PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I used to be the same until I discovered how easy it is to repair even deep indentations. Now that I'm confident in my stem restoration skills I won't pass up an estate pipe with a chewed or highly oxidized stem if the price is right.

I agree that those tooth marks have to be removed though before I'll smoke one. Even though it's not harmful, it bothers me.
Yes I could do the same I suppose. I just have too many other "hobbies" and commitments and no time to be restoring estate pipes at the moment. I'll leave that to the professionals. Have I passed on pipes that I would like to have acquired, just because the stem was chewed up? Sure. But with internet sales what they are, there are so many estate pipes available, and I'm not obsessive about acquiring particular pipes from particular makers from a particular era. I'm not really a collector. Maybe I'll become one later, once the mortgage is paid and I've acquired all the guitars I'll ever need. Haha.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Since my favorite brand of pipe hasn't been in production for over 60 years, the estate market is the only way I'm going to obtain them. Buying an estate pipe that been well maintained is generally a good value, a lot more band for the buck, and you have a wider selection of makes and styles to choose from.

There are some people who are horrified at the thought of putting their mouth in the same place that someone else's has been, and I assume they married virgins.

I don't care. Once I've done a deep cleaning and sanitizing I'm good to go. K also have pipes that I bought new, pipes I've commissioned, but the bulk are estates and I've been very satisfied with the results.
By definition a virgin of whatever gender is still a virgin even if a stem is inserted in the mouth post Mortum.

Reactions: dunnyboy

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
By definition a virgin of whatever gender is still a virgin even if a stem is inserted in the mouth post Mortum.
Wrong hole!
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Also site sponsors SmokingPipes, Blue Room Briars, Mkelaw Pipes, The Danish Pipe Shop and of course, Pipestud (Steve Fallon)

Members’ offerings on the “Pipes for Sale” section almost always come with full disclosure
I'd like to add to this list the following vendor whose estate pipes arrive in pristine, meticulously cleaned condition.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
hi forum I hear so much about estate pipes are new pipes like savinelli ok to buy or what?
A new pipe is fine to buy. All my pipes are brand new - two of them Savinellis and they both smoke great.
I think part of the attraction to estate pipes - is to collect, but as well to have the chance to smoke a pipe that would normally be outside of many's price range - like Dunhills, Castellos, etc.. Some people might not be willing to drop the money for one of these new, (and again - there are those for whom is poses no problem,).
But don't listen to me - buy one and give it a shot and see what YOU think. It's all part of the journey.