PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
When I think of Lakelands, I think back to the bath powders they old ladies used to cover themselves in back in the 60s before going to church. When I first tried a Lakeland blend back in the 70s, it almost made me quite pipe smoking because of the cloying aftertaste. That being said, I now occasionally like a Lakeland blend and I have three pipes that I dedicate to them. Celtic Talisman is one of my favorites.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
When I think of Lakelands, I think back to the bath powders they old ladies used to cover themselves in back in the 60s before going to church. When I first tried a Lakeland blend back in the 70s, it almost made me quite pipe smoking because of the cloying aftertaste. That being said, I now occasionally like a Lakeland blend and I have three pipes that I dedicate to them. Celtic Talisman is one of my favorites.
Celtic Talisman has no Lakeland.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s all about expectations. If you want straight tobacco flavour, stay away from the Lakelands.

I have some #7 broken flake that is a really great vabur in the second half of the bowl once the Lakeland burns off. But if I wanted that perfume, it would be disappointing after it burned off. So no matter my mood, I don’t seem to pick it. I have to be in a mood for half perfume, half good vabur.
No 7 is one of the most highly perfumed Lakeland’s IMO.

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I love lakeland essence. Not all day every day, but often enough.

That being said, I don’t think of Balkan Mixture as having much lakeland presence at all. The tiniest hint of fruitiness possibly, but nowhere near enough to take it out of the flavor realm of a typical english/balkan.

At least, as others have mentioned, you know that you not only don’t like it, but are apparently hyper-sensitive to it as well!

Don’t write off all GH or SG though, plenty if them have very little lakeland presence, or none at all.

Although I would have said that about Balkan Mixture, so grain of salt, etc etc.
Also give it another try later with an open mind. You may like it over time. Kind of like drinking coffee... I doubt you liked your first cup of black coffee.

or when we first started drinking beer we’d plug our nose so we couldn’t taste it. Over time we liked it. ?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I dont get it And now, the smell is in my beard, and I am getting worked up everytime I get a whiff of it.

what am I missing here? I will admit, I know nothing about pipe tobacco. But COME ON!!

I've seen this a lot. Thats just the evil leaving your body. For a time I worked for the Vatican (before they got molesty) doing exorcisms. Lakeland essence is the purest thing in earth, better than holy water for spraying on the possessed to rid them of demons. You don't think the government minions are really afraid of flavored tobacco do you? Hell no! Those demons are afraid of Lakeland! They Just can't say or type the word because it would banish them to the pit so they go after flavors hoping to take Lakeland with them.

Just let the soapy, flowery, funky wonderfulness flow over you son. You think you've seen colors? Just give it time to clear out your system and you'll see and taste real color!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lakeland aromatics and apparently some others have that famous rose/geranium scent that is called by some "grandma's bathmat." It is famous for ghosting pipes, that is leaving its scent for years to come no matter what. Many who like to smoke these designate specific pipes for them only. I've heard other complaints that some of the blends designated non-aromatic still carry the fragrance, whether by intention or some cross-contamination, we'll never know. Since I like tobacco forward aromatics, and most often smoke non-aromatics, I don't go the Lakeland route. However, the Lake District itself, where they are blended, is one of my favorite parts of the world with great memories attached.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I've noticed two distinct "Lakeland" flavorings: floral and soapy.

Take two G&H Flakes, for instance:
Grasmere was wonderfully floral for most of the bowl, and pleasant if a bit weird.

Bright CR Flake fills your mouth with soap (think shampoo in the mouth) for about 5 minutes, then once you brave that awful experience, you're left with a really great unflavored VA flake.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ennerdale has less Lakeland than many others.
I would question this, but I have no empirical evidence to do so with. Which blends are more “lakelandey” to your tastes?

However, when debating which “high powered” lakelands is “The King” when it comes to my desire to smoke it, I have to agree with @chasingembers that Ennerdale holds the crown as of yet.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would question this, but I have no empirical evidence to do so with. Which blends are more “lakelandey” to your tastes?

However, when debating which “high powered” lakelands is “The King” when it comes to my desire to smoke it, I have to agree with @chasingembers that Ennerdale holds the crown as of yet.
I agree it’s delicious and one of my faves. But I find it less floral than Grasmere, BF7, or even Bosun Cut Plug.

Reactions: rushx9 and mingc

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It is an acquired taste , and remember Brits have always had a bit peculiar taste preferances when it comes to food drinks and pipe tobacco, for instance take that Gin , ain't that pretty weirdo tasting beverage? although I do like it (Gin)especially in the afternoons enjoyed as an aperitif
Absolutely. They put these same floral flavors in cakes and cookies. Especially most popular around the turn of the century.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
My Balkan is sitting here awaiting smoking. I was actually hoping for that tinge of Lakeland. It's a new love and I just wish it was easier to lay hands on, in bulk, at the moment.

Still, I've got nothing but respect for the folks at Gawith and co.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.