Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
treacle, supoosedly, whatever that is
Molasses.
Just blends with toppings.
Anymore, that tends to be the accepted definition of an aromatic. Many, not myself, consider the likes of Black Frigate and Bothy Flake as aromatics. Flavored tobaccos regardless of the source fall into the category of aro or English crossover. I mainly consider heavy Orientals the original and true aromatics while flavored blends are just flavored blends.

Reactions: rmpeeps

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I have the opportunity to grab a tin of Tilbury and Dunbar at the local cigar shop in Pensacola Fl and, having not yet tried either, was just wondering what everybody's thoughts were on these blends and any experiences with Esoterica in general. I grabbed a tin each of Rattray's Old Gowrie and C&D Haunted Bookshop, both of which I'm currently smoking and absolutely adore! So, what do y'all think?

First, welcome from another pipe smoker in Pensacola.

Second, Dunbar is a very interesting VaPer that at times gives a very intriguing smoke. For me it almost tastes aged even when it is a fresh tin. That said, my taste would run more towards Old Gowrie that you picked up over Dunbar. This maybe sacreligious, but Gowrie is such a good honest tobacco that gives me an enjoyable smoke every time.

Third, we (well there are three of us) have a very small pipe club here in Pensacola. Really it is just so we have another excuse to get together and share tobacco and talk. PM me if you are interested.

Reactions: danimalia

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Oh, I forgot, I have some Pembroke you can try if you would like. I also have a bag of Margate but it is not open and to be honest I am thinking of moving it in order to purchase other tobaccos I prefer.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
I've only tried 2 - Margate and ASTB - but have Pembroke, Dunbar and Tilbury all waiting to be opened. I'd put Margate as one of my absolute favorites, hands down.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Appreciating this topic as, this past week, I've been rotating back and forth between Dorchester, Dunbar, and Tilbury. I enjoy all of them for different reasons. I think Dunbar is my favorite but only by a small margin. I read somewhere on the TR site that Dunbar was like the darker, creamier version of Dorchester and I find that to be accurate!

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I try to keep at least one 8oz bag of each I can get my hands on, I really think Germain does tobacco right (for my tastes at least). 14397

They come pretty wet, and I think it's mostly alcohol based flavor. All the "aromatics" I've tried lost 90% of topping flavor after the tobacco is dry enough to pack. No PG gooeyness in any of the blends so far...

Brandybuck

Lurker
Dec 23, 2019
Pensacola, Florida
Whelp, I decided to get the Dunbar. I've smoked 3 bowls so far and will probably smoke another when I get home. What I have smoked, I've pretty well enjoyed, though it really is unlike any other VaPer I've had. Going to continue to play with packing, cadence, bowl size, etc...

I will say that so far, I have better luck with this one out of a briar than a cob.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I have only tried Margate and enjoy it quite a bit. Due to this pleasurable experience, I plan to try other esoterica blends soon.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Only one I've tried is ASTB... and it's stellar. It seems to get overlooked at B&Ms so, if it's a less desirable Esoterica Balkan/English, how much better is Margate?

Status
Not open for further replies.