PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We're indoctrinated to do challenging stuff as an ethic, but part of the wisdom of age is to give up some of that self-validation and be responsible instead, for our families if not ourselves. There are plenty of duties and much self-sacrifice demanded anyway, be assured.

Reactions: kurtbob and Gecko

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a million of these stories.

One day after school, senior year of h.s I believe. We were skiing at MT Tom in Springfield Mass. Me and my crew dropped some acid as usual and got on the slopes. Maybe after an hour I was cooking down the lest hand side of the main slop as that is where the good snow was pushed. and I was a good skier. All of a sudden I caught and edge and was out of control. I was headed for one of the snow guns that was gut high. I thought I was a dead man. I cut hard left into the woods and I had just gotten off crutches for a knew injury. All of sudden time just stops. I knew it was the acid and as I flying through the woods in slow mow, all I could think of was my knee.. I was saying to my self no fucking way all in slow mo. I brace for impact and slam into a tree. I am on my ass and start feeling around to see if any thing is broken, I felt my bad knew last and it was fine. I guess I had gotten my skis out far enough to hit the trees with them instead of me. Needless to say I stayed in the middle of all the slopes and never went to the sides again if the slopes had snow guns on them.

Reactions: kurtbob

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Hurting oneself sucks and as you get older you are reminded of the times you messed up by aches when the weather changes.

Hope you heal well shikano53!

I once had an old wooden V ladder collapse under me when I was changing a light bulb above a loading dock. Ended up on top of a pile of broken wood and nails 14 feet below. Amazingly completely unscathed except for a few bruises.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
last time I thought well it's all over was really pretty gross to be honest. My life flashed before my eyes and it's nice to know I am mostly contented with how I've lived my life. Mostly. I don't ever want to see that much blood come out of me especially like that. :) Then there was the one time if I wouldn't have tied my shoe when I did a huge tree branch would have fallen on my head, it was heavy enough to bounce me off the ground slightly like half an inch when I was five feet away or so. My worst fall didn't make me think death just long term pain. You know you've hurt yourself when every doctor you see looks at you like what the f^#% when you say no I don't really need any stronger pain killers and when they tell you that's not a seven it's an 8 or 9. I was pretty incapacitated for a week. Worst part was laying down it hurt so bad to get out of bed. Have you ever though I could just stay here so what if I piss my bed, before trying to move again. There are plenty more and what surprises me is how the moment you think nope not gonna make it everything seems to get really calm suddenly.

I am really glad that all of you are here to tell your tales. Stay safe!

I was T-Boned on the driver side by a teen who decided to take a left turn without yielding on a local highway when I was going at 50 mph. I saw him move, realized I was going to hit, slammed on the brakes, got hit on the engine bay, got blinded by the airbags and by the fact my glasses came out, lost control of the car and hit a lamppost. Everything happened in a flash, I felt it being very impersonal like a video game. I got out, opened the rear door to get my elder son out (Who was 8 then) and was crying uncontrollably, and surprised a bunch of Good Samaritans who had come on over to help. I was full of Adrenaline, and was blind (glass fell off) and it took some effort by the people to make me sit. I got my glasses back after quite some time.
Thankfully all I got from the accident was a severe bruise in my chest muscles possibly from the air bags, and my son some deep cuts in his stomach from the seat belt.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Every time I rode my motorcycle. The roads have become too dangerous since smart phones hit the market. Haven't ridden in two years so the bike goes up for sale this spring.
not telling anyone what to do. But after working for radiologists I would never ride a bike or go on a roof. When I'd get my packet of reports to check on before sending off where they needed to go you knew someone was riding a motorcycle or feel off a roof because you got one case that was the size of a book instead of a page or two long. Favorite one guy was at a red light and someone didn't slow down their bumper caught his tire and threw him off the bike. Not super serious injuries but pretty fucked up for a low speed fender bender. Best part is how long we had to fight the insurance company who used the complete and utter bullshit excuse that he shouldn't have been riding a motorcycle under such poor conditions (poor conditions as in around dusk).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hurting oneself sucks and as you get older you are reminded of the times you messed up by aches when the weather changes.

Hope you heal well shikano53!

I once had an old wooden V ladder collapse under me when I was changing a light bulb above a loading dock. Ended up on top of a pile of broken wood and nails 14 feet below. Amazingly completely unscathed except for a few bruises.
how I describe being in your 40's. Not too bad except sometimes you are all like why is my (fill in the blank) hurting right now? Oh yeah cause that thing I did when I was 20 that seemed like no big deal. You know when got rough and then had to limp slightly for about 20 to 30 minutes, yeah it comes back. At least I don't get caught without my umbrella often. Good my knees and shoulders and ankles hurt better pack the umbrella.

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
Yesterday while sitting in the garage enjoying a bowl of Happy Brown Boogie, once I was finished, I decided to hang my bike up for the season. My wife and I hang our bikes upside down from the garage ceiling. Mine hangs directly over my main work bench but I need the extension ladder to hang it up.
I extended the ladder to 14 feet. I knew the moment I got up on the ladder it didn’t feel right and I should have stopped. With my head brushing the ceiling, and holding my upside down bike in my right arm trying to get the front wheel on the front hook, I felt the ladder go. There was nothing I could do but fall. I fell 13 feet. What really saved me was the things I hit on my way to the concrete. The first thing I hit was my shop vise. I slide off it and slammed into my now upside down bicycle on the bottom rail of the bike and slide along the chain before it dumped me on the concrete. So the primary areas of concern is my Right wrist, right side which feels like a cracked rib, and my left knee. Unfortunately it happened on a Friday and I’m not going to the hospital. The hospitals are overflowing and crowded with people waiting to get checked for Covid and I’m not going there. I guess I’ll just wait until Monday and if I can go to my walk in clinic they can maybe send me to the x-ray clinic and in so doing by passing the hospital and at least let them have x-ray those areas. In the meantime I am pretty much holed up and trying to just stay as still as I can so as not to aggravate each area.
My adventure from yesterday. Weather is beginning to change toward winter and whether we have snow before Halloween is anyone’s guess.
I'm generally very careful and my kids and wife make fun of my safety protocols. Yesterday I skipped a shit of them because I was stupid.
Glad to hear you survived. Last year a friend fell from a ladder in his garage. He hit his head on the concrete floor and died a few days later. Ladders are very dangerous. I’m 73 years old and no way will I consider getting on one.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’ll relate an interesting story. I was at a fire scene and I had to crawl over a collapsed roof to get to the room of origin. So I enter the room of origin and step on a large mirror hidden under insulation. A broken piece of mirror enters my boot from the side. I reach down with my Leatherman and pull it out. Photograph it with a quarter for comparison and keep working. The other investigator was freaked out. I kept working. We finished. Crawled back over the roof and out of the structure. When I got to my truck I pulled my blood soaked boot off. It was a Friday before a holiday weekend. I didn’t want to deal with a hospital so I stitched myself up. Drove 7 hours home. Had some scotch and my first cigar, after watching YouTube videos on how to smoke a cigar.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Had an encounter on Kodiak one time at about 10 feet with a pissed off brown bear sow who had some cubs. Coincidentally, she and I both had that “oh fuck I’m dead” thought - she ended up being right.

There was another time like 11 years ago where I was flying this A320 out of LaGuardia and ran into a flock of birds. I was positive it was game over but decided to try landing her in the Hudson Bay. Pretty much executed it flawlessly and all the passengers are alive to talk about it today.

The only other one I can think about is this time where I had recently lost in a split decision boxing match, subsequently blowing most of the prize money and endorsement money, and ended up in a rematch. It was the fifteenth round of the fight and I was sure that I was going to die but somehow, miraculously, ended up knocking down the reigning world heavyweight champion, proving to myself, my corner guy, Mickey, my wife Adrian, and even the champ, Apollo, that I had what it takes.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Had an encounter on Kodiak one time at about 10 feet with a pissed off brown bear sow who had some cubs. Coincidentally, she and I both had that “oh fuck I’m dead” thought - she ended up being right.

There was another time like 11 years ago where I was flying this A320 out of LaGuardia and ran into a flock of birds. I was positive it was game over but decided to try landing her in the Hudson Bay. Pretty much executed it flawlessly and all the passengers are alive to talk about it today.

The only other one I can think about is this time where I had recently lost in a split decision boxing match, subsequently blowing most of the prize money and endorsement money, and ended up in a rematch. It was the fifteenth round of the fight and I was sure that I was going to die but somehow, miraculously, ended up knocking down the reigning world heavyweight champion, proving to myself, my corner guy, Mickey, my wife Adrian, and even the champ, Apollo, that I had what it takes.

You forgot to mention the time you were the captain of a cargo ship that was hijacked by Somali pirates ?

All stories are great ? but yours is fantastically heroic.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I’ll relate an interesting story. I was at a fire scene and I had to crawl over a collapsed roof to get to the room of origin. So I enter the room of origin and step on a large mirror hidden under insulation. A broken piece of mirror enters my boot from the side. I reach down with my Leatherman and pull it out. Photograph it with a quarter for comparison and keep working. The other investigator was freaked out. I kept working. We finished. Crawled back over the roof and out of the structure. When I got to my truck I pulled my blood soaked boot off. It was a Friday before a holiday weekend. I didn’t want to deal with a hospital so I stitched myself up. Drove 7 hours home. Had some scotch and my first cigar, after watching YouTube videos on how to smoke a cigar.
reminds me of when I had a huge glass shard go into my hand bounce off of one of the metacarpal of my pinky finger. Yeah you don't notice it right away. In fact I found out it happened because I was visually following that trail of blood thinking who the hell is bleeding like that until I followed it right to my feet and saw that my apron looked like it had been on a murder spree. Thankfully nothing important got hit (that's how I found out what will make a doctor call you lucky.).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

Wow the life of a movie aficionado is rough.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Now you guys got me going. Anyone know about Rick's Cafe in Negril Jamaica ? No big deal if not. They have a spot on a rock wall that has a jump of around 65 feet. I had always stayed away from it as I have been to Negril plenty of times and had no desire to jump of the thing.. One day I am drunk as a skunk fucked up on other shit as well so I take a running jump off the cliff. I landed good, feet down and straight, that was shit luck. The worst part of this whole thing is clawing your way to the surface, it seems like it takes forever and you are definitely going to run out of oxygen, that was the scary shit, not so much the jump if you're fucked up enough.

Here is another scary one. I am scuba diving in Aruba and we are diving a German freighter going in and out of it. The rule in scuba diving is, you hit the red mark on the air gauge and that means you have 500 pounds of air left. So being the dumb ass I am I ignored it for a little as I wanted to see more shit. I begin my ascent and I am down to 200 pounds. I sucked that tank dry to the bone and made it back up sucking the air as soon as I hit it. I never did a stupid thing like that again. Stupid meaning I adhered to the red mark all the time after.

Now for maybe a littler stupider. I drank a glass of mushroom tea, started tripping balls and then went scuba diving. It was only a 40-50 footer so no big deal. The colors and fish and coral were so fucking amazing I couldn't believe it and I had been diving for years.

When we were through and on the boat leaving the reef, I told the dive master what I did and then started laughing my ass off cause everything is funny when you are tripping. He gave me a look like he wanted to murder me which only made me laugh even harder. He told me don't you ever dare come to my company again to scuba dive. I said no sweat I just wanted to try it once. I used to snorkel tripping a bunch so the one dive was enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.