Ever Take A 25 Tin Flyer On Something You Have Never Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I did buy other belnds
Nope, I don’t think it’s the smartest move to buy 25 tins of something you’ve never tried before.

I did buy a tub of Edward G. Robinson’s Pipe Blend as they didn’t have the small tins at the time. If I just look at that stuff it gives me chemical burn. Horrible, horrible chemical burn. Ugh!
hawky, definitely not one of my smartest moves. I had no idea that SG ever used reds with their Virginia's. I did learn my lesson. All of the next big purchases had a test tin and at least half smoked before I loaded up. At least with Cabbies it will go up in value over the years.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I did buy other belnds

hawky, definitely not one of my smartest moves. I had no idea that SG ever used reds with their Virginia's. I did learn my lesson. All of the next big purchases had a test tin and at least half smoked before I loaded up. At least with Cabbies it will go up in value over the years.
Ahhhh, that’s why you didn’t like it! Gotchya, I thought it was because some tins seem to randomly have a bit of the Lakeland Sauce. I prefer it without the sauce, my first 10 tins had zero sauce, then I bought 100 tins and wouldn’t ya know it... I never know what I’m gonna get when I open one. Sometimes it’s saucy, other times it is a straight VaPer. :cry:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think I've done 25 tins but as often as not, you can't due to purchase limits. I've bought 15 to 20 tins several times on limited items such as Small Batch blends from C&D. I figure if I hated it, someone would like it enough to buy mine at some point. Better to take some risk than to lose out completely.

Last edited:

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think I've done 25 tins but as often as not, you can't due to purchase limits. I've bought 15 to 20 tins several times on limited items such as Small Batch blends from C&D. I figure if I hated it, someone would like it enough to buy mine at some point. Better to take some risk than to lose out completely.

This is the correct answer. Buying tobacco is like buying Tesla stocks in 2011; everyone knew it was going to explode, but most people sat around and did nothing. Virtually every blend will go up in value. It might be a year, five years, or ten years, but tobacco will always go up in price.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
25 tins..., that’s like 5 boxes of SG BBF a long time ago.
And I used to regularly buy 20 - 3.5oz tins of McC Christmas Cheer each year for 15 years running.
Sorry, some of those were Red VAs, the Orange VAs were/are the best.
Yep, done it.
Any orange Virginias of note still available?

Like @gervais , I smoked a couple bowls of FVF and am probably sitting on 5 pounds now over the course of a few months. Took a punt on 2 boxes of BBF, now have 3 or 4 pounds jarred up along with a few blocks of Kendal Plug.

The last chance I took was on 11 tins of this past CRF release. Not the best Virginia I have, but pretty danged good and I bet it will age well, so no worries there. I cracked a tin upon receipt and like it well enough.

Generally, though, I try things before buying multiples.

Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bought ten tins of Frog Morton Cellar. Didn't like it, but it's aging in a dark cupboard. Also ten tins of another blend, by Greg Pease. Can't remember the name but it made me dizzy or nauseous. Also aging in the cupboard. ,

Reactions: BROBS

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Never. I like to try blends first before going deep. I start with a 2oz or bulk sample and go from there. Some of my favorite blends only come in 2oz tins and others in 8oz, which saves some money. I do however buy 2-3 tins of holiday release stuff or limited edition without trying, such as the newly marketed Sutliff Barrel Aged Series. Bought 3 and even if I don't like it I wont be swimming in regret.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I do however buy 2-3 tins of holiday release stuff or limited edition without trying, such as the newly marketed Sutliff Barrel Aged Series. Bought 3 and even if I don't like it I wont be swimming in regret.

I saw the emails on this stuff as well. Kind of surprised there wasn't an imposed tin limit on it. Cup O Joes sold out; SP has something like 40 tins left; and I see P&C is advertising it now as well...it'll probably all be gone by day's end.

I haven't tried any of the Sutliff Krumble Kake blends...this one has me kind of curious though. Apple brandy barrels? Hmm...

Reactions: BROBS and Jwebb90

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I just bought 7 tins of the new sutliff barrel aged crumble kake. Now, i love the sutliff red virginia kake and cringle flake so i am fairly certain to like this. I also have purchased, in the past, 15 tins of HU Bahia Orange from Estervals without having tried it just on a hunch. Good stuff it is. Have been sort of burned on multi- tin purchases of fairly recent C&D limited flake runs. I now have drawers containing lots of xx flake, red virginia with perique etc all of which are, at least right now, sort of meh. Maybe they will be better in time. I really regret that i didn't smoke red virginia years ago so I always let Christmas Cheer get away. Wish i knew then...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is the correct answer. Buying tobacco is like buying Tesla stocks in 2011; everyone knew it was going to explode, but most people sat around and did nothing. Virtually every blend will go up in value. It might be a year, five years, or ten years, but tobacco will always go up in price.
True, but the potential rub comes with the selling of it in an increasingly restrictive regulatory environment, which isn't the case with a publicly traded stock like Tesla. That and a limited market.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The largest blind purchase I made was 8 tins of Sun Bear. I absolutely love it, so it was a good purchase for me. I regret not purchasing more, but I'm sure I'll get my chance again.
My largest blind purchase was also 8 tins of Sun Bear, but I don't love it yet. Maybe some day....

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.