12 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can call it hoarding. Except, that is, until you do it. But in the end, it doesn't matter and if people buy 5,000 lbs with their own money, it's nobody's damn business. In some cases, people buy tobacco for the same reason a dog licks its own balls. Because they can. Don't be jealous or angry at the dog. It would be more productive to take up yoga so you could mimic him.

Oct 7, 2016
So the example you choose to use is a false equivalency.

When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”​

Your prize for being master of the Forum?

Bankers box after bankers box after bankers box of tobacco tins accumulated over 40 years by a guy who smokes mostly Kools isn’t equivalent to hoarding. OK.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Reading all the discussion about hoarding/collecting pipe tobacco makes me feel unworthy to be a part of this community. I probably have less than 12 lbs. of tobacco in the house and only 50 pipes. I smoked my first pipe in 1972 and while I have found pipe blends I will run from like a vampire from sunlight, I haven't found any blend or style that I can point at and say, "That's all I'm ever going to smoke."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’​

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’​

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”​

Your prize for being master of the Forum?

Bankers box after bankers box after bankers box of tobacco tins accumulated over 40 years by a guy who smokes mostly Kools isn’t equivalent to hoarding. OK.
Ooohh! BIG BOLD LETTERS! You offered a crappy response to something you clearly don't understand and got called on it. Boo hoo! Grow up.

You may not like the message but that doesn't make it wrong. It just means you didn't like it. And you clearly didn't understand it. So go ahead and rant to the squirrels.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can call it hoarding. Except, that is, until you do it. But in the end, it doesn't matter and if people buy 5,000 lbs with their own money, it's nobody's damn business. In some cases, people buy tobacco for the same reason a dog licks its own balls. Because they can. Don't be jealous or angry at the dog. It would be more productive to take up yoga so you could mimic him.
I do yoga, though no balls involved. Do you?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
To summarize:

[1] Estervals is shipping to the USA again, using DHL Express door-to-door;
[2] Keep your eyes on the tracking number and contact DHL immediately if there's a logistics holdup
[3] Someone had their package returned by DHL, and we don't know why, really
[4] Only one seizure has taken place, that we know of,
[5] DHL Express has claimed that there are no restrictions on tobacco
[6] I hoard tobacco
[7] It is fear ... I want my HU !
[8] I...B...T...L

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The language is semantic. People stock up in different ways for different reasons. My step-dad used to say if you have 2 of anything, you have a collection. It’s all perspective. But…in the US at least…”it will never be cheaper or easier to get…” etc.

Now back to our originally scheduled programing. From last episode…

To summarize:

[1] Estervals is shipping to the USA again, using DHL Express door-to-door;
[2] Keep your eyes on the tracking number and contact DHL immediately if there's a logistics holdup
[3] Someone had their package returned by DHL, and we don't know why, really
[4] Only one seizure has taken place, that we know of,
[5] DHL Express has claimed that there are no restrictions on tobacco
[6] I hoard tobacco
[7] It is fear ... I want my HU !
[8] I...B...T...L

Thanks @greeneyes!

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009

Gus......................​

mié, 2 jun 22:59 (hace 22 horas)
para DAN

my credit card still shows a charge of 99,15 euros?

How can you get a refund to me?

---------------------------------------------------------------

13:05 (hace 8 horas)
para mí

good day,

the amount has only been reserved, we will not debit anything.

After about 3 weeks we will release the reserved amount.

best regards
Madelyne Holst

----------------------------------------------------

that is, on top of not sending me my money for 3 weeks?

I have already claimed this, I'll tell you how it ends up
life is very curious, as soon as I notified them the file number of my complaint to the European Consumer Protection Agency...in 5 minutes my money was on my card again ....

if I stand still and don't object, they keep it for three weeks... it is clear that either you defend your rights or they trample on you.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
life is very curious, as soon as I notified them the file number of my complaint to the European Consumer Protection Agency...in 5 minutes my money was on my card again ....

if I stand still and don't object, they keep it for three weeks... it is clear that either you defend your rights or they trample on you.
You pulled out big guns :D

Best case for me was in a dispute with an airline over misplaced luggage, after spending half a day on the phone I mentioned some European directive about tickets and luggage and soon enough my bags were on the way to my house in an airline van.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I now have my DHL Express tracking number and estimated delivery date of June 15 for my Esterval order.
I hope you get it with no problems.
I had a parcel coming from Bulgaria and it arrived at Athens Airport on 6th May.Usually it then gets delivered in about 3 more days.
This one didnt update and after a week I contacted DHL and they searched for it.After a month they have declared the parcel lost.
The sender didnt send it insured and now the items (watches that had been sent for repair) have simply disappeared ,either lost or stolen.
I have had several previous parcels no problem but this one would be the one to fail as they were old and not easily replaced items

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Update on my previously mentioned order placed end of May. Order remained on track for estimated delivery of June 4th until it seemed to stall in a major SE U.S. Gateway the 2nd/3rd. No calls or emails at that point from me or DHL. Monday morning tracking status changed to delivery on "hold." in red. Still no reasoning etc... so I took @greeneyes advice and called DHL at that point.

Pleasant young lady located the file and immediately mentioned these key phrases as she (seemed to be) reading something more to herself than me. Pipe shop (said like a question to me), unk "...FDA full authority...", unk "deeming", unk "customs", unk "cigarettes"... Then she asked directly if this contained tobacco and I said legally purchased tinned pipe tobacco absolutely no cigarettes and no cigars, not that most cigars would be a problem either. She said tobacco contents was the reason for the hold.

She offered to push it to a supervisor and I accepted... again I stated legally purchased tins and not cigarettes. After a few minutes she got back on and advised I'd receive a call or email in a few hours with the explanation and outcome.

No call back received so I figured it was over and tins were heading back to Germany. But several hours later the tracking status changed with today's estimated delivery date to my door.

Received the below contents around 4pm today.

IMG_20210608_202703572_HDR.jpg

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Update on my previously mentioned order placed end of May. Order remained on track for estimated delivery of June 4th until it seemed to stall in a major SE U.S. Gateway the 2nd/3rd. No calls or emails at that point from me or DHL. Monday morning tracking status changed to delivery on "hold." in red. Still no reasoning etc... so I took @greeneyes advice and called DHL at that point.

Pleasant young lady located the file and immediately mentioned these key phrases as she (seemed to be) reading something more to herself than me. Pipe shop (said like a question to me), unk "...FDA full authority...", unk "deeming", unk "customs", unk "cigarettes"... Then she asked directly if this contained tobacco and I said legally purchased tinned pipe tobacco absolutely no cigarettes and no cigars, not that most cigars would be a problem either. She said tobacco contents was the reason for the hold.

She offered to push it to a supervisor and I accepted... again I stated legally purchased tins and not cigarettes. After a few minutes she got back on and advised I'd receive a call or email in a few hours with the explanation and outcome.

No call back received so I figured it was over and tins were heading back to Germany. But several hours later the tracking status changed with today's estimated delivery date to my door.

View attachment 83668
Thanks for the follow up. Nice haul!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Not a large, conspicuous order. I'm not happy with the apparently arbitrary nature of the holds effected by DHL employees, apparently struggling to interpret company policy.

I'm glad you got your stuff. I'm glad that you were able to contact them before an internal decision was made regarding the destiny of your stuff, giving you an opportunity to intervene.

My guess is that corporate still doesn't know about what's going on and the hammer will eventually fall (coin toss) either for or against our interests as some type of internal policy/memorandum on how to handle future orders. Eventually.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

View attachment 83668
Nice, lot's of Janneman, I love it!