PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I must admit, I like the stronger things in life. Dark, strong porters and stouts; strong flavored sweet tea, dark roasted coffees and dark, strong and flavorful tobaccos. Every once in a while, depending on how I've eaten, one will set my head to spinning, but I enjoy it when it happens. Puts a smile on my face when it does. Reminds me of what I'm truly enjoying is something to savor. I haven't had anything I'd consider too strong, but have you? Is there something out there that you've tried and said it's too strong for you? I might be interested in it if you have. Just might be right up my alley!

I discovered a few years ago that the darker, bolder a coffee is the less caffeine it has. The most caffeinated coffees are the light roasts, because cooking the bean kills all the good stuff in it. I've heard the same about beers, but I have no first hand knowledge on this.
No, I haven't found a tobacco too strong, but I am still looking. :puffy:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have found many tobaccies too strong nicotine wise, But as a rule, I liked the flavors in these strong' blends,so I hope to grow up enough to be able to revisit them once again down the road,

@Cosmic, Yes I have heard before that coffee thing You told, unfortunately, our country, yet Sweden has the highest rates globally when it comes to Coffee consumption, and most people are preferring lighter roasts here,but it ain't me, I do like like coffees roasted as dark as night though I'm more of a tea drinker by profession

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I tried Samuel Gawith Kendal Twist Black. It was too strong for me. I didn't like it.
I discovered a few years ago that the darker, bolder a coffee is the less caffeine it has. The most caffeinated coffees are the light roasts, because cooking the bean kills all the good stuff in it. I've heard the same about beers, but I have no first hand knowledge on this.
That is right about light roast coffee having more caffeine than dark roast. With beer, it really depends. Dechutes Abyss is black black black and 11% ABV which fits my definition for a "big beer". The highest alcohol beer I've had was much lighter in color though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sure I could find something that would make me dizzy. I've tried some strong ones, the black rope, but not the brown that is stronger. The 4noggins tobacco, Tambolaka from Indonesia, I think it was. If you approach the strong stuff with respect, try it out in a measured amount, on a full stomach while being properly hydrated, usually you can do okay. If people are nicotine or otherwise sensitive, I don't think it's a happy way to smoke. Sometimes mild or medium tobaccos are a good change of pace and make the strong stuff more interesting when it comes around on the rotation.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Not really, but I've had too much sometimes. My strongest blends are Royal Yacht, 1792 and thereabouts, and I smoke them with pleasure and a drink during weekends or while reading in the evening, but I can't take them when I'm working. I'll light a bowl of some virginia in the morning, FVF, Dunhill Flake, Capstan or something, and it will easily satisfy till noon.

Sometimes I've started the day with ODF or even Royal Yacht, and it's too much. My hands are shaking, I'm sweating, hiccups and stuff.

So yes. Or no. It depends.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Not really a case of tobacco being too strong, but a case of over-doing it.
The first time using flake tobacco (Capstan Blue), I took 2 and 1/2 flakes, but them in a big pot pipe, poured a drink and headed to the back deck. About 3.5 hours later I finally put the pipe to bed, and headed to bed myself. Woke up some time later dizzy as heck, worst case of cold sweats I think I have ever had, completely drenched from head to toe is sweat. Trying to walk was more of a slightly controlled fall in a planned direction, except the room kept rotating.
20 years of smoking some damn strong cigars, I never once had nic hit me like that, so I was completely shocked that I got my butt kicked by my pipe.
I love Capstan Blue, so it's not too strong for me, but apparently 3.5 hours of non-stop smoking it is.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Macbarren HH Bold kentucky is too strong for me. I wonder if I will be able to handle it at some point.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Gawith Hoggarth & Co. - Brown Irish X.

It's the strongest I've tried. Enjoyed it for a few minutes and then suddenly any need to smoke more was gone for some time. Not that it's too strong, a small bowl with several intervals during relights works just fine. When I had smoked Nightcap for the first time I had to sit down and since then I don't joke with these nic bombs.

Also love HH Bold Kentucky, CD Billy Budd and GL Pease Jack Knife Plug but I often add some pure virginia.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
First thing when I wake up, I take my medicine, start a pot of coffee, and I smoke GH&C Dark Flake Unscented for breakfast. Well, either that, or HH Bold Kentucky, or Gawith Brown No. 4 Twist. So have I ever had a blend be too strong?
Yes! All of those blends can be too strong for me if I overindulge, or if I smoke it at the wrong time. In addition to needing the nicotine, I also truly love those blends, and sometimes I'll smoke a bowl in the evening after I've had a few bowls of something else, and all of a sudden, I feel the need to lie down for a while. One of the most unpleasant bouts of nicotine sickness I ever had was from Old Joe Krantz. Smoked a bowl after dinner, but because of the cut and its dryness, I finished a decent sized bowl in like a half hour. Wanted more, so I packed another... Not a good decision. Basically, sometimes I disrespect Lady N and get smacked for it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My absolute favorite and upper limit for strength is GH&C Dark Flake Unscented. I have to smoke smaller bowls to keep from getting knocked down by it and even with smaller bowls I only smoke it after a decent meal.
I know it's a strong tobacco but I also know there are stronger out there. And I'm kinda frightened about those...

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Speaking of strong beer, this sign is hanging in the Sierra Nevada brewery.
strong-beer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.