Estate Pipe has Cracks / Fissures in Bowl - Is it Repairable or Should I Return It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam

Lurker
Nov 25, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 1976 estate Dunhill shape 443 from a pipe shop in another country. They do have a return policy.

The pipe looks great except on the inside of the bowl there are many cracks / fissures all around it. It looks like trouble to me. The store told me just to smoke it gently and let the cake build up. I think it probably needs repair with a bowl coating (pipe mud) before smoking.

What do you think? Should I repair it or just send it back and look for another one?

The store rated this a 4 star pipe which is their highest rating except for unsmoked/mint condition. The pipe has been reamed all the way back to wood (no cake).forumfissure3.JPGforumfissure4.JPGforumfissure5.JPGforumfissure6.JPG

Pictures are attached. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Those are heat fissures. From previous owner smoking it to hot, wet, quick. . But honestly no big deal. Smoke it slow until you get some carbon build up. This is fairly common on estate pipes. Or as chasingembers suggested pipe mud of some sorts. Either way no big deal. Wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Still looking for fire place mortar. Didn't have it at Lowes or Ace. Going to look for it online. Am I looking for typical style mortar that needs to be mixed or does it come premixed in a tube or plastic container?
I can send you some hydrostone. Pm me

• Love
Reactions: aquadoc

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As have I, for many years. I have found that a thick paste of sodium silicilate (water glass) and activated charcoal powder gives roughly equivalent results and is a little easier to work with.
Where I've got carpal tunnel in both wrists, water glass is terribly painful to press into a chamber, but it would certainly work. That's why I buy the mortar premixed in a tube. Easier to work with.

Bam

Lurker
Nov 25, 2020
Will they refund a portion of the value? If not, I’d return it.

No part refund option, I already challenged them on their 4 star rating. They seem to think its fine. They said in an email, "I believe you shall just smoke it gently and build up some cake. We have not considered it an issue and when we rate it four its an subjective rating. Considering the pipe is 44 year old and smokable we thought its a four."

But their website defines a 4 star rating as:

------------------------------------------------------
4 (****): Very good condition
The pipe is in a very good condition, no bite marks and almost no scratches. Logos and marking are visible. This rating is used for the best presmoked and most of the unsmoked estate pipes. When we don't rate an unsmoked pipe five stars it's because it is not new as coming out of the box/producer. It's been handled by the owner, matte in the finish, maybe exposed to light etc.
-------------------------------------------------------

I think that the bowl should be in better condition to get a 4 rating - oh well.

Bam

Lurker
Nov 25, 2020
If the cracks are going to bother you to your bones I’d send it back for the refund. If it’s something you can live with you can either follow the advice above and do it yourself or send it out to a professional for a proper bowl coating. Those cracks are concerning but not something that can’t be repaired. Best!☕

Thanks Simmerdown and everyone else who has replied so far.

I am a little concerned about putting toxic materials in the bowl. Does anyone know if the popular waterglass/charcoal method is totally non-toxic after it has cured? Would activated charcoal mixed with ordinary water be an option for a paste to coat over the cracks with?

I am tempted to have a go at this because I like the pipe but I am leaning towards sending it back. There are no options to get this repaired professionally for a reasonable amount of money. In the city I live in (Adelaide in Australia) there are no pipe shops let alone any pipe repair places anywhere nearby.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does anyone know if the popular waterglass/charcoal method is totally non-toxic after it has cured?
When cured, both compounds are safe. The tobacco smoke is more toxic.

Would activated charcoal mixed with ordinary water be an option for a paste to coat over the cracks with?
It would, but it would be easily dislodged.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I have tried all of the above and they all work.
@chasingembers is hilariously correct, the tobacco smoke is going to be more dangerous overall.

Last time I encountered something like this I tried an old remedy that felt more eco-friendly. I coated the bowl interior with a thick mixture of ash and honey, rubbed it in very well over several minutes and then all excess removed. Then I smoked it gently for half a dozen smokes. It is now one of my favorites.
If you go the waterglass method then check out @georged (George Dibos) youtube video on this technique- it is really good and will ensure you do it correctly.
Good luck.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Those are cracks in the cake, not in the Briar, I believe. It might sand right out. Why not give it a try before resorting to anything more extreme?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'd just start smoking it. Might not get worse if you smoke it at a lower temperature than the last guy. I have one like this, I've just blocked the cracks out of my mind.

If you don't like it and they'll give you your money back.. then that's the best option.

*** edit to add: The pipe that I decided to live with was certainly not a Dunhill, I think mine was 30 bucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.