are in-depth guidelines for it here, if that’s not familiar to you.