Ever Hate a Pipe for Reasons Other Than the Way It Smokes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have this Savinelli - Smokes well - Problem is lately, every time I smoke it there's an issue
I just came off a 6 month hiatus from smoking, and this pipe is the cause of a lot of anxiety and is making me despise the experience and pleasure in it.

The thing that provoked this was the past two events I smoked this pipe I noticed that there is some peeling/shredding/unfinished edges of rubber/plastic on the tenon of the stem
The last go round I shoved a balsa filter in there and left it as is, figuring 'best left alone, and its normal wear and tear and stable"
Today I noticed some of that shredded edge chipped off into the water bowl upon rinsing prior to smoking - I still refrained from playing with it
I made sure to blow through the stem to make sure there were no more plastic/rubber flakes
Upon lighting the bowl I could have sworn a tiny bit of that peeled flake hit the back of my throat and still feels like its lodged somewhere in there for the past hour.
Well after the smoke I just ripped the peeling edge off the tenon and what do you know? voila, clean margin came right off - but you know what I felt after- "Why couldn't I have just done that before the smoke!?" "now I may have swallowed some of that crap or it's lodged in the back of my throat"
To top it off don't know if this was just a bad day for me but when I dump the bowl a miraculous gust of wind blew the ash right into my face and all over me.:mad:

Other than that, The pipe won't pass a pipe cleaner within and through the chamber that well
You ever feel like a pipe can cause you such unease? Smoking Anxiety and Distress!

Last edited by a moderator:

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Yes. I hated my Brigham 316 because the company refused to communicate with me over email. So to get revenge, I rusticated it! Now it's my Latakia pipe and I like it much better. I also boycott Brigham products and imports. They make crap pipe cleaners and I refuse to buy any tobacco they import or make. At one point Brigham was my "Dunhill" but no longer. I'll be looking to Ashton for my birth year pipe now. It's kind of a shame because Brigham makes some nice pipes, but if a company can't communicate then it doesn't matter how they interpret a shape.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My experience has been that over the years my tastes have changed. As a result, many of the pipes which I bought when the large (and small) online vendors arrived, dazzled me at first and my PAD was raging. As a result I bought some pipes which I began to avoid almost immediately as they were not what I thought I was buying. Others, like some large Ardor pipes (perfectly fine pipes which I would now not even look at as they are much too large and heavy for me) were eventually traded. I fell in love with The Castello 55 and the Castello 10 and still have a number of them. However, in time the stem work has become annoying and I have moved toward Radice's E series as their stems are much more comfortable. I also just purchased a Dunhill 3903 and really like it although it is a maximum nosewarmer. Perhaps, I am too fickle.

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
Every discerning and intelligent person has felt what you are feeling. We all have different degrees of acceptance of imperfections. I hate most pipes because most pipes have imperfections. I like some imperfections, other imperfections ruin a pipe for me. I care about symmetry and physical form. I am less concerned about cosmetic issues.

My filtered Savinelli had a similar problem to what you describe. I think in my case there was a shard of vulcanite hanging off the inside of the stem, deep down where the balsa filter goes.

If you don't like the pipe then stop using it. Give to a friend, sell it, whatever. You can get another pipe to replace it. If you don't have the money right now, then eventually you will.

I have no guilt or shame about discarding items that I don't enjoy owning. If a luxury item, such a pipe, gives me any kind of irritation or evokes any anxiety then it is gone. If I had a friend that always pissed me off then I would remove them from my life. The same thing applies to cars, applicances, whatever. To me, you can't put a price on that.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
My filtered Savinelli had a similar problem to what you describe. I think in my case there was a shard of vulcanite hanging off the inside of the stem, deep down where the balsa filter goes.
Exactly - is yours like the one pictured on my other thread?

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have tried to like Savinelli and Perterson (flame on) but just can’t. I can’t really put my finger on why. I’ve tried different packing, different tobacco and slower smoking. Nothing makes them work for me. I’ll stick with old Charatan, old Dunhills, Castillo’s and old Comoys. I have a Lee, a Lowe or two, a few old GBDs that are ok too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had good luck with Savinelli going way back to buying one, brand-unknown, an unfinished pipe out of a basket, a pipe that still smokes well and has "finished" itself into a rather deep walnut seeming stain. However, if I have annoyances with a pipe, I fix it or trade it off. I have a good briar freehand Thompson Cigar house pipe ("West Germany") that had a P-lip stem that oxidized no matter how often I polished it back to a shine. A new stem fixed that, tortoise shell, that looks much better. Pipes are to enjoy, so when I don't enjoy them, i do something.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Every discerning and intelligent person has felt what you are feeling.
It's a problem quickly resolved with a trip to the trash can. Why would an intelligent and discerning individual, let alone every intelligent and discerning individual, let an inanimate object take control of his emotions. Just chuck it and forget it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Years ago, I bought a Ben Wade panel billiard with a nice deep blast that I got for an excellent price, and it smoked well enough. But the finish was glossed up, and even after years of smoking still looked totally plastic. It was difficult to part with it, but I finally traded it in on store credit. I liked everything about it but that glossy finish that wouldn't go away.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Not hate - too strong an emotion !

Dislike, yes. Received a pipe by mistake (in the place of one I'd bought) and the vendor didn't want it returned. It wasn't to my taste (the shape) so I gifted it to a friend. He is very happy with it and says it is one of his best smokers.

Life is too short to put up with things that generate angst

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
Exactly - is yours like the one pictured on my other thread?
On my pipe the extra piece of plastic was inside the stem. All the way inside. Deep inside where you insert the filter.