PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A definite game of two halves. We played well in the first and were in total control then fell to bits in the second. If we play like we did in the second half against one of the top teams we'll get torn to pieces. Still, it's 3 points and a win in our next game against Denmark and we'll qualify.

Thank God Jude Bellingham is English 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🙏
That second half was terrible! Always like watching him, even when he's beating my Spurs.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
England v Denmark starts in a couple of hours. Hopefully we can play like we did in the first half of the Serbia game. We do that and we'll win the game and qualify for the knockout stages. Play like we did in the 2nd half of the Serbia game and we'll get smashed.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

DKpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2023
Denmark
England v Denmark starts in a couple of hours. Hopefully we can play like we did in the first half of the Serbia game. We do that and we'll win the game and qualify for the knockout stages. Play like we did in the 2nd half of the Serbia game and we'll get smashed.
Hello Chris.
Warming up with danish tobacco in a danish pipe and a danish cold beer 😉⚽
Mac Baren Navy Flake in a Stanwell and Royal Export.
Looking forward to a good match!

20240620_161055.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello Chris.
Warming up with danish tobacco in a danish pipe and a danish cold beer 😉⚽
Mac Baren Navy Flake in a Stanwell and Royal Export.
Looking forward to a good match!
As are we England fans. I have a soft spot for Denmark, so hopefully both teams can go through.

But we'd write, Danish tobacco; Danish pipe; Danish beer.... Ja?!?

DKpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2023
Denmark
As are we England fans. I have a soft spot for Denmark, so hopefully both teams can go through.

But we'd write, Danish tobacco; Danish pipe; Danish beer.... Ja?!?
I hope so too.
Here we write Denmark - but danish. We write England - but english and so on.....
Hope that's OK 😆

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Dire from England. Kept getting caught in possession, sloppy passing all over the pitch, lethargic. We were lucky to escape with a draw, if Denmark had won we'd have had no complaints. Apart from the goal Kane was poor, Foden was poor and the same goes for Jude Bellingham. Play like that against Germany or Spain and we'd get torn to pieces.

I was impressed with Denmark. Could they pull off a repeat of 1992? You never know.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Looking forward to the next few days as the knockout faze of the tournament begins. There's some interesting looking matches and i'd expect there to be an upset or two. Obviously, i'm looking forward to England v Slovakia but Germany v Denmark and France v Belgium look like a couple of tasty matches.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Defending champions Italy are deservedly out. They played as badly as we did the other night. Switzerland looked like a really good side and were in a different league to the Italians. If England manage to win tomorrow then we have them in the quarter finals. If Switzerland play like they did today it'll be a really tough game.

The Germany v Denmark game was good. Germany deserved the win but Denmark gave a good account of themselves. The Danes were unlucky with some of the calls and can leave this tournament with their heads held high.

Looking forward to the England v Slovakia game tomorrow. Hopefully we play a lot better than we have for most of the tournament🤞

Jun 9, 2018
England
England played terribly again but somehow we squeaked it. Thank God for Jude and Harry Kane🥳. Brilliant goal by Jude. Still, all that matters is we're through to the quarter finals against Switzerland. If Switzerland play like they did the other night and we play like we did today then we'll be on the plane home.

Looking forward to the Belgium v France game tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be a belter.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I almost walked away in extra time when I read your post! Thank heavens.
Bellingham's goal was gorgeous. Now I can enjoy Extra Time for real. (What we Yanks call "Overtime".)

But why does England pass backwards so often? Sure, it's safer, but doesn't do much for the O.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I almost walked away in extra time when I read your post! Thank heavens.
Bellingham's goal was gorgeous. Now I can enjoy Extra Time for real. (What we Yanks call "Overtime".)

But why does England pass backwards so often? Sure, it's safer, but doesn't do much for the O.
The constant passing it back and passing it sideways is all down to Southgate and the way he sets us up to play. It's a real shame because we have the players to play a much more attacking game.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's a take from the guy who got me into following the Prem ten years ago:

Well yes, but it’s the entire set up and philosophy they have that’s the problem. They never want to lose their defensive shape even when they have tons of possession, they keep too well spaced out and don’t offer angular progressive passes or even take on their opponent 1 on 1 when they have the personnel to do so.
They play bang it into the box and have Jude and Harry bully their way to the ball when this is prob the easiest thing to defend against.
So opponents stack their defences against them and they really don’t have any cohesive philosophy to advance the ball besides get it wide and cross it. Maybe if they play a team that enjoys possession England will fair better.
It’s pretty classic counterattack philosophy v possession based for the most part.