PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My Balkan is sitting here awaiting smoking. I was actually hoping for that tinge of Lakeland. It's a new love and I just wish it was easier to lay hands on, in bulk, at the moment.

Still, I've got nothing but respect for the folks at Gawith and co.
Agree. Even 3 years ago it was all available everywhere.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
By Lakeland I specifically mean “floral” not tonquin etc.
OK, I see where you're coming from. I actually think Ennerdale has plenty of floral and I say this with jars of Grasmere, BCP, BFS, DFS, etc., on my shelf. It's just that the floral is balanced (drowned?) out in Ennerdale by the other flavors, like the almond, the vanilla and the sweet.

Now, I'll have to get No. 7 BF to check it out. Ah, the thrill of the chase!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bunnies and unicorns ... hmm, that sounds pretty good actually. How long should they be dried out before the charring light, and is a regular match okay or do I need like wizard fire or something esoteric? ?

They are great charred. Even better in a braised jamaican curry. Bunnies that is, I haven't managed to find any good unicorn recipes yet.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’m currently smoking some #7 Broken Flake, and it’s definitely floral. But not in a strong rose geranium way, more like a vanilla-Nag Champa floral. I really like it, as it’s solid VA tobacco topped so it smells like a record/import/head shop I used to spend a lot of time in while I was in high school.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I’m currently smoking some #7 Broken Flake, and it’s definitely floral. But not in a strong rose geranium way, more like a vanilla-Nag Champa floral. I really like it, as it’s solid VA tobacco topped so it smells like a record/import/head shop I used to spend a lot of time in while I was in high school.
The exotic smells of the east eh? Just like Haight-Ashbury!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you want a true psychedelic experience smoke RB plug.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
OK, I see where you're coming from. I actually think Ennerdale has plenty of floral and I say this with jars of Grasmere, BCP, BFS, DFS, etc., on my shelf. It's just that the floral is balanced (drowned?) out in Ennerdale by the other flavors, like the almond, the vanilla and the sweet.

Now, I'll have to get No. 7 BF to check it out. Ah, the thrill of the chase!
Me and BROBS were talking about this earlier. I believe there are at least 4 different strong flavors that make up the core Lakeland essences and some are more sensitive to certain ones.
Rose Geranium, Tonka Bean, Violet, and Juicyfruit(Isoamyl Acetate). Ennerdale has all so it tastes balanced to me but is intense to those sensitive to all 4. 1792 is heavy on tonka, Grasmere is all RG, Erinmore/Elwood#2 is all Juicyfruit, BF7 is Violet and Tonka. Everything else is mixed up. Then there are the ones that feature clove oil?? Firedance and Talisman just use brandies. The African VAs hit a lot of the Lakeland notes too so for some it really doesn't matter if there is zero additives, they're gonna taste Lakeland just because of their associations with the base tobaccos.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Rose Geranium is one of my favorites as RB Plug always reminds me of Petunia Oil and heavy metal chicks at Stone Henge circa 1983 or a Motor Head concert. Grassmere or whatever its called is also brilliant and has finally weened me off my morning from the death of Condor Plug. I am quite partial to Mick McQuaid but it does rather smell of fruit cake and almonds although I can't help but think its Warrior Plug with a different topping. Velvan Plug has no lakeland essence and tastes like Warrior and I have a bunch of it that one day I'll get around to smoking. I tried some Cannon Plug kindly sent to me by a forum member and I just couldn't get anything Lakeland out of the thing, I sent it off to Weezell and who also drew a similar blank. Some say the original War Horse had a Lakeland/Shampoo taste but I have never detected it, although the new version used to taste like the original I am reliably informed. If I have missed anything here please do add. What is the story with the legendary and fabled Ennerdale Plug. Does it exist?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Me and BROBS were talking about this earlier. I believe there are at least 4 different strong flavors that make up the core Lakeland essences and some are more sensitive to certain ones.
Rose Geranium, Tonka Bean, Violet, and Juicyfruit(Isoamyl Acetate). Ennerdale has all so it tastes balanced to me but is intense to those sensitive to all 4. 1792 is heavy on tonka, Grasmere is all RG, Erinmore/Elwood#2 is all Juicyfruit, BF7 is Violet and Tonka. Everything else is mixed up. Then there are the ones that feature clove oil?? Firedance and Talisman just use brandies. The African VAs hit a lot of the Lakeland notes too so for some it really doesn't matter if there is zero additives, they're gonna taste Lakeland just because of their associations with the base tobaccos.
That's very interesting. I do think there's also variation in the sheer amount of goop in each blend/flake. I think Ennerdale has relative more of topping in it than the other Lakelands.

Then, there's the variation between batches of a particular blend/flake. For instance, some tins of Ennerdale will seem have more goop than others. Does anyone else experience this?

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Does Lakeland thing taste like cilantro? I heard people saying cilantro tastes like soap. I'll probably like the stuff. Just don't want to ghost the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.