PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KingcobraJFS

Lurker
Sep 22, 2021
Welcome to the Forum.
Are you Gothic King Cobra?

Some other VaPers that I like include Marlin Flake, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Solani 633, Dablone d'Oro, St. James Flake, Fillmore, Reiner Long Golden Flake, Telegraph Hill, and Cabbie's Mixture.
I am unfortunately not graced enough to be the darklord himself, I am merely a humble devotee.

Marlin Flake, Solani, and St. James Flake are all blends that I'd love to try, but I've had trouble finding them. I'm also hesitant with Gawith blends because of their moisture level and my impatience.

Reactions: ram74 and Tar Wheel

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Esoterica Dunbar and Dorchester
Dan Salty Dogs
MacBaren HH Acadian Perique
GLP Penny Farthing
Dan St. Bernard Flake
SG St. James Flake/Plug
SG Cabbie's mixture
Savinellie Doblone D'Oro
Watch City Old Dominion
Watch City Flake 558
LJ Peretti No. 8 Slices
Sutliff Match Victorian
PH Curly Block
Rattray's Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake, and Hal O The Wynd
HU Louisiana Broken
HU Director's Cut
Dunhill (Peterson) Navy Rolls
Ken Byron Verge Engine Overdrive
Reiner Long Golden Flake

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Eso Dunbar or Dorchester or Germains Royal Jersey Perique are quite a different, sweeter kind of VaPer.

Definitely something to seek out as a point of contrast.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Well, I'll add my $0.02:

St. James Flake is my all time favorite, but as Hoosier mentioned, it is sublime with a few years' age on it. Like smoking strips of molasses candy.

GLP Stonehenge is another that I love. It is nice fresh, but again, age can do wonders. A collaboration with Gawith and it looks more like a Gawith product more so than a GLP/C&D product. Just the tiniest hint of cocoa in the tin. Some say that it has a Lakeland essence, and I can occasionally detect something floral/herbal in it, but it is not off-putting at all to me.

Another favorite is GLP Fillmore. This one is interesting because it has just a whisper of Latakia in it. I could only really detect it in the tin after I read that it did indeed contain it. But I cannot detect it at all in the smoke itself. But the blend is very "creamy", which I attribute to just the tiniest bit of the dark leaf.

And I have a few pounds of Luxury Navy Flake set aside. For the price, it just can't be beat.

And last but, but not least, Sutliff's Cringle Cake. If it is released again this holiday season, I suggest stocking up on it. It is rich and tangy and offers a lot of complex flavors. The 2020 batch had 15yr aged Perique in it (I think). It is in the same realm of a well-aged McClelland 2015 Flake, but it is not an exact match by any means.

And to be honest, I think I prefer the Cringle Flake over the last little bit of 2015 that I have squirreled away, but that could just be my wishful thinking so I don't break down and cry when the last of the 2015 is gone.

I've got some other Va/Per tins aging, but they are mostly the C&D Small Batch stuff from a couple of years ago and I haven't smoked any yet, so no way of knowing if I really like them or not.