Ever Hate a Pipe for Reasons Other Than the Way It Smokes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Estate Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
New Accessories
2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Saugeen

Lurker
Jan 15, 2021
Flesherton, Ontario Canada
Every discerning and intelligent person has felt what you are feeling. We all have different degrees of acceptance of imperfections. I hate most pipes because most pipes have imperfections. I like some imperfections, other imperfections ruin a pipe for me. I care about symmetry and physical form. I am less concerned about cosmetic issues.

My filtered Savinelli had a similar problem to what you describe. I think in my case there was a shard of vulcanite hanging off the inside of the stem, deep down where the balsa filter goes.

If you don't like the pipe then stop using it. Give to a friend, sell it, whatever. You can get another pipe to replace it. If you don't have the money right now, then eventually you will.

I have no guilt or shame about discarding items that I don't enjoy owning. If a luxury item, such a pipe, gives me any kind of irritation or evokes any anxiety then it is gone. If I had a friend that always pissed me off then I would remove them from my life. The same thing applies to cars, applicances, whatever. To me, you can't put a price on that.
I have had the same experience. I started with straight dublins or slight variations thereof. Over the years I’ve moved mainly to some kind of rustication in bent Apple or straight billiard shape. For me it’s all about the hand feel. My Julius Vesz is my favourite. I also kept a couple lightweight pots for when I’m riding the mower.

Reactions: OzPiper

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I detest most straight pipes, there are some exceptions in my collection, but overall I find them uncomfortable compared to my half or full bent units. I have a short face and most straight Billiards or Zulus are too hard to see the top of when lighting, Pisses me right off. Straight pots are fine though.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
I can say that my Peterson 302 Standard System smokes very well, but I just can not stand many things that pipe has.

First, the system itself works decently, but just annoys me when I am not around any tissues to dump the resevoir before I dump the ashes.

Second, the army mount nickel itself is starting to unhinge a little. I can twist it a little from side to side, not too much but it only got worse from not moving at all. A serious issue because the whole system relies on it.

Third, when I first bought it, I needed a reliable pipe I can smoke back to back. I noticed a couple of issues such as the wood being chipped on the bowl. But I said screw it since I have heard how reliable it is meant to be. All that nickel mount and moisture resoviour should help anyone in smoking it back to back without much rest is something I needed at first. The only problem is, it was a problem. It had some of its wood chipped a little here and there, not a bonus overall.

Fourth, for some reason, it does not hold savinelli 9mm filters. Weird. Since I only get those 9mm. Though it holds its 6mm adapter or other 9mm filters (though also, I found some inconsistencies still )

Fifth, the acrylic stem is pressure fit, and it sometimes just dislocates and the bowl itself falls like a sad tune. it only happened twice, and now I really make sure I “fitted” the stem well. But now, I got some serious scratches on the stem. This may be my own mistake by not finding the “right” medium of pressure, but it is just something on top of all of the things on mentioned

Overall, I still smoke the pipe. It smokes nicely, but it is not in my daily rotation. It is too inconsistent and overall the quality control seems very poor, not just poor.

• Sad

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Oh sure. I have a meerschaum lined bent bulldog Mrs. Rookie got me for Xmas last year that I do not care for at all. I think it's Chinese meer lined plastic. But since it's a gift from her, I can't file it away in the special cabinet. So that one lives in her car and I smoke it around her.

There are others that don't do it for me. One or two two of them have found their way into that special filing cabinet, the plastic lined round one. Others were gifts, so they're displayed by not used.

My grandfather used to say life is too short to hunt over an ugly dog. But then, in the same breath, either beauty is in the eye of the beholder (which makes sense because it's certainly not in some dogs or pipes) or something along the lines of true beauty is firm following function (damn engineers). So I'm looking at the sum of his wisdom being if it works for you, great. If it doesn't, stop.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Not being able to run a pipe cleaner while assembled can be annoying sometimes, but I wouldn’t say that I hate any of them. If I did, I’d probably just them…

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't say that a pipe has ever inspired either hate or love in me. It's more like repulsion or attraction. On that basis, I find a lot of pipes repellent for reasons of design, especially in this day and age of individual expression. But when a pipe performs well for me I am always attracted to it, regardless of how butt ugly it is.