PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.

Esotericapers? sounds more like Esotericrappers to me. I like some of their blends, but I'm not going to be Hoodooed into buying a pipe I don't need, or dislike, to buy a unicorn fart blend that may take months or years to obtain. GH blends are pretty good, and I can buy crap loads of it, and so can everyone else. Prince Albert and Carter Hall are pretty good too, tastes are subjective, Just my 2 farthings worth, which doesn't amount to a penny.​

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I’ve never bought any. The stuff i tried from acquaintances was always decent. Nothing worth a large amount of money for. And if distros can push the pipes with the tobacco that will start catching on with other drops too.

Reactions: OverMountain

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Got hit by this today. Ordered some Germain’s from a B&M and was informed (after they took my order, shipping address, billing address, and card info of course) that I would be required to buy a pipe in order to purchase the Germain’s tins at $27 a pop.
I'm at a loss for words as to how screwed up that is, but if that's the game they want to play, they can keep it. Arango will no longer get my business.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
I really like their English tobaccos, and Dorchester is, of the handful of VaPers I’ve tried, the one I find most compelling. I’m happy I lucked upon a couple pounds a while ago at retail price. Also glad for the shared wisdom and experience on this sight which is exceedingly helpful in navigating the seemingly endless variation of other fine tobaccos to choose from - keeps me from turning my appreciation of Esoterica into a weird fetish.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
To be honest I don’t mind buying a pipe in order to buy a couple of bags. This prevents hoarding and most tobacco going to secondary markets.
I don’t think it will prevent hoarding at all. When you can clear hundreds per bag on tinbids what difference does a $30 basket pipe make?

Even if they are hoarding for home use, anyone who’s willing to drop $200 on 4 bags of tobacco probably won’t mind dropping $230.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Ten years ago I sold a pipe to someone and threw in a tin of Penzance just to get rid of it.

I don't want to yuck anybody's yum, so I'll just say I simply don't care for it, but could see why some people do, despite many other very similar blends that are easily obtainable. There was a time when you could very easily get it, and it's not all that long ago.

I thought that maybe this craziness would die down. But I think they unwittingly hit the sweet spot with scarcity, unrestrained hype, possible status (though that seems ridiculous), and now a secondary market that some people have decided is worth trying to make a little money from.

Not sure how much this is really benefiting the company. I guess their product is moving quicker, but are they putting more out to take advantage of the demand? Doesn't seem to be the case. If it were my company, I think I'd try to stay in this sweet spot they have and not disrupt the careful balance built up on a delusion. I think it all happened by weird shit luck, so why upset the apple cart and risk it going away like a tulip craze?

As for the secondary market, it is also very strange to me. I can't imagine trying to make a living or even having a 'side gig' slinging Esoterica on the side. Don't bother throwing the costs of bags at me... it's still relatively small potatoes in my opinion, at the scale this is on. Tough way to earn your bread.

People have the fever. It's odd to me, but strangely interesting to see.

Just very glad that I don't actually enjoy the stuff, otherwise it would be annoying.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Ten years ago I sold a pipe to someone and threw in a tin of Penzance just to get rid of it.

I don't want to yuck anybody's yum, so I'll just say I simply don't care for it, but could see why some people do, despite many other very similar blends that are easily obtainable. There was a time when you could very easily get it, and it's not all that long ago.

I thought that maybe this craziness would die down. But I think they unwittingly hit the sweet spot with scarcity, unrestrained hype, possible status (though that seems ridiculous), and now a secondary market that some people have decided is worth trying to make a little money from.

Not sure how much this is really benefiting the company. I guess their product is moving quicker, but are they putting more out to take advantage of the demand? Doesn't seem to be the case. If it were my company, I think I'd try to stay in this sweet spot they have and not disrupt the careful balance built up on a delusion. I think it all happened by weird shit luck, so why upset the apple cart and risk it going away like a tulip craze?

As for the secondary market, it is also very strange to me. I can't imagine trying to make a living or even having a 'side gig' slinging Esoterica on the side. Don't bother throwing the costs of bags at me... it's still relatively small potatoes in my opinion, at the scale this is on. Tough way to earn your bread.

People have the fever. It's odd to me, but strangely interesting to see.

Just very glad that I don't actually enjoy the stuff, otherwise it would be annoying.
Yup. Couldn’t agree more.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
My wife said to me, “why do you spend all that money and time hunting when we can go to the supermarket and buy the best cuts of steak for less money and save time?”

It’s a valid question. I enjoy hunting. It’s a valid answer. When it comes to esoterica blends…………

I enjoy the hunt.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
s for the secondary market, it is also very strange to me. I can't imagine trying to make a living or even having a 'side gig' slinging Esoterica on the side. Don't bother throwing the costs of bags at me... it's still relatively small potatoes in my opinion, at the scale this is on. Tough way to earn your bread.
I think it is for developing a sense of self-importance. puffy

I don't want to yuck anybody's yum, so I'll just say I simply don't care for it,
What surprises me, is that if any other pipe tobacco company released an English or Virginia and loaded it with licorice or treacle flavorings, people would puke in disgust. But, yet, because it is so hard to get one an Esoterica, they will post with pride while they smoke their heavily topped latakia junk.
They have a couple of blends where the topping isn't very prevalent... and those tend to be their least sought after, and many other companies do them better than they do.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I enjoy hunting too. But, when I don't waste my time hunting the harder to catch possum or racoons, when the deer are much better tasting and tend to come around much more regular.

I was thinking moose and bear. It’s near impossible up here to get tags for them but it’s fun to hunt them so that’s what I do when l can.

Same with Esoterica, I like certain blends and enjoy the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.