PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
G&H Dark Plug (Unscented)
I've been keeping an eye out for that one to try for comparison to the flake version. No joy yet but TP has the flake in stock. I ordered 2 500g packs yesterday which, at the rate I smoke it, will probably last longer than I will.
I think I'll have some tonight!

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
So far only bayou night has put me out. A lot of things to take into consideration surrounding that experience. I’ll have to try it again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I may be repeating, but try "too strong" tobacco in a filter pipe, whatever one you have, and also try mixing it with a mild blend until you get it where you like it.

"Strong" doesn't mean the same for everyone. Strong nicotine, and strong tasting tobaccos, strong caffeine, and strong robust coffee, and strong alcohol content and strong flavored beer all have their grey areas.
There are some tobaccos, especially latakia blends with low nicotine that I just don't enjoy because of their stronger flavor, but strong nicotine has it's place for me. Like Workman says, if you know your tobaccos and where to place it in your day, everything is fine. I prefer to smoke the heaviest nicotine blends before bed, because I would have to take a nap directly after smoking them earlier in the day. Maybe some folks have the time for that, but I prefer to focus on flavor during the day while I am up and working.
But, give me the blond roast coffee earlier in the day while I need to get my motor running, but later in the day after dinner, I will drink a lower caffeinated coffee with a darker roast for flavor.
Alcohol just doesn't have much of a place in my day, but to each their own.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
There are few blends that definitely give me some nicotine kick, let say "5 brothers", so I need to use a smaller size pipes.

Talking just about acute effects of nicotine, its bizarre. According to DSM-5, there is no such diagnoses as "Tobacco/nicotine intoxication", but there are plenty works describing typical symptoms of "acute nicotine intoxication". Why its that way, beats me, no clue. Condition exist, Dx not.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
First time I smoked Royal Yacht...

It was first thing in the morning that day. I thought it tasted mysteriously delicious so I was puffing vigorously. Ten minutes of that and I had to put the pipe down. I felt like a sixth grader behind the dumpster at school choking back a Marlboro Red he found on the ground.
After that I respected the Yacht.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Ever had a car too fast?

Ever had a woman too pretty?

I have never had a pipe tobacco too strong, but I have had a cigar make me sweaty and nauseous a few times. Just this week, I had an AJ Fernandez/Caldwell cigar do this to me. I ate a few pieces of fresh pineapple and was better pretty quick.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Bob Marshbanks at the Pipe Den in Vero Beach has a blend called Balken that put me back on my heels in both taste and nicotine content. I'll revisit it this winter and see how I fair.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
No, I haven't found a baccy that's too strong for me - so far.
I think this is probably a matter of personal body chemistry and build up of tolerance.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Cosmic has a good point. I try to specify nicotine strength vs flavor strength/intensity, but sometimes I don't. Bengal Slices is pretty mild in nicotine but quite full in flavor. On the flip side, something like Dark Flake U/S is strong in terms of nicotine, but is probably only a medium in terms of flavor strength for my palate. The scented version would be full or strong on both accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.