PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I know nothing about "Hard to Find" brands. I buy the High-Priced items (reg prices) in two local stores and when they come in, the store managers reward's me and at those Retail prices. Nov and Dec finds. As with Esoterica, not chasing the brand anymore.

View attachment 185856

I spy my favorite ECBP in the back against the wall.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
As much as a lark as anything, I picked up an 8oz bag at retail costs today at a retailer. Same bag priced on line by resellers..., HA HA HA HA.

Give me a break.

I was able to get two blends of the Esoterica line up I do like this drop, at retail pricing. 2 8oz bags from one B&M near me and 2 tins of each of the two blends I like from a online retailer.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I was able to get two blends of the Esoterica line up I do like this drop, at retail pricing. 2 8oz bags from one B&M near me and 2 tins of each of the two blends I like from a online retailer.
So for whatever reason, I prefer Pembroke. I just do. And, I enjoy And So to Bed.

If...., and it is a big if, I see these two just lying around, yes, I will buy them. BUT only what I need right then and there.

I share in your delight at finding some tobacco at a decent price.

For those who prefer to wait at the dock and exchange some prearranged cash...

I can't imagine hoarding it let alone doing so knowing that someone else is in line behind me.

Decency is just that.

Like our fathers all said, "Ethical Behavior is doing the right thing when no one is looking."

The same can be said about decency. It is doing what is right, not just for yourself, but for those around you. Or, as Christ said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
My whole thoughts on the Esoterica blends being snatched up immediately.... it reminds me all too well of what is going on in the bourbon world. Use to be able to walk into the liquor store and pick up bottles like Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T Lee, EH Taylor SmB, SIB, etc..... now they are considered "allocated" and most stores do raffles on these items. Worse, some stores sell for near secondary pricing. It really does appear that most of these bottles, that are sold at retail, are picked up by guys with nothing better to do than wait in line for hours just to flip the bottle. They all know the store release dates.

I do enjoy a few of the Esoterica blends, still haven't tried Penzance or Stonehaven. Thankfully the ones I do like, If I get the urge and know there is a drop, I can still somewhat easily source those with a little legwork.
I know one of those bourbon buying/flipping/trading guys. He’s basically a lush who does shit else. If his company sends him to a new state or country he’s looking for bourbon. He also spends a lot of time locally scouring stores and hopping the state line to check another store. Esoterica is the Pappy of the pipe world it seems. I always maintain that there are d-bags in every strata of life, even certain strata with high entry fees don’t seem to filter them out. I suspect these folks are lacking something in their lives, not sure what.

telescopes

Thank you. I do too. Feels like an AA meeting… 🤣

Regarding Christ’s words - they often produce extreme dissonance in my soul when it comes to TAD. Heck I can’t even hate the unscrupulous folks who may, in all likelihood, cause me to realize my FOMO.
FOMO. That is most likely the reason Esoterica is bought up the way it is.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I didn't buy any...

If someone wants to buy a shithouse full and flip it, more power to them. Whiskey, concert tickets, sports tickets, tobacco, etc. It's their prerogative, no skin off my ass. I consider them to be enterprising... No judgements.
But. I used to be naïve enough to think that pipe smokers were built just differently enough to withstand the onslaught of the Instagram everybodyseewhatigot nonsense.
I was sadly mistaken.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com

Like our fathers all said, "Ethical Behavior is doing the right thing when no one is looking."

You're making a charitable assumption about my parentage, there. I came from a more "there are them what get bought, and them that do the buying" kind of household.

The ethics you speak of were learned later in life when I eventually realized that the quality of companions one keeps suffers when one lives by such a creed.

telescopes

You're making a charitable assumption about my parentage, there. I came from a more "there are them what get bought, and them that do the buying" kind of household.

The ethics you speak of were learned later in life when I eventually realized that the quality of companions one keeps suffers when one lives by such a creed.
Well said.

I thought those were predominantly coded communiqués between various intelligence networks.
When my pipe stem is pointed to the right in the WAYS thread, that means to assassinate the person posted above, and when it is pointed left, that means that Jiminks has called off all hits. When the lid is off of the tobacco in the picture that means that Jiminks has all intell and the shitshow is about to happen. puffy

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Probably why the “What are you smoking” thread has always had the most posts… 🤔

As to what jpberg also said, I am built different, that’s why I live where I’m at, away from the world out here, and I see many of the pipe smokers here too different, just trying to enjoy a smoke and a nice life, not caught up in the BS.

I thoroughly enjoy WAYs for connecting with my fellow pipe smokers, and get a chance to see some of their world, that’s why I’m always asking, for those that are out and about, to post some pics, let us see your world. I guess I need to start going to the beach then for everyone. LOL 😆

I could careless about Social Media, I’m not materialistic, I own very little in this world, and when I look at the pipes others share, I appreciate them for their beauty and craftsmanship.

WAYs has made me feel at times, like I might be showing off. Please never think I’m here to wave my goods in anyone’s face and show off, not cool, I’m only trying to share a moment of my life is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.