PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Jesse, you do have a way with words. I can envision a number of contributors to this thread now contemplating giving up the hobby. The estate market will see a surge of available pipes! How did humanity ever last this long without germicides?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, it could also cause the very studious to start urinating on their own pipes to better age them- or get rid of a ghost. Probably not, though....

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lots of good points here, for and against, made by many members. I guess it all boils down to individual preference. Think as you will, live as you will, and enjoy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, you do have a way with words. I can envision a number of contributors to this thread now contemplating giving up the hobby. The estate market will see a surge of available pipes! How did humanity ever last this long without germicides?
No need to thank me. It's my civic duty.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
There has been discussion, in other threads, about the benefit of urinating on briar during the aging process...
The secret of the Von Erck briar curing process, revealed.
-- Pat

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I simply have no interest in owning a used pipe.
Warren and I agree on an issue. Then again, I have no interest in owning most kinds of pipes.
I guess it all boils down to individual preference.
Or need, and an aesthetic translation of morality. Disgust is an important human sentiment.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Were it not for the estate marked, aka USED PIPES, I'd have a MUCH different selection of pipes.
+1, Nate
I encourage everyone to NOT buy estate pipes, especially on ebay, at 9PM on Saturdays. Nasty nasty estate pipes. Stay away!!!
Quadruple +, Cos!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Warren is so shy, it is always difficult to understand what he is saying :lol: I also agree with a majority of his statements which generally come down to common sense presented in a businesslike manner.
As for the hygiene argument? A well cleaned pipe is most likely safer than turning on the tap in a public restroom and then washing your hands. I suspect most buyers of used pipes put more effort into the cleaning/restoration than they do washing their hands.
I would add, and then turning the bathroom dirty tap off with your just washed hands. I also wash my hands well :mrgreen: then use a clean paper towel to turn off the tap.
When I first started collecting it disgusted me to think about a used pipe. When I started reading up on high-end cleaning techniques, retorts, etc, it made sense to me that a pipe can indeed be rendered safer than many other aspects of communal living.

Proceeding to eat after handling a restaurant menu, using public toilets, drinking out of water fountains, grabbing public door handles, setting in taxis, other peoples computer keyboards, the seats in theaters, public tooth pic dispensers, all could dampen ones joy in living if you chose to dwell on them ............. it truly is all in how you look at it.

When I first saw that there was such a thing as estate pipes, my only experience with that word "estate" was in helping people appraise the jewelry of their dead relatives or loved ones. So, I imagined someone pulling a pipe out of a dead man's mouth and putting it up for sale. I was relieved to find out that "estate" in the pipe world didn't necessarily mean someone died.

Status
Not open for further replies.